Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #1

My "new" Training Wheels - Gio X31 250cc

Just got dropped off in me driveway moments ago.

Barely a year old, runs great and has two fog lights to get me home if I get caught out after dark.

So! Now, this is my first two-wheeled motor vehicle so I'm not really familiar with them other than some 125cc Street Scooter time and being a madman on a Quad.

What sort of simple mods should I look at? I'm fairly confident doing basic work on the ol' Ford 302 so as long as it's not pulling apart the engine, I am confident enough to do it.

The area I live in is all sand so if you have any tips for riding in that, I'm all ears too!

Pretty stoked to go for an inagural rip around my block tomorrow!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Nice looking machine! 8)

The stock filter is probably not the most efficient, so you could choose to replace it with a Uni product. You could install a Uni pod filter right onto the carb, or you can buy bulk Uni filter material and install it where the existing element is. Either way, be sure to oil it properly, especially if you're riding in sand. I use Maxima Fab 1, which should be available at your local bike shop.

Swap out the plug for a genuine NGK from Canadian Tire; yours could be a fake, and possibly not reliable. Once you gap and install a new plug, keep an eye on it to determine air / fuel ratio. We can try to guide you towards jet optimization after that as necessary.

The exhaust is nearly wide open on your bike, so I'd leave that alone.

Use either four stroke motorcycle oil or non-energy conserving oil (like Shell Rotella T). In colder weather you can run 10W40, 20W50 in hot weather and 15W40 as a good all around choice. The cleanable oil filter is located just ahead of the gearshift, and it's behind a large nut (24mm IIRC). Note the orientation of the spring and filter, and be sure to not tighten the nut too firmly upon installation; they crack easily.

That'll get you started. Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Thanks!

I'll have to do some investigating around town here as there's not much of anything. Will probably have to have a shopping spree next time I'm in St. John's. :twisted:

Took it for a bit of a rip today. Being as I'm a 100% n00b to bikes... I'm kind of sore at the moment. lol MECHANICALLY however, it runs quite nicely once it's warmed up. The rest is just user error at this point in the game.

The 12 y/o girl blazing past on a 110 without a helmet stopping to see if i was okay was very nice though.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

Replace the fuel line (and filter) - if what's there isn't already rotten, it will be soon. Check the nuts on the intake (at the head and carb) and make sure they are tight. Original "gold" chain on these is CRAP - replace. Tires are garbage as well - put on some name-brand ones (think I used Dunlop's) when yours are worn out. AND WHEN YOU DO THAT - replace the bearings, front and rear, with some quality i.e. non-Chinese ones.

Can't think of anything else I had problems with, with mine. Was going to replace carb with a Chikuni one, and performance CDI, but it ran so well I left them alone. Oh yeah - I replaced the spark plug cable and boot. AND the fake NGK plug it shipped with.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #5

Replace the Chinatubes. I'd not wait for the tire change but do it before they go flat.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Replace the Chinatubes. I'd not wait for the tire change but do it before they go flat.
Actually, run some "Slime" in them, rather than go through the trouble of changing tube(s) before the tires need replacing. At least that is my opinion.... when a local dealer replaced my tires, the f'd up the tubes, front and rear were flat next day. So I did the "Slime" thing, and had no problems up until I sold the bike. I do the Slime thing on all my ATV's now, whether they need it or not.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #7

I have the same bike. X31 and an X35. Huge difference in quality in the X35.

For those saying change the PLUG, is it the same number plug from NGK?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

I use an NGK D8EA or DR8EA, whichever is in stock.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer