Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #1

Nitrogen vs air vs something else?

Well I got my Gio performance nitrogen shocks. Complete with no nitrogen. I sort of thought since the problem had been from such a long time ago, they would now have solved the problem. I guess not. I can't be sure they're leaking, I only know they're empty. I will probably have them charged with Nitrogen when the Beast is done, and see how long they last, but thought it might be good to ask some questions and talk about the merits.

Searching around I've read some of the arguments for nitrogen. I've read things such as "N2 has bigger molecules" so it should be less likely to leak through the bladder in the shocks. I read that it is better because it is inert. I read it is better because it doesn't carry moisture.

I've also read arguments that air is 78% nitrogen, so it should suffice. I've read using Argon (from a welding tank) will work too. I've read that if you use air from a source with a quality air drier, it may suffice.

I read using air, and to a lesser extent Argon, you will cause the shock to heat up much quicker, while nitrogen will keep it cool.

What I've taken away from this is, the benefits of air is that it's free, but the main downside is that it likely contains water vapor and may heat up quicker. Nitrogen is better because it doesn't contain the water vapor that could contaminate the shock oil, and won't heat up your shock as quick as with air.

What does this mean for us? For me, I am still very sure that I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I would say if I can get nitrogen cheap (I can) I will go with that and see how it works. If it becomes apparent my shocks can not hold pressure, then I will probably just switch over to topping them up with dried air before a ride. From what I understand trying to get the shock leaks straightened out, is troublesome, either much work to repair, or much hassle to try for a warranty claim.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 AM   #2

dont think ive ever heard of the gio performance type shocks actually holding air all that well. ive thought about if ihad a set taking them apart and seeing if i could find the leak or just trying some motor oil, shock oil, whatever kind of oil would work best.. since i havent gotten around to upgrading my quads suspension i havent done enough research on the shocks.

but honestly id just bolt them on and forget about them

Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #3

Some of the guys (waynec comes to mind) removed the air bladder and sealed the rim of it with epoxy. Apparently it is better able to hold pressure after that.

I have an example of waynec's handiwork if you'd like to see it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

I was under the impression that it didn't withstand the test of time?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #5

I haven't done any testing yet, but we sure could.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer