Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand New Konker with cracked front fork

Hey all this is bad right? I was about to take only the second real ride I have done on this bike tonight when I thought I would remove the protector things from my front forks to see if they were the cause of an annoying rattle...and discovered this! I rode this bike for 3 hours yesterday morning and rode it to work and back today....I am sure glad I didn't have this come apart on me at 80 or 90 kph!

This bike has less than 200km on it. I am going to have to figure out how to fix it myself so I am going to need your wisdom. This bike was purchased below MSRP by about half because the shop wanted to get rid of them so as not to have to deal with Konker. The guy who sold it to me told me that Konker doesn't answer his emails, and I have seen a comment by another dealer to that effect so I guess I will find out for myself soon wether I can get parts from them or not.

Question 1: do you think I can just replace the cracked bit? or the whole fork?

Question 2: if I can't get parts from Konker can I order through Qlink in the states?

Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers, McKonker

Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #2

Yikes! That looks nasty! The pinch bolt looks like it was overtightened and that likely caused the failure... I sold my Konker and can't remember what the front fork setup was like, is there a bolt or something on the bottom of the broken piece so that you could remove it from the fork tube? I would check with Konker first for replacement parts, last time I looked their website was back up so maybe they are selling parts still. If they are Allan might be able to help you out. If not, you can surely buy parts from QLink as they are exactly the same bike. Be forewarned though, parts aint cheap for em! I think I paid 60 bucks just for that speedo gear hub in your pic counting shipping. Ouch! I wouldn't ride it with the crack in case it lets go completely, as Egon said about crossing the streams in Ghostbusters "That would be bad!"

Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #3

Hey thanks MICRider my thoughts exactly someone overtightened that bolt! Anyone know of a website I can access this part through? I will try Konker tomorrow during business hours, but I don't have a good feeling about it....

Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Not good. :?

The Q link site does not list the part you need. I would call Q. When I needed a fork leg (bad seal) I had to call them, it was not on the website, and they send it to me in about a week. I have no idea what it would cost though, mine was under warantee.

I agree with Brother W&G, someone overtigtened the pinch bolt. I've never seen such a thing in my life. Glad nothing bad happened. 8O

Suzuki will be of no help here, they use a conventional fork. It could be a run of the mill Lifanoid/Hondoid USD fork leg will work I don't know.

I'm losing some faith in Q's lately.... Been seeing more (serious) issues than I would like... :(

Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

I don't own a Qingqi/QLink/Konker XF200, but it appears to me you will need to acquire an entire right fork. :(

I would definitely not ride the bike in that condition! 8O I would first contact the dealer from whom you bought the bike. Even if the bike does not have a warranty, the dealer should still remedy this serious defect! :evil:

Spud :(

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #6

FWIW, people have called lawyers for less than this... :roll:

Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 PM   #7

They should send you a new fork leg.

It looks like you may have fallen victim to "The minimum wage unemployed family friend who has no idea how a assemble a bike and torques it down to his body weight on a 2 foot breaker bar" syndrome.

That syndrome runs rampant here in the CB World. Thank the Lord you didn't have to clean up an earlier Honda Clone. 8O

Price was stil right, huh? 8)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #8

I don't know about the price....could be I threw away $1700. I will know more after I talk to the shop owner, but I am not holding my breath. He was pretty clear about the "as is" nature of the deal. If it's just a matter of ordering a part and having it fixed I can live with that, but I have a feeling it's not going to be that simple. :(

Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKonker
I don't know about the price....could be I threw away $1700. I will know more after I talk to the shop owner, but I am not holding my breath. He was pretty clear about the "as is" nature of the deal. If it's just a matter of ordering a part and having it fixed I can live with that, but I have a feeling it's not going to be that simple. :(
Even an "as is" deal does not exempt a vendor from selling a motorcycle with a cracked fork leg. :evil: You are very lucky you escaped injury, and so is the dealer. If the dealer does not treat you justly, I encourage you to inform Konker, and the Better Business Bureau before you contact a lawyer. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

Wow, that looks bad.

It might be an issue with the aluminum casting, as well as the bolt. I would definitely contact someone at Konker, or Qlink, or somewhere as that could be a serious issue. I'm going to have to check the torque on mine now...

That part on other USD forks usually threads into the fork tube, but they use some super thread locker that makes it very hard to get off. You would probably be better off getting a whole new lower fork tube.

As others have said, and you probably know, don't ride it like that...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Even an "as is" deal does not exempt a vendor from selling a motorcycle with a cracked fork leg. :evil: You are very lucky you escaped injury, and so is the dealer. If the dealer does not treat you justly, I encourage you to inform Konker, and the Better Business Bureau before you contact a lawyer. :roll:
Totally agree. Especially if they did the assembly, the dealer is totally liable for that damage. Should it come to litigation, they would be found at fault. They should have documentation on the dealer prep. Maybe talk to the dealer and request their records for pre-delivery assembly or something like that. If you start probing, they may get nervous and be more inclined to help you out...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

I recommend that you kill 'em with kindness to start. I've had much more luck that way than with an agressive approach. Even if you need to pay an "administative fee" to get a replacement, it's better than paying full price for new forks, and certainly better than paying a lawyer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I recommend that you kill 'em with kindness to start. I've had much more luck that way than with an agressive approach. Even if you need to pay an "administative fee" to get a replacement, it's better than paying full price for new forks, and certainly better than paying a lawyer.
I agree; be pleasant, but firm. They can't sell you a new motor vehicle with a serious safety hazard, and expect you to accept the damage "as is." They know they are liable, and the law is on your side. You will undoubtedly make faster progress if you politely remind them of these facts, rather than threaten them.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #14

McKonker, I checked the Qlink parts list for both the XF and XP and neither lists this as a separate part, sorry.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #15

I found the part on the Qlink website for $300 but they don't ship to Canada. I also talked to a guy here called chinapartscanada.com and he said he can get the part but it will take four weeks. I have to figure out how to get it from Qlink, I need an American!!