Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Suzuki dr650 enduro

Anyone know if this would be to big of a bike for me to learn on? im 5ft 11" and weigh 158lbs? Found a person selling it but wanna make sure i ask the experts 8)

Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

Depends what you wish to learn! And what the learner bike size laws are in your area.

You can easily learn to ride on a big bike if you can keep your feet down either side. Its common-sense really, it has potential to hit things faster and harder if you make a mistake, than you will on a 200cc. But hit a tree/post/wall/vehicle at 60mph on a very light bike and you are still dead.

If you can control it, slow riding with a foot dab here and there while you start in a field or paddock or training school in a large carpark, then you will not have any problems with a larger bike that is well tuned and changes gear/throttles up/down smoothly; after all, the brakes and shocks are designed for that size and weight. Your own height and weight should be enough to handle it.

Don't make your first few yards in the driveway, get it wrong and you will hurtle out of control into the road/your wife's BMW or the kids and the cat.

Naturally some would say a little bike you can pick up easily and manoeuvre easily will be easiest. They would be right. But easiest isn't always best.

Have you done ANY riding before? Are you confident with gears and steering?

Do you intend to go off road at first and a lot on real grungy trails afterwards? If so get a light bike you can pick up and handle. Do you intend to cruise a few hundred miles? get the big bike.

What is your main concern anyway? Identify that and you will answer your own question. There are no hard and fast answers but breaking down your own thoughts into logical questions and answers will mean you can make your own decision which is always best.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

If you are intended to learn to ride dirtbikes disregard, if you want to ride on the street, go take lessons.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

i have done alittle riding of dirt bikes when i was a kid. Im pretty much a newbie to riding. I plan on using it for more on road than off road. I thought i posted it earlier that i was a new rider. My bad I guess my fear is a 200 cc enduro wont be powerful enough, but that a 650 might be to much.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

I'd say sit on it, and see how it fits you. No matter the engine size (unless some kind of failure takes place), it won't go faster then you twist the throttle. Sorry you very well could have posted that and I didn't see it. I would still recommend lessons if you intend to ride on the street.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

It is best to give all the relevant information in any one post, we don't remember all we read or connect it to someone's name!

I think the whole 'dual sport/enduro motorcycle' scene is inflated and stupid at the moment. partly a fad and as fashion. Many of them are neither off-road or on-road, some are OK at both, some are good at both. Usually depends on how you set t up, tyres and shockers, sprocket and seats and bars as much as anything else.

How much offroad you really going to do? Will you jump and scream around sand and mud and rocks? Or will you just go down a country trail or two?

A decent road bike that isn't too badly built or too sporty or blinged up will go off road with no problems. Naturally you will have problems with a hardtail or cruiser or chopper or racing queen They're bad enough on the ordinary roads depending on rake and angles of seating.

A solid and stable road bike will go hundreds of miles down ordinary dirt and gravel tracks and will be much more comfortable and efficient on the tarmac. A dualsport, even with a big engine, will not be good on tarmac with knobbies and so on. And it won't be that good on trsails with dual sport motard type tyres. You HAVE to know your terrain and the reality of it, not the dreams.

There is plenty of cross-over market but again, you need to work out what is wish and, what is need, what is practical.

If you want to do real dirt then you need a real dirt bike. The zook will do that once you know you can actually ride the bloody thing. But only with knobbies, well set up and with you wearing all the gear, all the time. Dirt riding is not playtime until you are experienced. It is dangerous and even deadly.

A 250cc dual sport may be a good compromise but think about tyres and conditions and your skills. A 200cc will be too slow if you commute long miles, however much silly money you spend on exhausts and so on.

Hopefully you get my point - the 650 enduro is ideal if you really NEED a 650 enduro and are strong enough.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #7

You've received some fine tips from experienced riders here.

X2 on lessons if you intend to ever ride on the street. Depending upon your insurance agent, it might even earn you a discount.

My philosophy is to start with a smaller, lighter machine and really understand the dynamics. If the DR is too good of a deal to pass up (and you have the available funds), perhaps you could store it for the summer while you gain experience on something smaller. You could always sell a smaller bike when you're done with it.

