Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Semi-voilent stall out, hard stop, now no juice?

I had this morning planned for a long ride out in the country to get to know my Zong a little better, but right at the end of my road onto the main drag some asshat in a car cut me off so bad that I jumped into first gear and hit the brake so hard the front tire squealed and I stalled it out really hard.....

I went to start it back up and roll on, but no go. No sign of electric anything to the starter button.

I pushed it off onto the sidewalk, and checked some things out; I kicked it right over and it started up fine, but the front brake is NOT lighting the light up, (the back break lights the light,) blinkers were working but very dim, headlight dim, no horn, no neutural light, and all of this stuff only works when the engine is running, sitting off with the key switch on it has no power to anything,

The cut off switch still does its job,

So, long story short, after a violent stop I have no power from the battery to anything sitting cold. Kick start it and the lights work a little bit, but all very dim, and my front brake does not light the brake light, starter button might as well not be there but the cut off works fine.

What the hell happened?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

check the fuse and battery connections, the fuse should be in a plastic case near the positive battery lead

Old 06-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Alaskan
check the fuse and battery connections, the fuse should be in a plastic case near the positive battery lead
Yes sir, I actually checked that fuse by the battery right after it happened, fuse is good. I will go open the battery box and check those. I just wired in a charger lead yesterday so I know the connections are good and tight.

I am going out now to open up the battery box and take a look at everthing else I can see easily,

Any other ideas?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

Try a new battery.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Many of us have seen batterys fall out of Hondoids...

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #6

make sure the charger lead hasn't shorted with anything also, the frame is like a negative terminal as you probably already know

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

The battery is good, my charger checks it and when I plugged it in to see it read as being all good. The battery connections are good, and nothing is damaged or out of place, the charging lead I wired in had nothing to do with this, I ran it for several days after that, it has a cover that snaps over and into the contact posts and I have it tied up well away from the frame,,,,,

Maybe if I re-explain somebody will have a better idea of where to look at this problem; I was running in third gear and had it revved up almost wound out about to shift up when I dumped it into first, grabbed the brake and then let the clutch go on accident, so it went from high third to first, I braked, let go of the clutch and it squealed pretty hard and then came to a hard dead stop.

Is there some electrical thing to look at? I can do just about anything with a car or truck, but I've only owned this bike a week and never turned a bolt on a bike before changing the oil the other day.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #8

I was thinking that the front brake switch failed, resulting in its inability to light the brake light, but you have too many other symptoms for that. That said, it is possible that you have two separate problems that could have you chasing your tail. For reference, there aren't many electrical components to be concerned with; you have a stator, a CDI, a regulator, a solenoid and a coil. Beyond that, it's all switches and wire.

Attention dual sport riders: please chime in here. Does your headlight come on with the key only? The horn? The turn signals? The neutral light? Ideally we'd hear from Zong owners, but these circuits are likely common to all China bikes.

Bennnn, have you tried using the electric start while applying the rear brake?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #9

You are saying that you can kick start but not start using the e start, right?

If so, try jump starting the bike from your car battery. If it jump starts then you have a bad battery.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #10

Weldandgrind, that is interesting, I hadnt tried to start it with the back brake depressed. But this afternoon I did just for S & G and all I got was a clicking noise that if it was a car I would have said was a soelniod,

What sucks for me is that I can't get out to work on it at all untill tuesday, I'm sure it's something I can straighten out once I get to work on it, but the life, kids, wife, college, ect, have me tied up so bad that even though it's going to be 90something tomorrow I have to drive the dang car everywhere.

I will say this, I think the posters above talking about the battery may have something. I have this snazzy charger I bought that is supposed to "sense" when the battery is charged, AND flash a special signal if the battery needs to be replaced...........

As I posted above, I plugged it in yesterday and it said the battery was good, just low. Well, I left it on the dang charger all night, and this morning it still just said it was charging, not flashing that the battery was bad.. But, uhhhhh,, it should only take about 3-4 hours to get it fully charged right?

I think maybe the battery has been physically damaged by this little incident, is that what you guys mean?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
You are saying that you can kick start but not start using the e start, right?

If so, try jump starting the bike from your car battery. If it jump starts then you have a bad battery.
I agree. It sounds to me like you have a bad battery.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...Attention dual sport riders: please chime in here. Does your headlight come on with the key only? The horn? The turn signals? The neutral light? Ideally we'd hear from Zong owners, but these circuits are likely common to all China bikes...
All the lights for the Zongshen 200GY-2 operate only when the ignition switch is turned on. I suspect a loose connection is causing the problem with the brake light switch for the front brake. I agree with Barnone; I think you have a bad battery, Ben.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennnn
...I have this snazzy charger I bought that is supposed to "sense" when the battery is charged, AND flash a special signal if the battery needs to be replaced...........

As I posted above, I plugged it in yesterday and it said the battery was good, just low. Well, I left it on the dang charger all night, and this morning it still just said it was charging, not flashing that the battery was bad.. But, uhhhhh,, it should only take about 3-4 hours to get it fully charged right?...
I don't trust the diagnostics on your snazzy, new, battery charger, Ben. Indeed, a good battery would be fully charged after an overnight charging session.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennnn
...I think maybe the battery has been physically damaged by this little incident, is that what you guys mean?
I don't think the battery was damaged by your sudden stop. The stock, Yuasa battery in the Zong is a good battery, but it will eventually wear out. I suggest you do as Barnone suggested, and jump start your bike from your car battery, with the car's engine not running. If the bike starts easily, and all your lights work properly, you will know for certain you have a bad battery. As I stated earlier, I suspect you have a loose connection on the brake light switch for your front brake.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #14

It's possible to have a bad battery and it meter out the correct voltage but when it's put under load it just craps out. That's exactly what happened with me.

If the Zong is anything like the newer QLinks, the battery also acts as a capacitor from my research. So it sounds like a bad battery. My bike had pretty much the same symptoms and I tore it all apart checking all of the electrical only to find out it was the battery. It had me fooled because it kept metering the right voltage.

Also, just my opinion, make sure when you're charging your battery you aren't charging it with a high amperage output. Use the lowest setting your battery charger has, ideally under 2 amps. Really 1/2 an amp or an amp would be better.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #15

It sounds like you really do have two problems then. The battery and the front brake switch conspired to drive you nuts.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer