Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 AM   #1

China Bikes

Alright, Hello everyone, Im Sean and im new to the forums.
Let me start off with i am 16, In the summer i got hunting and elk durring the year. But you just cant get very far anymore walking, and taking the truck is to expensive. So my Uncle and I have been looking at 4 Stroke dual sports for a while. For some reason BRAND NAME dualsports are super expensive even older models i assume it is because of the econemy and gas prices. So im looking at something more affordable, but i want something newer.

How long do these bikes last?
Can i exchange the motor with a brand name one?
do they got good power for hills
What size bike should i get? im 5"4 and 120lbs
What bike should i get?
Should i even get a china bike?

A few things im looking for Are:
Electric start
Exchangable parts "Basically something i can modify, if you know what i mean"
Something reliable not brake everytime i take it for a ride.
Can i put leds in these?

I know its a china bike and you get what you pay for but this is hunting im talking about, im not going to abuse the crap out of it or anything i just dont want to get stuck up in the middle of know where, and some of you may say to just save up and buy a brand name bike, but i cant afford it. Its impossible to get a job in this econemy and the prices are to high and i cant get electric start and all that fancy stuff on an older bike.but with a china bike for the price i can.

Is it worth it? Honestly?

I know im asking a lot. But i dont want to make a mistake on buying one of these.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #2

Welcome!

You're asking excellent questions; many people buy China machines and expect to just put gas and oil in 'em; it ain't like that. Like our esteemed Doctor on here (Fastdoc) says, you need to have a sense of humour to own a China bike. Basically, if you take the time to properly prepare a China machine and take care of it, it can be a functional and reliable machine.

I wouldn't bother with trying to transplant a Japanese engine into a China bike / atv; the China engines are usually the strong point. The brakes are ok, the frame is what it is and the bolts and bushings are often junk (but there are work-arounds for that).

Have you considered a China atv for hunting? It would make sense, especially for dragging a carcass out of the bush. I haven't hunted with my 200 air cooled atv, but I love it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome.
What do you have to do to prepare these bikes?
And an atv wont work they arnt legal on trails in washington and service roads. also i dont think they sell atvs with the amount of power i would need.
I shouldnyt have a problem putting a deer on a tarp and dragging it

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #4

Re: China Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Alright, Hello everyone, Im Sean and im new to the forums...
Welcome to these forums, Sean!
Quote:
...How long do these bikes last?...
If you change the engine oil regularly, and adjust the valve lash periodically, these bikes can last a very long time.
Quote:
...Can i exchange the motor with a brand name one?...
I agree with Weldangrind. The Chinese build very good, small-displacement, air cooled engines. You don't need a Japanese engine for these bikes.
Quote:
...do they got good power for hills...
If you choose the right sprockets, yes, these bikes have a lot of torque for hill climbing.
Quote:
...What size bike should i get? im 5"4 and 120lbs...
I would recommend a 200cc engine for your size, and your intended use for the bike.
Quote:
...What bike should i get?...
This question is tougher. The short answer is, you should search for the best deal currently available.
Quote:
...Should i even get a china bike?...
If you choose a Chinese motorcycle, you must be ready to do all your own repairs. You must also accept the fact that parts availability can be more difficult, and you will have very limited aftermarket support for a Chinese motorcycle.
Quote:
...A few things im looking for Are:
Electric start
Exchangable parts "Basically something i can modify, if you know what i mean"
Something reliable not brake everytime i take it for a ride.
Can i put leds in these?...
Electric start is common for the dual sport chinabikes. Some chinabikes are very rugged, while others require more preparation to ensure reliability for body hardware. For the most part, all the engines are reliable, if well cared for. Indeed, you can install LEDs on a Chinese motorcycle. However, as I stated earlier, the aftermarket support to modify these bikes is quite limited compared to a Japanese motorcycle.
Quote:
...I know its a china bike and you get what you pay for but this is hunting im talking about, im not going to abuse the crap out of it or anything i just dont want to get stuck up in the middle of know where, and some of you may say to just save up and buy a brand name bike, but i cant afford it. Its impossible to get a job in this econemy and the prices are to high and i cant get electric start and all that fancy stuff on an older bike.but with a china bike for the price i can...
Once the price approaches $2,000, you are usually better off buying a used, Japanese motorcycle. However, if you are willing to accept the limitations, many Chinese motorcycles are excellent values when priced much less than $2,000.
Quote:
...Is it worth it? Honestly?