At the end of the day, you might actually drop the bike as a new rider. I'd much rather drop a lower value Chinese bike than a decent DR.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #8

I owned a 91 DR650 and I'm 5'10" the bike was very tall and more than once as I came to a stop I found just the littlest low spot where my foot would go was just enough to allow the bike to fall over before I could catch it.
The bike has incredable torque thats seems to never end.

I have ridden minibikes and motorcycles most of my life so it wasnt my first bike just the first one that was that tall.

The bike itself in stock form was AWESOME to ride and was best out back on the dirt roads it was good on pavement but at around 95MPH it started to get a bit difficult since it was so tall it would just cut the wind and almost lane change in a split second but then I never rode it that fast but once.It was just about topped out.

Off road in the woods it has plenty of power but you'll rarely get it out of third unless the trail opens up but in third you'll be doing 45-50mph and in a tight trail that is fast on that big bike.

If you have riding experience the bike would be OK but if your new and want to take it off road I think you'd find yourself overwhelmed by that big of a bike.

A 350-400cc sized dualsport would be the better choice.

I sold mine when I realized I was riding it more on road than off and the nuts around here never seem to see motorcycles.I prefer riding off road with the option to shoot down the road when I want.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #9

There is a website called bestbeginnerbikes.com, or something close to that. Check it out lots of good info there.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #10

I agree with Teamcheap about going to a smaller size. A 350cc-400cc will get you where you want to go and will be easier to learn on because it will be lighter and less HP/torque to get used to. See if you can find a DR400. It can either be the duel sport (DRZ400S) or the street (DRZ400SM). Here's a review of the SM from the site doc mentioned above;

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.c...-400-sm-review

Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #11

I am really not sure that a difference in 12 kg in mass will make that much difference on a well-balanced and well set up bike. Such factors as wheel base length and springs response also come into play, even how slippery the seat is! A lighter bike is not always easier to ride on or off road, you need the right power in the right place at the right time and that needs everything set up right - because you are moving along, shock and suspension set up affects weight on wheels for steering and grip, the gearing, chain adjustment, rake angle, oil in shocks, handlebar angles, seat width, all are many factors in DYNAMIC balance, not just dry mass. And then you get how the power is delivered -

And skill and experience of course (that is you) which finally controls the whole thing. You are on your own, not sitting in front of a computer! ANY bike out of control on a bumpy track with trees either side is going to break your neck, light or heavy. And a light bike may give you too much confidence and take you too fast into places you are not ready for. So if you can sit the 650 and need it because of the commute, it is still not necessarily out.

The thing about REAL learning is it is NOT necessary to get a lighter bike, it IS necessary to practise on the machine you want to ride. Over and over. Starting simple and then, GOING SLOWLY. if you can handle it slowly you are fine Just don't go too fast yet! SIMPLE.

You can avoid the bumps and ruts and pitfalls, you can steer round them or stop and consider them or even go by another route. Nothing but stupidity in going somewhere dangerous or beyond your skills, has little to do with the bike - it is your own thinking you have to get right.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #12

The first bike I ever owned was a Suzuki GS1100. In it's day it was the fastest bike in the world. We did fine together. I don't think we ever even got a speeding ticket. I rode that bike 50,000 miles in 8 years.

This may not be the right answer for everybody, but a bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #13

Thanks guys! Ya i will go with a smaller bike for now just until i become more experienced. No need to over do it as a young rider. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #14

I'm only commenting on the dr 650 from having had one and it is an awesome bike but a bit much for a beginner off roading IMO even on road it wasnt the best handling bike, lots of fun to ride with gobs of smooth power though.
The bad thing I found about the dr650 I had was 18 minutes, 18 minutes and my butt was going numb it was very uncomfortable to ride on the road just sitting, off road it was OK as I stand alot when riding off road.
My GY-5 is much much easier to ride off road than the 650 was but lacks enough power to ride the streets safely IMO.
I myself would probably never buy another dr650 size or larger to use for mostly off roading.
If I was going to do a lot of off roading and still ride the streets I'd want a 400cc size bike.

But I do have dreams of buying one of these.................................

BMW r1200gs adventure.
(I wouldnt run it much in the trails )