Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
I test drove a couple different models of the Zero. I was impressed.

Power was awesome, and the range is improving. 180 miles on the 5 battery, enduro bike.

The bike can go fully submerged, but needs to dry out before running again. Normal water crossing is to the top of the batteries.

Problem with Harley is they will probably turn out an electric version of their 2 strokes of yesteryear.
What amazed me about the Zero was the itty bitty drive belt it has! It has to be made out of something totally cool to be able to put up with the acceleration.

Regarding HD, I don't know enough about the e-bike to say anything educated but I'd "imagine" that they're not at the heart of its design.....but they do have the support possible to hire the best engineers, if they so choose, or work in concert with people who do know what they're doing.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
What amazed me about the Zero was the itty bitty drive belt it has! It has to be made out of something totally cool to be able to put up with the acceleration.

Regarding HD, I don't know enough about the e-bike to say anything educated but I'd "imagine" that they're not at the heart of its design.....but they do have the support possible to hire the best engineers, if they so choose, or work in concert with people who do know what they're doing.
The drive belts I use in fitness industry are micro v-groove belts and are made with Kevlar. They do take a lot of torque and usually have weighted flywheels in the mechinsm somewhere . Some are flex belts which are designed to be installed with no adjustment for tightning, rather you just force them on by turning them onto the pulleys. I wonder if it's similar ?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

Zero has pioneered the bike and holds the critical patents. It will be tough for any other maker to compete. Harley might be able to license some technology, but the rep I spoke to seemed hell bent on making Zero the one and only, so not likely they would sell off technology. The battery and controller are proprietary and that is where the power comes from. The motor is no big deal, just an electric slot car motor, large scale.

Yes, that belt reminds me of a dryer drum belt. But considering it does not experience the shock that a clutch driven shifted bike, it could be made of a different material designed for the pure torque. There is a chain conversion for those who get really crazy off road.

I wasn't able to get the front wheel off the ground, no clutch to dump and I wasn't about to stand and jump on the pegs, lol.

I think BMW could get away with an electric big scooter, they have the following. The Harley contingent probably will not welcome it.
Be a Piggy!

Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
The Harley contingent probably will not welcome it.
No truer words spoken. We all see what happened to the V-Rod and it's a really nice bike. You should have heard the rash I took switching to a Vic! LOL!....then I'd pass them.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350