I know im asking a lot. But i dont want to make a mistake on buying one of these.
We can help you make a better decision if you search the marketplace, and ask about a particular motorcycle you are considering for purchase. We will let you know if you find a good deal.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 AM   #5

Wow thanks for the info Spud.
Im really debating weather or not to go with CB or not. Its not a big problem if i come across a problems OVER TIME with the bike, but id like to get something that wont poop out on me after a few thousand miles.

When ordering these bikes, Do you have to build them? Im sure you do. And when you build them if you use lock tight and make sure everything is perfect you shouldnt have a problem correct?

As far as interest i really like the Q Link its a nice looking bike and as i have read lots of you have them. But its a bit out of my price range. I plan on spending 1400 MAX as thats all i can afford without a job. But if i get a job, 2011 klx250 ;D.

Im having troubles finding China bikes for sale. IF you can post me some links and name some bikes thatd be great. I have found the zongshen but its not Dual purpose id have to seperatley purchase a kit for that.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Wow thanks for the info Spud...
You're welcome, Sean.
Quote:
...When ordering these bikes, Do you have to build them? Im sure you do. And when you build them if you use lock tight and make sure everything is perfect you shouldnt have a problem correct?...
Unless you buy from a dealer, you are correct on all counts.
Quote:
...Im having troubles finding China bikes for sale. IF you can post me some links and name some bikes thatd be great. I have found the zongshen but its not Dual purpose id have to seperatley purchase a kit for that.
I don't have any links for you, Sean. However, if you search eBay, and the internet, you should be able to find some vendors. What Zongshen bike are you referring to, and what is the asking price?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #7

db_200c 1199 199 shipping
http://www.happyscooters.com/200cc-4...ike-p-168.html
i still like the Q better ;D

Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #8

Quote:
db_200c 1199 199 shipping
http://www.happyscooters.com/200cc-4...ike-p-168.html
i still like the Q better ;D
You're correct; that Zong is a dirt bike, and is not street legal. The price on that bike is also too high. The QLink bikes are good deals at $1,500-$1,700, delivered. However, as with the Zongshen 200GY-2, the supply of overstock QLink bikes is disappearing.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #9

im lovin the db-061
http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...googleshopping

Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 AM   #10

Quote:
That's a better deal than the last one, Sean. That price is not bad, if it includes free shipping. However, I think this vendor is probably charging extra for shipping. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #11

yeah im not really sure, like i said im having problems finding sellers.
Again if you know of any bikes that would suite my needs please list them =P.
how are jetmotos? and lifans

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #12

Its not a china bike, but have you looked at the yamaha tw200? It would be perfect for hunting.

Also Doc posted about WA passing new regulation allowing dirt bikes to be tagged.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
That's (sort of) a Honda clone, as is the Lifan and Jetmoto, among several others. There is a 125 pushrod engine that is made for developing countries, and the 200cc in the pic is a bigger version of it. The pushrod engine is meant to be a reliable engine despite no maintenance. That said, maintain it properly, and it will last a long time. I have a similar motor in my atv, and it's terrific.

The Honda clones tend to be worth less than the Zong Sierra or the Qlink. They can still be good bikes, they just might take more careful prep in the beginning, as several members here will tell you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #14

Welcome to the forum my fellow Washingtonian! 8)

Since your questions have been well and correctly answered I should mention I am selling my Chinabike, a 400cc Pitster Pro.

I am selling it VERY cheap, PM me if you want specific information.

This is the highest performance Chinabike available. It will run an easy 70 on the highway, has decent suspension, brakes, and ergonomics. It is an excellent trail bike and commuter, and tolerable for some highway jaunts.

You can learn all the (honest) details about it in this forum subheading under "FastDoc's Official Pitster Pro LXT400" thread.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #15

that tw200 looks awesome but i bet it has a heavy price.

As for the pitster send me a pm