Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Bashan Storm 250 upgrades

I recently finished building my Bashan and want to begin exploring upgrades. For starters I want to remove the catalytic converter by replacing the muffler pipe with this: http://parts.powersportsbest.com/ind...-08-250cc.html

Also, I have the standard PZ30 carb and certainly wouldn't mind slotting the screws to remove the bowl and changing the jets as needed but I can't seem to find much info on jets for the PZ30. Conversely there seems to be a significant amount of info. on the Mikuni carb clones. Would I be better off just purchasing a Mikuni VM 26 and a 115/30 jet configuration as I'm at approx. 900 ft. elevation? Want to make sure I'm correct, the main jet is Main Jet N100.604/115, not sure of the pilot jet part number?

I would like to install a new filter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foam-Air-Fil...-/331342807829

I don't want to make these mods all at the same time but in the same respect if I remove the catalytic converter shouldn't I re-jet the carb at the same time?

Lastly, any recommendations on how to disable/remove the emissions equipment on the Bashan Storm?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

I was looking at that pipe.. Let me know how it goes.
I'm not certain but the only mod you can do with these carbs is to unbolt it and replace with Micky look alike But, I have not done anything about it as it works ok for what I want. Again though, let me know, or keep us posted how things go.

I read on this forum (somewhere) about rejetting and disabling the emmissions contraption, basically it was unscrew it from the head and make a blanking plate to put over the hole.

Sorry that's a bit sketchy, it is all here somewhere.. you will just have to dig a bit. Let us know your results.

1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossbag View Post
I read on this forum (somewhere) about rejetting and disabling the emmissions contraption, basically it was unscrew it from the head and make a blanking plate to put over the hole.
Sorry that's a bit sketchy, it is all here somewhere.. you will just have to dig a bit. Let us know your results.
Here in CA, I leave it all in place but block off between the head tube and the valve, (there's usually a short piece of rubber hose) and then put a 'bb' in the vacuum line that actuates the valve. Looks like it's there and working but it's not. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't rob any performance, it just shoots fresh O2 into the exhaust port so it hits the cat (picture blow dryer on a briquette) so it burns off the excess HC and CO under heavy throttle hand. It's the cat restricting the exhaust flow that's the biggest performance hampering factor, not necessarily the little valve.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #4

You're wise to rejet when you delete the cat and the emissions stuff.

This is my favourite filter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLACK-42mm-45...VW7TXA&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

Also, I'm super curious as to how that head pipe fits and works out. I have a TT 250 coming with the cat/headpipe situation. It was so much easier when they hid it in the muffler, back in the day!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Also, I'm super curious as to how that head pipe fits and works out. I have a TT 250 coming with the cat/headpipe situation. It was so much easier when they hid it in the muffler, back in the day!
Although I'm not a fan of making configuration changes concurrently due to difficulty troubleshooting I'll most likely change the pipe, carb, filter & rejet, along with disabling emission equipment all at one time.

Once I start I'll post some pics and talk about the results.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

i will be getting that pipe in 2 weeks, was going to get it today, but wife said we had to get a pool ... she said i could still get the pipe too, but i want to get a slip on when i get that ... maybe a fmf tc2, but would really rather get a 4 stroke pipe but they are way more cost

Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOW View Post
i will be getting that pipe in 2 weeks, was going to get it today, but wife said we had to get a pool ... she said i could still get the pipe too, but i want to get a slip on when i get that ... maybe a fmf tc2, but would really rather get a 4 stroke pipe but they are way more cost
I too am considering a slip on option in the future. Does the factory muffler cause too much back pressure or are you more concerned about the sound of the bike?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You're wise to rejet when you delete the cat and the emissions stuff.

This is my favourite filter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BLACK-42mm-45...VW7TXA&vxp=mtr
I'm a little hesitant about using this filter as it decreases the overall height of the intake in regards to the factory intake. There will be occasions where I'll cross a creek here and there; however, the benefit of having a high flow filter will most likely outweigh the negatives.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearthvader View Post
I too am considering a slip on option in the future. Does the factory muffler cause too much back pressure or are you more concerned about the sound of the bike?
Weight reduction and Rust issues is why I'm ditching the stock exhaust on my Bashan, any HP/performance gains are just a bonus IMO

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Weight reduction and Rust issues is why I'm ditching the stock exhaust on my Bashan, any HP/performance gains are just a bonus IMO

I just ordered the replacement exhaust from Powersports Best - $63.00 including shipping. If it shaves a pound or two and improves performance then I'll be a happy camper.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
The stock mufflers weigh a ton, have tiny restrictive outlets compared to the inlet, and usually aren't built very "aerodynamic" inside. I have FMF TC2's on every CB I have. Stock quiet? No....but they breathe FAR better than the stock bazooka, plus they are USFS approved.

After you change the air filter, carb, jetting, check valve adjustment and NGK spark plug,....the FMF TC2 do their job on the outlet to carry the flow. It noticeably opened up the mid-range and top end on Q, and I had already ditched the cat out of the stock muffler. The TC2 still made a noticable difference.

Here's an link to a thread I did by adding a dB Dawg to the one I have on Q. It helped "unsharpen" the sound.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=15893&page=2

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
The stock mufflers weigh a ton, have tiny restrictive outlets compared to the inlet, and usually aren't built very "aerodynamic" inside. I have FMF TC2's on every CB I have. Stock quiet? No....but they breathe FAR better than the stock bazooka, plus they are USFS approved.

After you change the air filter, carb, jetting, check valve adjustment and NGK spark plug,....the FMF TC2 do their job on the outlet to carry the flow. It noticeably opened up the mid-range and top end on Q, and I had already ditched the cat out of the stock muffler. The TC2 still made a noticable difference.

Here's an link to a thread I did by adding a dB Dawg to the one I have on Q. It helped "unsharpen" the sound.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=15893&page=2
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the FMT TC2 will fit the Bashan without much modification. I don't mind the bike being louder, was amazed how quiet it was when I first started it.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the FMT TC2 will fit the Bashan without much modification. I don't mind the bike being louder, was amazed how quiet it was when I first started it.
The FMF TC2 comes with a nice, bent, stainless adapter pipe that can be twisted in many directions. The only bike I had trouble fitting it on was my X-Moto but it's an early CB and th pipe was ba$tardized when I got it. Took some pipe bending.

I know this is the Dual Sport Forum but one even fit right on my Rhino without a problem so with a little ingenuity, it can fit most anything. You just may need to have a little bracketing laying around. I added a small piece of the adapter pipe I cut off to the end of the TC 2 on this one to help the noise. Somewhere here is a thread I did of dimpling that piece of pipe to make it "baffley".

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
The FMF TC2 comes with a nice, bent, stainless adapter pipe that can be twisted in many directions. The only bike I had trouble fitting it on was my X-Moto but it's an early CB and th pipe was ba$tardized when I got it. Took some pipe bending.

I know this is the Dual Sport Forum but one even fit right on my Rhino without a problem so with a little ingenuity, it can fit most anything. You just may need to have a little bracketing laying around. I added a small piece of the adapter pipe I cut off to the end of the TC 2 on this one to help the noise. Somewhere here is a thread I did of dimpling that piece of pipe to make it "baffley".
Thanks for the info, seems like it shouldn't be a problem fitting this pipe to the Bashan.