Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

new chain questions

hey guys is there anything that i am supposed to do with a new chain before installing and using it ?

i mean something like should i soak it in chain oil over night before the install or is there some kind of break in time frame with new chain

Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

I don't ever soak a chain in oil because I hate when it flings off and makes a mess.

I either ask someone to lift the back end or I place the frame on a block and run the engine at idle in first gear. With the chain spinning, I spray Maxima Chain Wax on either side of the chain (meaning left and right) and ensure good coverage. I do it again at some point during a break in riding while the chain is hot. Be careful with this procedure.

Expect your new chain to stretch a little, but a little loose is better than too tight.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

sweet, i was thinking of soaking it in chain oil over night then hanging it up and letting the excess drip off of it for a half day to full day then install it.

i ordered a d.i.d. 428 standard non oring chain, in the description from d.i.d. about this chain they said its prestretched so i am anticipating a very very small amount of stretch but not to much..

Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
sweet, i was thinking of soaking it in chain oil over night then hanging it up and letting the excess drip off of it for a half day to full day then install it.

i ordered a d.i.d. 428 standard non oring chain, in the description from d.i.d. about this chain they said its prestretched so i am anticipating a very very small amount of stretch but not to much..
Yeah, my DID went quite a ways til it need to be tightened up a bit. I usually just install out of the box and use motor oil to keep it lubed up.