Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

06 Lifan 200GY $500 fixer upper

Just bought my 200GY5 ($500 ) and doing a preflight inspection found the rear sprocket was loose. Wondered if there was any write up about taking it apart. I'm sure I'll be ok once I put the wrenches too it but any education is helpful before I start. Just want to tighten it up right? Just have to fix that, do some headlight repair, repaint the plastic (PO painted it flat black), fix the floppy kickstart, and ....fix the throttle...excited son was twisting the throttle back further and further and HEY that shouldnt spin all the way around...broke the plastic that holds the throttle cable in place.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #2

Re: 06 Lifan 200GY $500 fixer upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxj
Just bought my 200GY5 ($500 ) and doing a preflight inspection found the rear sprocket was loose. Wondered if there was any write up about taking it apart. I'm sure I'll be ok once I put the wrenches too it but any education is helpful before I start. Just want to tighten it up right? Just have to fix that, do some headlight repair, repaint the plastic (PO painted it flat black), fix the floppy kickstart, and ....fix the throttle...excited son was twisting the throttle back further and further and HEY that shouldnt spin all the way around...broke the plastic that holds the throttle cable in place.
Welcome to these forums, XJ; we are glad you joined us! Congratulations on acquiring your GY5; it sounds as if you got a good deal. Perhaps the rubber bushings that hold the sprocket studs are loose. I own a Yamaha clone, not a Honda clone such as yours, so I will defer to the Honda guys when they respond. Krylon Fusion is great spray paint for your bike's plastic. You can probably find a throttle tube on eBay.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #3

yellowxj,

Sprocket can get loose? I better check mine too. I don't have a check list or know enough to make one yet.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

Welcome. On the sprockets. It was well known for the studs that bolt to the sprocket to shear off. Also the rubber parts fail due to cheap china rubber.

The sprocket should be held on with a large c-clip.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m2988#sch20077

Sprocket may have a small amount of play after installed.

The parts are available from honda

Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

THANKS. If I'm reading the rear wheel picture right the bolts that go thru the sprocket fit in to bushings in the rear hub so for the sprocket to have a little play is ok. Just means the bushings are a little worn? Cool. Hope to upgrading the sprocket soon any way...

Now Ive got to figure out the head light...bulbs missing and the connector is broken...headlight is broken on one side where it bolts to the mounting bracket/cowl...thinking about some LED driving lights for low beams and a small off road light for high...I can probably make it all fit...fabrication time...

Old 12-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
I can probably make it all fit...fabrication time...
Key phrase for a Chinabike owner...
A few of us have converted to H-4 base headlight bulbs...get one of those bases at the local salvage yard :wink: .
Good luck with the fixes.
Bill R

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

Send me a PM. I may have some parts left that you can use. I have a 42T? rear sprocket. Got the whole rear wheel if you are interested. A few other pieces too. This is all from BillRs bike that I parted.

Allen

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

Thanks, got a lot checked out today..got the throttle fixed, adjusted the clutch, painted bits and pieces, took the battery out, added water, and put a hard charge on the battery...put it back on and POW...electric starter works now...then I put a 55w off road light on as a head light BUT...it was really dim at idle...when I revved the bike the light got brighter and brighter and POW...lights out...dont know if it was a old bulb (in an old light...its matching light had already blown)...put an LED tail light bulb in...works great but no running light...related to the head light? Nothing else went POW...son hopped on his Honda and we raced around the pastures for a bit...bike did great. (He just outgrew his china 50cc bike's...got a flawless honda 70 for $500 for him)

Thanks, for the parts offer...I'll be passing through the ATL day after x-mas...heading up to Blue Ridge for a wedding...

[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #9

You got a lot accomplished today; your bike looks good, XJ!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #10

Looks good

Old 12-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #11

You're bike looks really good. I'm diggin' the flat black.

I wonder if 55 watts is a little much for the headlight switch and dimmer. I had 18 watt bulbs in my Gio Beast atv, and I intend to swap them for something brighter, but I'll use a relay to protect the switch and wiring. What wattage was the stock bulb?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #12

Dont know..it was missing..doubt if it was more than 55 watts though...I cant imagine the bike putting out enough to blow the bulb...regular running light (tail light) isnt working either...time to take it to the alien workshop...its probe time

Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
time to take it to the alien workshop...its probe time
Tears in my eyes!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #14

500.00!? 8O
Smokin deal! Wow!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

It may have been AC voltage going to the bulb.

I will gone at Christmas, but if you are interested in parts let me know. I may be able to put them someplace for you.

Allen