Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #1

XF200 carb boots?

My brother's XF has a rough idle. We adjusted the valves last night and after some playing discovered that he has a leaky carb boot between the air filter and the carb. I didn't take it all apart to see where it is leaking, or if it is a big crack, but I did try to re-seal the band clamp on the carb. Is it possible to get new boots or should we just take it apart and glob it up with RTV?

I tried looking on the Qlink store site, but they don't have parts breakdown, and I didn't see any carb boots.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

I'd certainly try black RTV. Just get the repair area as clean as possible, and the RTV should stick just fine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

That will work but is not pretty if that matters. Another member had a similar problem but I don't remember who. I recall the Suzuki unit will NOT fit and one shouyld be ordered from Q. You will have to call as it's not on the website. IIRC. :wink:

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

That was me, Doc. But it was the intake between the carb and the head; a lot more critical. I got it from Qlink shipped for $45. I bought another type from JCWhitney for $15 that I can convert if I need another one.

Take the failed intake to an auto supply and see if you can get a gas filler neck hose of the same inside diameter. Others are using these for intake carb boots and are working well. All you are looking for is a path for the clean air to get to the carb. It's one of the supports for the carb so the stronger the better. Radiator hose might work well also.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #5

A lot of good ideas here...but what Im curious about is unless it's sucked in some dirt or something, why would a cracked boot between the air box and carb cause a rough idle? It's not a sealed vacuum area.
I suspect this may not be the end of the search.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

Could it be that it's just way too lean because of the crack? I'd expect that the carb is jetted to suit a restrictive airbox, and then a sudden inrush of air would alter the mixture.

Only guessing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Could it be that it's just way too lean because of the crack? I'd expect that the carb is jetted to suit a restrictive airbox, and then a sudden inrush of air would alter the mixture.

Only guessing.
That's my guess too, but if I spray carb cleaner around the boot, the idle picks up. If I press with my hands around the boot, the idle picks up and smooths out. I think it is adjusted for drawing through the air filter, and if it gets unrestricted air coming in, it leans out the mixture.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #8

Another thought I had is to use self-vulcanizing rubber tape. If you can take the boot off and wrap around it, the rubber tape should do a nice job of sealing the crack.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Quote:

Only guessing.
That's my guess too, but if I spray carb cleaner around the boot, the idle picks up. If I press with my hands around the boot, the idle picks up and smooths out. I think it is adjusted for drawing through the air filter, and if it gets unrestricted air coming in, it leans out the mixture.
I agree with both of you. Constant velocity (CV) carburetors are sensitive to changes in the airbox. If the boot from the air box is cracked, the air box is altered, or one installs a pod air filter, it is very likely the operation of a CV carburetor will be affected.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Another thought I had is to use self-vulcanizing rubber tape. If you can take the boot off and wrap around it, the rubber tape should do a nice job of sealing the crack.
That wouldn't look bad either. I've seen that type of tape for sale at the local hardware store.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't think I've seen that before, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #12

It's unique, because it doesn't stick to anything but itself.