Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

Another XF battery craps out...

I was leaving work yesterday, all geared up, turn the key on my XF200 and... nothing. I kick started it, fired right up, but as mentioned by several others on here, it won't rev up. Crap. It's 98 degrees, by the way. So I take off all my gear and call my wife to tell her I'm going to be a bit late. :?

I knew I had another battery somewhere around at work, but I couldn't find it. I put a charger on the XF for a little while during my search. I found a small Radio Shack 12V battery that might work. I go back to the bike and take off the charger and kick it again, same thing. It idles but won't rev. So I tried hooking up the charger while it was running, and it would rev up just fine. Then I removed the charger while revving, and discovered that if it stayed above 2500 RPM, it would continue to run and rev, but if it dropped below it would sputter and die.

I got it going, turned the idle screw in so it idled just above 2500 RPM, and off I went on my 45 minute commute home. I had to feather the clutch when starting to keep the revs from dropping, but it got me home. I had the Radio Shack battery in my backpack just in case, but I really didn't want to be doing any roadside repairs in 98 degree weather, so I was really glad when I pulled into my driveway.

And now the big question, do I put out $100+ for a Shorai super duper lightweight battery, or $50 for a regular replacement?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #2

The battery in my XF200 crapped out a couple days ago as well. Ended up getting a Everstart ES9BS from Walmart. It's a little big and won't fit with the rubber sleeve that came on the original battery, but it fits and does the job. Doesn't really feel any heavier than the original battery to me, just a little bigger.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbloodsflow
The battery in my XF200 crapped out a couple days ago as well. Ended up getting a Everstart ES9BS from Walmart. It's a little big and won't fit with the rubber sleeve that came on the original battery, but it fits and does the job. Doesn't really feel any heavier than the original battery to me, just a little bigger.
Same for me with my XF200 and ES9BS from Walmart. I've had good luck with the Walmart batteries in my bikes and trucks

98 degrees in PA, that sucks.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #4

I like the heat... 8)

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the Shorai. I can get the LFX07 for $99, and it weighs 1 lb, and all the reviews are very positive as to the performance. I'm not too concerned about weight difference, but it seems like a good overall product.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

I'd be inclined towards the Shorai, but a little troubleshooting might be a good idea as well. With the key off, remove the negative battery cable and connect it to a multimeter set to DCV. Touch the other multimeter probe to the negative post on the battery and see if there's a reading. If so, you have something that is draining your battery at rest.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'd be inclined towards the Shorai, but a little troubleshooting might be a good idea as well. With the key off, remove the negative battery cable and connect it to a multimeter set to DCV. Touch the other multimeter probe to the negative post on the battery and see if there's a reading. If so, you have something that is draining your battery at rest.
A very good idea, I'll check it out sometime soon. In the meantime, I'm 'stuck' riding my SV... :wink:

Amazing how powerful and fast the 650 feels after spending several days on the XF!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
I like the heat... 8)

The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the Shorai. I can get the LFX07 for $99, and it weighs 1 lb, and all the reviews are very positive as to the performance. I'm not too concerned about weight difference, but it seems like a good overall product.
I have now ridden 7,700 miles with my Shorai battery in my Honda XR650L. The Shorai battery is great. However, if you aren't concerned with the weight difference, a conventional AGM battery is also a good choice. Do you have a Batteries Plus store nearby? I believe Batteries Plus offers a better warranty than WalMart.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

No Batteries Plus, but I have Pep Boys, WalMart, Autozone, National Auto, NTB, Advanced Auto all within a couple miles.

I still think I'm leaning toward the Shorai. I was thinking of other weight reduction mods, and there aren't too many other than remove a few little bits and pieces. I've already pulled off the passenger pegs and replaced the handle bars. The exhaust would be the next place to go, but I don't feel like spending the cash on that and I like the relatively quiet exhaust.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
I like the heat... 8)

I have now ridden 7,700 miles with my Shorai battery in my Honda XR650L. The Shorai battery is great. However, if you aren't concerned with the weight difference, a conventional AGM battery is also a good choice. Do you have a Batteries Plus store nearby? I believe Batteries Plus offers a better warranty than WalMart.

Spud
I tried Batteries Plus for a battery to fit my XF200 but no luck.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #10

Walmart batteries have served me well. Did get a bad one off the shelf, but I finally go them to understand that even if the machine says its good that a battery could be bad. They exhanged it and no problems since.

Most of the walmart batteries are made by johnson controls who also make batteries for everyone else.

Like Spuds says. If you want to save weight get the shorai.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
...Like Spuds says. If you want to save weight get the shorai.
Indeed, if you want to save weight, by all means get the Shorai battery. When it arrives, you will be convinced they sent you an empty box; it's that light!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Most of the walmart batteries are made by johnson controls who also make batteries for everyone else.
I was told by a battery distributor that Johnson Controls is number two in the world for battery quality (number one is Delco). He said that Interstate is a distant third, followed by everyone else.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #13

I figured what the heck and went for the fancy Shorai battery. Apparently, Shorai wasn't ready for the demand and are out of stock on most everything, but I found a supplier with a LFX09 in stock. I was looking for the LFX07, which is the smallest they make, but the LFX09 is the same physical size and maybe a few ounces heavier. I paid $110 shipped, which is a bit steep, but I can always swap it into my SV for track days...

I'll take some photos when it arrives.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
I figured what the heck and went for the fancy Shorai battery. Apparently, Shorai wasn't ready for the demand and are out of stock on most everything, but I found a supplier with a LFX09 in stock. I was looking for the LFX07, which is the smallest they make, but the LFX09 is the same physical size and maybe a few ounces heavier. I paid $110 shipped, which is a bit steep, but I can always swap it into my SV for track days...

I'll take some photos when it arrives.
You're going to love the Shorai battery, DM. When it arrives, you will think they sent you an empty box; it's that lightweight. I purchased an LFX09A2 battery, and relocated the Shorai battery to the top of the air box on my Honda XR650L.

By substituting the lighter Shorai battery, and eliminating the stock battery box, I dropped 9 pounds from my Honda XR650L. After 7,000 miles of rough, off road riding, the Shorai battery is still performing superbly!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #15

I got the battery and installed it last night. The battery feels like a toy. Very small, very light.

I had to put a lot of foam around it to make it fit in the same space, but it fits and works. The Shorai has the same cranking amps but weighs in at 1.1 lbs.

I'd like to say that the bike feels so much lighter, more nimble, more powerful, shoots laser beams, turns all the traffic lights to green, and attracts beautiful women now... but in reality I don't feel any difference. Other than the bike now starts and runs. Which is all I was hoping for.