Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

New to forum and needs some info

I just bought a 2009 zongshen (taotao model ata250-e). I picked it up for $350.00, looks new. They said it would not start. I changed the oil, cleaned the spark plug, saw two wires touching making the kill switch always on. Anyways I got the quad started an it runs great. I have been searching for infomation for the last few hours. I need to know which spark plug to use I have seen post for ngk dr8es and dr8ea? I need the spark plug gap too. Also when it come to the exhaust what is the best direct fit replacement if any. And, has anyone done any type of modifications to same model? Thanks for your help.

Questions:

1. what spark plug dr8ea or dr8es
2. Spark Plug Gap?
3. Exhaust mod or what exhaust is a direct replacement?
4. Sprockets, part numbers for 14 tooth?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #2

Welcome!

Good score on your new quad. According to http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=d8ea&x=61&y=16 , the gap on a D8EA is 0.028" / 0.7mm. I'd use a D8EA, since that's what similar Honda's would use.

If you have a welder, modifying the exhaust is definitely cheaper. There are several aftermarket Chinese exhaust systems on eBay, but a lot of them aren't much less restrictive than the stocker. I'm using a muffler that was intended for a 150 quad, but it's virtually a straight pipe with a spark arrestor.

You can determine the correct sprocket at www.jtsprockets.com . Go to Online Catalogue, then Catalogue, then select Honda, Off Road Bikes and 100 to 199cc. The reason I recommend the smaller displacement choice is that your quad likely has a 428 chain. If your quad uses a 520, select 200 to 399cc. Measure your front sprocket according to the specs you find, and you'll easily find a replacement.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

What jets to you use if I modify the exhaust and intake? I live at 2500-3000 foot elv.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

Tell us what jet sizes are in there now, and we'll go from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer