Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

bogging problem at high revs (beast)

so i still havn't fixed the problem i origionally joined this site to find a fix for. my beast runs great but when i pin it out it seems to rev high then bog out randomly it will be good for a bit and then bog out again. any ideas for a source or cheap fix? i have changed the spark and that helped for a couple of rides. should i try an oil change seeing as it has been sitting throughout the winter?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Yes on the oil change for sure.

Please remind us of the mods you've done. Are you using the stock carb, air filter and exhaust?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Do these machines have rev limiters built into the CDI's? Maybe he's bouncing it off the limiter? Does it feel like the kill switch is being hit? Does it spit or backfire?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

Man, I've wrung mine out and not sensed a rev limiter, although there likely is one.

I'm guessing a fueling problem.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #5

what is your mod list ??? what oil are u using ?? what spark plug are u running???
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #6

haha sorry guys i guess that would eb some important stuff to include. i have the mikuni carb,performance cdi and have a new spark plug. i am afraid to say that i still have teh same oil that came in the quad :oops: (runs and ducks for covver) i guess ive been kind of lazy on that end of things. it seems that its kind of a back fire but not like a really loud gunshot (unlike my nearly pre historic riding lawn mower :twisted: ) but anyway it really makes me upset because just when im getting going good and fast it will do that and it kinda feels almost like soeone tapped the breaks because of the deceleration. i guess thats a best as i can describe it for you.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #7

Um........The stuff that comes in the quad isn't real oil. Mine wasn't. It doesn't smell like oil anyway. The manual I thinks says to remove and put real oil in. :(
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
Um........The stuff that comes in the quad isn't real oil. Mine wasn't. It doesn't smell like oil anyway. The manual I thinks says to remove and put real oil in. :(
well seeing that mine didnt come with a manual i would ahve never guessed :?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ripper
haha sorry guys i guess that would eb some important stuff to include. i have the mikuni carb,performance cdi and have a new spark plug. i am afraid to say that i still have teh same oil that came in the quad :oops: (runs and ducks for covver) i guess ive been kind of lazy on that end of things. it seems that its kind of a back fire but not like a really loud gunshot (unlike my nearly pre historic riding lawn mower :twisted: ) but anyway it really makes me upset because just when im getting going good and fast it will do that and it kinda feels almost like soeone tapped the breaks because of the deceleration. i guess thats a best as i can describe it for you.
what spark plug are u running??? get some oil and fast, your killing your motor, i am running honda pro gn4 10w40 oil. are u still running the stock air filter??? if you are get a uni filter asap, also you will need to do your exhaust to asap. try to get a pitbike muffer "like mine " or 150cc monster muffler. after all that you should be good to go and beat the shit out of your beast.
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #10

Where do we get the Monster Muffler?
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #11

runnin on a rather low budget i will switch out the oil this weekend ill see what i can get for air filter and the muffler will ahve to wait i guess.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #12

Castrol four stroke motorcycle oil is cheap at WalMart.

I paid $20 for my Uni from the local bike shop.

Do you have a welder? You could modify your existing muffler until you find what you want.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #13

Not sure about the back firing or 'dying' issue at high rpm. When I read your initial post it made me think of something..

On my beast the choke cable 'vibrates' and pulls out some by the lever on the handlebar. There is a metal piece that slides into the lever housing that is supposed to hold the cable in the right position. Mine slides out as it revs and rumbles, causing me to have a bog condition under load until I shove it back in and it runs fine again.

If your problem is intermittent like you say, you may want to make sure your choke cable isn't doing something similar.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 AM   #14

That's a good point T, although we can fix yours by either switching back to a carb mounted lever or converting to the original lever and cable. Yours is somewhere in between.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a good point T, although we can fix yours by either switching back to a carb mounted lever or converting to the original lever and cable. Yours is somewhere in between.
I figure even trying to punch or scratch that metal piece to raise a grab point might help some too. It's 'machined' that way to press in and not move once there, but perhaps it needs a bit more help. Just no time these days to fart with this stuff.