Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
Where do we get the Monster Muffler?
http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...O-Monster-ATV/

Haven't seen on on auction for awile though.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ripper
haha sorry guys i guess that would eb some important stuff to include. i have the mikuni carb,performance cdi and have a new spark plug. i am afraid to say that i still have teh same oil that came in the quad :oops: (runs and ducks for covver) i guess ive been kind of lazy on that end of things. it seems that its kind of a back fire but not like a really loud gunshot (unlike my nearly pre historic riding lawn mower :twisted: ) but anyway it really makes me upset because just when im getting going good and fast it will do that and it kinda feels almost like soeone tapped the breaks because of the deceleration. i guess thats a best as i can describe it for you.
To me it sounds like what my beast was doing before i adjusted and rejetted the carb, before you go rejetting may i ask where the jet needle clip is at?, if there is room to move the clip down on the needle i would try that first as it just sounds like your a bit lean, you might also want to take the fuel bowl off the carb and remove the main jet and clean it, it is possible that sitting all winter might have left some crap on the main jet which would also cause a lean condition, and yes change your oil.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a good point T, although we can fix yours by either switching back to a carb mounted lever or converting to the original lever and cable. Yours is somewhere in between.
Yes W&G, the stock choke cable setup will work on the mikuni carb, IIRC you need to take a few parts off the stock carb but they bolt right up to the mikuni and it works just like the stock setup.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ripper
haha sorry guys i guess that would eb some important stuff to include. i have the mikuni carb,performance cdi and have a new spark plug. i am afraid to say that i still have teh same oil that came in the quad :oops: (runs and ducks for covver) i guess ive been kind of lazy on that end of things. it seems that its kind of a back fire but not like a really loud gunshot (unlike my nearly pre historic riding lawn mower :twisted: ) but anyway it really makes me upset because just when im getting going good and fast it will do that and it kinda feels almost like soeone tapped the breaks because of the deceleration. i guess thats a best as i can describe it for you.
To me it sounds like what my beast was doing before i adjusted and rejetted the carb, before you go rejetting may i ask where the jet needle clip is at?, if there is room to move the clip down on the needle i would try that first as it just sounds like your a bit lean, you might also want to take the fuel bowl off the carb and remove the main jet and clean it, it is possible that sitting all winter might have left some crap on the main jet which would also cause a lean condition, and yes change your oil.

ive done so many carb adjustments i couldnt even count it seems after every ride im trying to get the carb just right. i havnt tried re jetting what are you suggestions for that and where i could get the jets for what cost (also which ones to get) also i dont think that it sitting all winter has done much because it did it before winter as well just not nearly as bad.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #20

Sorry if this has been covered I'm not an ATV 'expert and did not read the whoile thread but what about $hitcanning the carb and start over with a compatable Mikuni or Kehin?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Sorry if this has been covered I'm not an ATV 'expert and did not read the whoile thread but what about $hitcanning the carb and start over with a compatable Mikuni or Kehin?
seeing that i allrady have a mikuni carb and noone els seems to be having to much problem with thatcarb then i dont think this is what i should do.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I believe in post #4 he said he did upgrade to the mikuni carb.

On my beast i have done the carb, cdi, UNI filter and the performance exhaust w/ monster muffler, with that combo i had to increase the main jet 4 sizes up from the 100 it came with to a 110, also the pilot jet needed to be bigger, i went from the 20 that came with it up 2 sizes to a 25, my jet needle clip is on the 4th groove down and the a/f screw is at approx 1.5 turns out.
Now, if you haven't done the exhaust you may want to try a 105 main jet to help get some more fuel at 3/4 to full throttle which is where you seem to be having the trouble at. You can get jets at most motorcycle shops.

Courtesy of weldangrind from another post "For further clarification when searching for Mikuni PZ30 jets, look for vm28/486 (pilot jet) and N100.604 (main jet). These guys have it figured out: http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_tuning.htm#Pilot Jets "

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #23

Thanks Wayne. I don't remember writing that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks Wayne. I don't remember writing that.
I remember, cause that's where i got the numbers from when i got my jets, it did take me awhile to find it though as it was buried deep on another thread, as mentioned in the past there should be a sticky thread with all the beast info on replacement and upgrade parts.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #25

It's either rich, or lean.
Both will cause that problem.
You need to get the main jet right first, then you can start with other changes. 2 jet sizes won't do it. A 4-5 (minimum) jet size jump will tell you if you are going the right direction or not.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #26

back from a fairly crazy weekend. chainged the oil before a big trip on the quad and it ran so much better still a little bogging but deffinatly ran better. was havin a blast and then on my way back had some more difficulty. if you wanna know exactly how cheap the metal is on these things here is s perfect example. chain fell off and got all caught up in the front sprocket. as if that wasnt enough the housing for the front sprocket also broke jamming the chain all up in there. after a while of asking my buddies for a tool kit that may be able to take the sprocket housing off i found no luck and was down to plan b... man power! i ripped that sprocket housing off with my bare hands as if it were made of plastic. got back took a linck out of the chain fixed everything up and then realized i left the lights on and now the battery is almost entirely lifeless. not to mention i feel stupid. looks like more work awaits next weekend!