Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Re-Wiring, I must be nuts!

The rest of my progress is slow going and this new thread is evidence of why, I get distracted VERY easily. At least I'm still working on my bike though.

In the process of installing my Vapor Tach, Speedo etc, it became very apparent that there would be several large unnecessary connectors left over. I decided to take the time to dig into the wiring to seperate what I needed and didn't need. What I uncovered was a jungle of a perfectionists worst nightmare. Wires going from the front to back just to go to the front again, hideous tape jobs connecting ground and power junctions. Here are some pictures to show some of the saga.

Ok, here is "stock" wiring. Not bad, it's neat and tidy.

But open it up and you've got this sort of thing. All power for EVERYTHING "key on" runs through this. Doesn't matter if it's something next to the battery, the wires run all the way up to this point.

An example of unused wiring and connections after hooking up the new tach sensor. Only one wire is necessary now. I've since fixed how silly this looks.

Every green wire is simply a ground that the factory felt needed a focal point. They've never heard of grounding to the frame? I have re-grounded basically EVERYTHING to it's mounting bolt.

I know this doesn't look very good but it will be eventually, I'd say this is the half way point. The fuel tank was really crushing the wiring as it was before and I hope this will help avoid that. Oh, if you look closely you can see a bit of the shelf in the background that is a graveyard for things removed

This is the current pile of wires that have been removed from the equation.

I don't know if all this will make life better for me and my bike in the end, but I'm learning a CRAP load of stuff about the electrical system. The original motivation was that the bulky connectors made it hard to mount the new headlight and then things sort of snowballed from there. If anyone has questions about 2007 Lifan GY-5 200 wiring, I think I can answer alot of them now.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

The stock wiring is nonsense on these things. I went quite a ways further than you with my quads. Those crimps you show five or six wires all tapped to the same power supply or ground...I eliminated those entirely. All my grounds now run straight to the battery...nothing shared. I got rid of most of the stock connectors and went with simple plugs.

It works so much better now, so much simpler.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Hey nice work, I must admit I'm a bit jealous. While I am a fair mechanic at best, electrical is my weakpoint! Seems like you know your way around the wires.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Electrical is my only strong point, everything else I'm sort of average.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

I don't even consider wiring "electrical". When it comes to diagnosing electrical components, that's different. Wiring is no different than plumbing irrigating...you're just moving a substance from point A to point B.

Your forks are void, by the way.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71
Your forks are void, by the way.
I was hoping nobody would notice. :(

Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Wow; what a rat's nest of wires! 8O You are doing a nice job.

It appears you have a Kenda K760 front tire; how do you like it? :?: Also, your forks and triple tree appear to be very similar to those on my Zong. If you have time, would you please post a photograph of your front wheel, and brake caliper?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm faced with building a wiring harness for an old XL, and I was thinking about using Molex connectors, since I have the extraction tool for the job.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #9

good work, love to see it. I'm a perfectionist too but it is always in my dreams, reality is I live in a rats nest and can't even get into the shed (true)
Its my gf's fault, she can't sleep with the smell of petrol so won't let me have the bike in pieces in the front room.