Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

electrical help

Ok so I got a new kill switch/ head light switch/starter button and last night I went to wire in the start button and kill switch so I could test the start button. Well I don't get anything when I hit the button. For the start button its got 2 wires going to it. Figured easy enough to wire that and test it. So I'm kind of stuck, I've gone over all the wire harness plugs 4 or 5 times now, I've tried holding the clutch, front brake and still nothing. I've switched the 2 wires around and still nothing.

I think I might have popped something cuz when I connect the battery. I don't get that spark when I touch the ground cable to the negative batter post.

Not sure what information u guys need to help with this but just ask and I will answer. I have the wiring diagram for the new switch setup, but trying to figure out the stock wiring harness is proving to be a nightmare and I haven't even started work on the head light switch yet. Oh and the new switch assy is a 8 wire setup just like the stock one.

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shined on this little problem of mine.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

Have you tried crossing the poles of the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if it starts that way? If so you have a bad solenoid.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

Maybe the main fuse is blown.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

My thought is the main fuse as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Lol, I popped the fuse. Forgot I even had the fuse cuz I relocated it to hide it from view.

I also broke down and to the new switch housing completely apart and traced all wires. they where all the same color as the stock harness plug but every wire is reversed in its position. Also took a look at the head light switch and have a much better idea of how to wire it in the only thing I'm stumped on now is the stock switch setup has a rocker switch for the head light on/off , the new switch setup does not have the rocker switch just the lights off, parking and head lights on.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

Good to know your main issue was a nonissue.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

Ya tell me about it, I felt so stupid all night last night cuz its a simple 2 wire starter button and 3 wire kill switch.

Now its on to wiring in the head lights or better yet figuring out which wire goes where.

There is one wire that is soldered to 2 points on the hl switch on both setups. Figure that wire stays the same from the stock switch to the new one. So that leaves 2 wires. Running lights and turning on the hl's. I hope. But I have 4 more fuses so lol 3 chances to get it right.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #8

Sometimes it helps me to walk away for a bit and then come back to it with a fresh mind.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #9

ya i always try to take a step or 2 back when i start getting a little ticked off at something.. but like i said i forgot that there was that fuse, other wise it would have been the first thing id have checked.. lol i thouhgt i fried something and started stressing a little about trying to figure out what i fried... but it does help that i am taking this winter rebuild nice and slow..

im almost done just gotta get handle bars, grips, throttle/front brake lever, crack in the swingarm fixed, new body, a new tire to match the newest rear one i have, battery box and intake box, oh and a new chain and master link, maybe new sprockets but i dunno yet..

Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Sometimes it helps me to walk away for a bit and then come back to it with a fresh mind.
Sometimes it helps me to walk away and go find a bigger hammer and come back swinging.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Sometimes it helps me to walk away and go find a bigger hammer and come back swinging.
Two wise statements

Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #12

alrighty well here is an update for the electrical side of my head light switch.. i just now got the rear brake light to come on dim when i move the head light switch from all way down which is off, up one postion whihc is the parking or running lights.. rear brake light comes on dim and then bright when i push the brake pedal down.. ok sweet that part is figured out and working with no smoken wires or wierd burning smells..

now to the head lights.. when i move the headlight switch to the 3rd and upper most postion which should turn the head lights on and leave the rear brake light dim.. but it does not do that, when i move the headlight switch to the upper posotion to turn the headlights on they do not come on and the rear brake light turns off.. any idea's on what could be causing this annoying little issue ? its take me forever to get the parking lights to work properly and would love to finish up the headlight switch so i can bundle up the wires and tightlyh wrap them in electrical tape and call it a day..

i think the wires are wrong on the actual headlights them selves.. since i used fog lights i stripped the stock light sockets from the harness in a nut shell no longer use the green wires for the head lights, i use the blue and white ones.. i think there not grounded and thats the issue but i dont see how to ground them when the lights them selves only have a 2 wire hook up..

UPDATE

got the head light to turn on but the tail turns off whenever i switch the head light on.. so any idea's on where i went wrong ?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #13

very last up date

got it sorted out and working, the head lights were not grounded.. guys the green wires are grounds and black wires are power wires.. so i swapped a bullet plug from the blue head light wire to the green head light wire and it turns on with the switch. then i realized i had gotten confused and swapped by accident the parking lights wire with the running lights wire.. swapped them around the rear tail light now comes on dim with the 2nd position on the hl switch and then stays on and stays dim when i turn the head lights on and it does go brighter whenever the rear brake pedal and front brake lever are used..

so its good to go, just gotta get the swingarm welded and the new chain installed

Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #14

Congrats, I'm glad you were able to sort that out

Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

thanks man, my list deff got a lot shorter with the completion of the switch wires