Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Rear disc keeps locking up!!

Hi Guys and Gals, I read a few threads in the search and followed the suggestions that were there IE: Changed brake fluid to Dot 4, completely bled the system and tried it a couple of times and everything was fine but I just got home and it stuck again!! It seems to only happen when I give it a hard shot on the brake or use it too much.

The disc is a little black now and does not seem warped at all so it's tracking true, by it being Blued will this affect it or not? Any suggestions or help would be great guys!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
should not be happening. check the brake pedal stop bolt and the linkage. there has to be play in the linkage if there is no play check pedel stop ajust bolt. other thing is over filling brake resavor or pluged vent in the filler cap. the last thing would be piston stucking in calaper.if you do a lot of durt riding it could be the later.
hope any of this helps

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #3

Bike is new 150 miles on it so I don't think there is a dirt issue (have not been out on the trails yet). I see that there are 2 bolt on the rear brake lever one is the stop bolt and it's good, the res. vent is not plugged and the res. is halfway between the min/max line , there is also the back bolt that contacts the hydraulic plunger for the caliper activation. Do you think that might need adjusting also and if so what sort of play is suppose to be in there if there should be any at all which is what I think it should be. Thanks for the info and I am still searching... What about the disc being a bit blue?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #4

Your problem is as common as Fleas on a Dawg, adjust the pedal stop until the adjusting bolt coming out of the Master Cylinder and connected to the rear of the pedal is slightly loose with no tension on it.

If the pedal stop wont adjust far enough pull the nut off and grind it down far enough for the pedal to come up a little more.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #5

That's the d___ problem!! I will remove the bolt and make sure it's got play since I can't back it off any more and it still gives pressure! What about the disc?? Is there any thing I can do or is it still good or not?? I just checked it and it's more of a greyish/blackish colour and still runs true...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #6

Dont worry about the disc, take some 180 grit or so sandpaper and knock the glaze off, make it rough so the pads will reseat. It will be fine.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
that right on the money.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #8

All done will give the test tomorrow, hope all goes well! Thanks guys...

Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #9

Ridge,
my rear brake is real touchy as well and it only takes a slight bit of pressure to have it skid(lock the brakes) in the dirt. On the road it takes a little more pressure in the wet to lock it up. I use 90% front braking on both dirt&road because of this. I've tried adjusting the linkage and all it did was ease my mind as I can depress the pedal a little further till it locks up but I don't feel any diference on the braking. My old CR 125 used to do the same. Some bike just have a real sensitive rear brake and it'll take some getting used to. On downhill switchbacks it can help to skid the rear a bit to kick it around the sharp corner or you can use alot of front brake and "hop the back around" Reminds me of downhill skiing in deep powder "Jump turning.."
anyways I'm off topic now.
Also I'm going riding today and will take pics..

Old 05-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #10

I think the pedal may be a little high compared to the footpeg too, making it a little harder to judge the applied pressure...

But that is the skidding problem, the problem you had sounds like what was mentioned with the adjustment

Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #11

She's all good now!!! Drove around town today without any problems and so far so good! The bike has been pretty good with that being the biggest problem to date, very little minor things that got taken care of that were overlooked during the build up...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Yay! Glad it worked for you.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #13

Mine locked up and stuck today and I had to remove one of the caliper bolts and swing the caliper back against the swingarm to get to work. I have already adjusted the stop bolt all the way in and it was working fine until today.

I plan to bleed it and take the stop bolt out to see if that helps.

Thanks for the info.

Allen

Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #14

This seems to be a reocurring problem on ours, not so much anymore but it did just happen to me last weekend.

We were going to the autoparts store and I noticed rear brake fade just as I pulled in and knew what was up.

Got my part came out and pulled the tools out and thought I'd just run the adjusting bolt in a touch but it was already in all the way so I'm stuck.

Then I had an idea, just put some pressure on the brake lever and carefully open the bleeder.
A quick open and close let out a few drops of fluid and I was good to go.The caliper backed off the rotor and it was fine.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #15

I will have to try that tommorrow before I go to work to see if I can get it free. I am wondering if there is air in mine since I haven't bled the system. I am also wondering if the "NOS" bottle has something to do with it.

Allen