Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #1

Funny thing happened on GIO's auction site...

Popped over to see how nuts the bidding was going on the dirt bikes... Lo and behold, they had one of the liquid cooled X37's on auction! First time I've seen one being auctioned... The kicker is that the highest bid when I last looked was $2166. Right below the bid button was a buy it now button with $1999 on it. I wonder if the fellow wins it and then sees what it costs to buy it now and does a Homer slap to the forhead? Doh!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Holy bidding frenzy! I wonder if he knows the product or is a newcomer to the CB scene.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #3

People do silly things with auctions, I think a lot of it is avoided with ebay, but live auctions are crazy. A local motorcycle school went out of business and auctioned everything off.. People were paying more then stuff was worth new for used old junk.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

Re: Funny thing happened on GIO's auction site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Popped over to see how nuts the bidding was going on the dirt bikes... Lo and behold, they had one of the liquid cooled X37's on auction! First time I've seen one being auctioned... The kicker is that the highest bid when I last looked was $2166. Right below the bid button was a buy it now button with $1999 on it. I wonder if the fellow wins it and then sees what it costs to buy it now and does a Homer slap to the forhead? Doh!
Wow, the $1999 sounds like a typo, the X37 normally sells for $2499, hmmm.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Giovanni bid on there own auctions. When there website first opened, the bids were all coming from mainly one person. :roll:

They have branched off to other venues, such as laptop cases and etc. Giobikes probably make more money on there mezzi cases than on there bikes, due to competition from other companies. You can get a 110cc atv for $400 brand new locally, with reverse and foot brake.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Gio (formerly Giovanni) was into cases before they were into powersports.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #7

Re: Funny thing happened on GIO's auction site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Wow, the $1999 sounds like a typo, the X37 normally sells for $2499, hmmm.
I suspect your right about the typo Wayne, I just checked the site and GIO's X31 big wheel model claims an MSRP of $1999... So theres no way the X37 could be going for that. I wonder if maybe they didn't mix the pic and description up with an X31 they were supposed to be auctioning? Lol, it definitely was an X37 in the pic though, the same pic they use on the X37 ad. Guessing they would have voided the auction when they realized the mistake?

As far as shill bidding goes, I don't doubt that for a moment. This winter I bet I bid on at least 50 (no exaggeration) of the X31's and X35's... On probably 40 of those bids, I was outbid by 1 bid, always on the ones that were going cheap and always by somebody with a number after their screen name, ie: Rick9423. Looky kind of suspicious to me :wink:

Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Gio (formerly Giovanni) was into cases before they were into powersports.
GIO is owned by Parnus Global Trading, mezzi is owned by Parnus as well, just some cross selling.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #9

This is weird, but they have another one of the X37's on auction and the buy it now price is again $1999.95.

http://www.giobikes.com/Auction/1921...18-Water-Cool/

Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
This is weird, but they have another one of the X37's on auction and the buy it now price is again $1999.95.

I guess their not moving too well for them then, but i guess if you use the buy it now tab on the auction then you will still pay the auction fee on it, i think it's still 10% over $500 so that would be another $200.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:

I guess their not moving too well for them then, but i guess if you use the buy it now tab on the auction then you will still pay the auction fee on it, i think it's still 10% over $500 so that would be another $200.
Ahh! I never even thought of the auction fee! First time I've ever saw a "buy it now" button on GIO's auctions. Lol, kind of reminds me of ebay! The water cooling scares the hell out of me, but it's a cool looking bike!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yozalo
Giovanni bid on there own auctions. When there website first opened, the bids were all coming from mainly one person. :roll:
I suspected that from the beginning, but didn't want to say anything. I have bought a few things, but holy cow it takes a lot of bidding to get a good deal on something.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #13

That said, several of us have scored some unbelievable deals on giobikes. Some of us (most notably PCD) even hoarded stuff.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That said, several of us have scored some unbelievable deals on giobikes. Some of us (most notably PCD) even hoarded stuff.
I still wonder what ever happened to PCD? He was very active on the forums, then got into a scrap with John and pretty much disappeared... I fear his bad experience with GIO soured him on the whole chinabike thing.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #15

I wonder about that as well. I sent him a couple of emails and a snail mail letter. No reply.