Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #16

Ok well good and bad....

Bike has more power....enough that now in 5th gear when I roll the throttle on hard the clutch slips.

So question is, how difficult is it to replace the clutch? Would heavier duty springs possibly solve this problem without replacing the clutch? To install the upgraded clutch springs, do you have to remove the clutch?

The other thing, is the bike now pops and sputters at WOT. Too much fuel?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #17

New springs are pretty simple to install. You don't need to remove the whole clutch assembly.

Before you do that change the oil and try it again. What type of oil are you using?

I think that you may be still too lean if it is still popping and sputtering.

Allen

Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #18

Im using Valvoline 10W40 ATV Oil.

I'm running a 115 jet now...I do still get popping on decel, but I cant attribute it to a lean condition or the fact that the restrictor at the exit of the muffler has been removed.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboostcreep
I'm running a 115 jet now...I do still get popping on decel, but I cant attribute it to a lean condition or the fact that the restrictor at the exit of the muffler has been removed.
I raised the needle all the way, kept the stock jet/air filter and installed a White Brothers Mini R4 pipe (the stocker was rattling like a can of rocks).
I get an occasional pop on decel, it did the same thing with the stock pipe.
No pop or hesitation on acceleration.
And it sounds so much sweeter 8)

Check your plug to see if you are running lean. Search this forum on how to do a "plug chop" run.

Bill

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #20

Yes, do the springs on the clutch. My Roketa 200 was also begining to slip alot more, So I ordered the springs from a Harley shop. Easy to install and the bike no longer slips. Note, that Barnett will not sell the springs directly to you. Harley dealer charged me less than $20.00 including shipping on the order. The link in the forum still provides the up to date part number.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #21

Ok so I got a new 46 tooth rear sprocket to go with my 17 front. I'm wondering how much topend I'm going to gain over my 56 tooth rear sprocket before I shorten the chain to find out I should have just installed a 42 to start with. Some feedback on 17/46 combo in terms of cruising speed would be great.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #22

Your just about there now. Re-gearing for more top end and it might lose so much pull on the top end that your top speed will be easier to obtain in 4th than 5th. I went to a 42 on the rear and lost speed at the top.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #23

I think the 46 is a better match for the bike. The 42 is almost too much for it pull.

Allen

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #24

Ok, so I'm going to install the 46 on my new rear wheel when I put the new street tires on in the next few days. Does a 17/46 cruise 65 reasonably well? Also, how many links need to be removed? I think I'm going to buy a new stock chain.

EDIT:Ok so I was in the garage for about an hour and a half putting my new Barracuda street tires on my new set of rims so I can have a summer and a winter set. I had to deflate them a few times to get the bead to seat evenly, but I got it after a while. I need to find a source for the tapered head brake rotor bolts.....anyone got a source?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Your just about there now. Re-gearing for more top end and it might lose so much pull on the top end that your top speed will be easier to obtain in 4th than 5th. I went to a 42 on the rear and lost speed at the top.
With the 17/56 I rev the crap out of it to get to and maintain 55mph...i need to comfortably cruise 60+.

I understand the idea of gearing the bike out of its powerband....i hadn't heard 17/46 will do this....will it? I'm looking to flatland cruise with or near the flow of traffic on the freeway.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #26

I think the 17/46 is going to be closest to the best combination for hiway use. Your original sprocket is useless on the street. those are my opinions of course.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I think the 17/46 is going to be closest to the best combination for hiway use. Your original sprocket is useless on the street. those are my opinions of course.
I totally agree on the the 56 tooth being useless for the street. Its really a terrible setup for cruising. I'm hoping the new 46 tooth solves it. One thing to note, is my Barracuda tire is a decent amount taller than my stock enduro tire. That may be enough to get me to the effect of having like a 44 or 45 tooth sprocket.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #28

I could cruise at 65 with a 45T rear sprocket. I went to a 42 and my top end didn't change. The 45-46 seems to about the best with a 17 front in my opinion.

You still have some usuable first gear for off-road use yet.

The 42 is almost to tall for both street and off-road. Purely street it is fine.

Allen

Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #29

Ok, so here are 2 pictures, and a reason why I went to a 14 tooth front sprocket as opposed to a 17. It's quite obvious in the pictures that the barracuda rear tire is MUCH taller than stock, which will increase topend by itself.

The ratio with a 17/46 is 2.71 which in my opinion coupled with the taller tire will be geared to low.

The ratio I'm going to run, 14/46 is a 3.29 ratio. I think the taller rear tire in combination with the 3.29 ratio will work well. I really hope there isn't enough tire height to take the final drive as low as a 2.71.

Sound like a plan???

Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #30

Ok, so when I replaced the stock 102 jet last week with a 115 I noticed a decent amount more power.

Today after installing my street tire setup, 46 tooth rear sprocket, and 14 tooth front sprocket I took the bike out for a spin. The gearing is better, but does need to be taller, so I'm going to install a 15 tooth front sprocket and see where that gets me.

When I was on the freeway in 5th the bike would stutter, and stumble and not accelerate when I gave it more throttle. So I came home, took off the plastics and pulled the plug. Here's a pic...tell me what you think....keep in mind intake/exhaust, and a 115 jet with stumbling and lack of acceleration at WOT. I'm thinking lean.