Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #1

Baja DR125 Rear Shock

My sons rear shock is blown and I would like to replace it with a better one. I can get an original replacement from my local Canadian Tire but I was wondering what else will fit this bike..any suggestions :?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #2

Sorry just realized this should have probably been posted in the Pit/Pocket Bikes Forum :oops:

Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #3

I moved it for you. :wink:

Have you checked eBay? What is the length of the stock shock?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #4

i recently did the same. best to bring the shock with you to a local shop & try to match something up. for the most part I found most shocks got the same mounting hold (12mm) but they vary in length (not a big deal). but the biggest difference I found is the spring rate. 2 similar shocks can have very different springs.
simon

Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #5

Sorry for the delay...been out of town for a few days.

Finally, got the shock off. Had to remove the side plastic, seat, air box before I could get the shock out. Seems like every nut is different :x

Not sure how you "measure" a shock but the top hole appears to be 9mm in dia (13mm bolt with a 14mm nut) and the bottom hole is 7mm in dia (12mm bolt and nut). The shock length is 253mm, center to center on the mounting holes. Exposed chrome rod length was 30mm. Not sure if that would be described as the travel?

There were no identifying markings on the shock nor was there any adjustment. Not sure if blown is the right assessment (no sign of leaking) but seized might be a better way of explaining it. The suspension is very hard and I thought the shock was bottomed out but I later noticed it does not compress nor expand so I don't know if the 253mm is the correct length.

Like I said I can get a like for like replacement from my local Canadian Tire (where I bought the bike), I don't want it to wear out in just one season. Just wondering if there is an equivalent for it so I can upgrade. However, I am not interested in putting a $500 shock on a $1200 bike.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Sounds like a 10" shock. I'm guessing that the mounting holes are actually 10mm and 8mm, although I'm surprised that they're dissimilar.

Don't worry about travel as much as eye to eye length and hole diameter, which you've already measured. This one looks good: Dirt Bike Shock , and you can drill out one of your mounting holes to accept a 10mm bolt.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #7

Thanks Weldangrind,

I agree the shock looks good. A Baja shock is $112. 8O

I forgot to mention the top shock mount is similar to the picture (we'll call it the male end) but the bottom is the opposite configuration (female end?). I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

The two ends definitely have different bolt hole sizes. I could be out a millimeter. The batter on my calipers is dead so I am eyeballing the scale.

As suggested by Simon....I'll also take it to town and see what the local shops have. If nothing comes up I will order the Baja so we can get riding again I will let you know if I find a name brand that works.

Cheers

Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #8

These look right, but the shipping will kill you: Dirt Bike Shock

Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #9

Maybe an xr80 shock will work.

I just happen to have a few.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

Will try to measure one out today.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

xr80 is 10.5 inches long. Looks like a 10mm on the male end and an 8mm on the female end. Approximately 1 1/8 on wide on each end.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

That looks like a winner. Kato, it looks like those shocks are somewhat adjustable; is that right?

BTW, I think it would be easy to dismantle that shock for cleaning and painting.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #12

I don't know about adjustable. xr80 shocks are easy to come by and much cheaper than $115.

OKrider. I can ship to Canada. Pretty sure I have more of these too.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #13

Coming up empty on this end :(

Tried a couple of bike shops but they won't help. Wouldn't even look at it when they found out it was for a chinese bike. :x

Katoranger your shock looks like it would work. From what year XR80 is the shock from?

I have a pic but I don't know how to upload it to the forum. I verified the top bolt hole is 10mm and bottom is 8mm (got my calipers working). The width of the top male end is 30mm (approx 1-3/16in) and the width of the bottom female end is 28mm (approx 1-1/8in). I will contact you on via ebay.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

I have more than one. We don't have to go through ebay. I will use your measurements and compare to what I have and get back to you with a chinarider price. :wink: Also want to send you the best looking one.

I don't know what year the shock is exactly. Probably late eighties to early nineties.

I have blue and red spring if you have a color preference.

One thing to note. These are designed to work with a linkage setup and not direct to the swingarm. Spring rate may be different.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #15

If the Baja and Honda springs are the same size, it might be wise to swap the Baja spring onto the Honda shock. It depends upon which spring is firmer.