Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #1

looking for dirt bike reviews/suggestions

so with my new job starting soon, i am in the market for a dirt bike. looking to buy one in the next few months or after the 1st of the year at the latest.

can any one give me some info on any drit bikes they have experience with ? what you like or dont like, even down to the smallest thing about chain adjustments would be a big help. i want some kind of idea about what i am getting in to.

not really sure about dirt bikes, i do know that a 450 is going to be big for me for just starting out/price wise. ive sat on a 450 and it felt huge, so im thinking a 250 would be a good size for me.
i would be staying name brand unless a really good deal came along for a china bike.

honda or yamaha but open to reviews and information on kawasaki, and suzuki as well. (i love yamaha, so turbo cant wait to hear from you)

p.s. ive talked about getting a street bike, i will start my msc after i get a over all feel for 2 wheels with the dirt bike in terms of balance and handling (prolly better to fall on dirt and grass while learning the basics then it fall on pavement). then some time around my birthday next year (4/17) i will be getting either the suzuki gs500f or a ninja 250r..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

I agree with you Mike, 250 is a good starting point (or finishing point in my case). I have an old '96 Honda XR250R, and it's all the bike I need. The last version of the XR250R's were still air cooled, but they had the engine oil circulating through the frame to further remove heat (the dipstick is in front of the gas tank). They were virtually identical (except for colour) from 1996 to 2004. As an example, mine wears 2002 fenders and a different year (can't remember) headlight shroud. Parts are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

TurboT's bike is a treat to ride. The roll-on torque is impressive, and his bike makes nearly double the horsepower that mine does. That power comes at a cost, which is a sophisticated cooling system. The carb is complex compared to mine, and it includes a lean-out lever for hot starts (mine only has a decompression lever).

I'm done with two-strokes as a main bike. I'd much rather have the low RPM torque of a strong four stroke. If I could trade up for little cash, I'd get an XR400, but I'm really happy with my 250.

I know I've said it before, but if I were in your shoes, I'd buy a cheap DS. No trailer needed.

Congrats again on the new job!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #3

thanks man, i am stoked about the new job.. no more manual labor and working in a non ac warehouse during summer.. or as well call it the oven..

went to tj's to buy jets today and checked out some ktm's and a they also had 2 ninja's there. one was a 250r and the other iirc was a 600.. to bad if they where red i might have filled out a application for payments..

ya 450's way to big size wise for me, 250 or 150 is going to be perfect.. depending on what i can find used and if i can find what i want when the time comes. i might just go to tj's and get a brand new ktm

Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #4

Congratulations on the job!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

I wouldn't reccomend a brand new KTM for a first dirt bike, for one they are very (very!) expensive, number two is that they are very high maintenance... Never had one myself but I know a couple of guys that have them, one fellow is even a mechanic.

As far as recommendations go, this is Chinariders after all, so I suggest a good 200 cc dual purpose to learn on... My fave being the Konker/Q Link bikes, made on the same assembly line as a DR200 but without the exorbitant price. Great bike to learn on as well, light and nimble with adequate power, but not enough to get into serious trouble. Seriously awesome bike, wish I hadn't sold mine.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #6

Hey Mike,

I have thoughts. I'll share with anyone who might be new here, or lurking, that I bought a 2004 YZ 250 F as my first ever bike, having never ridden a motorized two wheeler in my life, ever. I bought it when I was 34.

I had no idea what I was buying, the kind of power it had, or if it was suitable for a 'first timer.' The only thing that's saved me from making a huge mistake for my first bike is my size. This is meant no disrespect to you, but from my memory I have about 100lbs and almost a foot on you in size. With that extra weight and leg size, I can actually keep the wheel down if I sit at the front of the seat, anyone smaller, I'm not so sure, especially a novice rider. A 450 version of this bike to me seems like death wish city.

Now I'm going to be nice. I love the YZ, don't want to say anything bad about it to piss it off, it already tries to kill me when I get on it as it is.

The thing rides nice, suspension is awesome, starts easy and revs to no end. It makes power at low rpm, mid rpm, high rpm. I think if I pissed in the tank it would still make power. This is a five titanium valve race tuned single cylinder monster. I cannot recommend a YZ 250 F for your first motorcycle. I enjoy you in our forums too much.

The fact of the matter is you can't compare the cc rating on bike to that of your 200cc Chinaquad. It's an entirely different beast.

My recommendation for you would be, TTR 230, CRF 230, CRF 150, or an air cooled XR if you go pure dirt.

As Stew mentioned, a 200cc DS isn't a bad idea either.

Just my 02c.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #7

i will look into those bikes turob, thanks. didnt really think a 250 db would differ to much from a 250 quad..

on a side note, took a sample tx dmv motorcycle test and passed it with only 2 missed questions the very first time and with out doing a second of study time, its all common sense like a car exam. so i am deff going to go cheap on the dirt bike, the austin cl section ive seen a few xr100's go for under a grand. might be taking my dmv written exam real soon, then taking the msc even sooner then planned. so i need to get a dirtbike to putt around on and get used to the twist throttle and braking and leaning the bike around..

Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #8

Well....with Motocross being my background may I suggest a good used smaller 100cc- 125cc 2 stroke like a KX100 or Kx125. They are small, light and easier to work on unlike four strokes. I will be dating myself but my first MX bike was a 1980 PE175 2 stroke and then a 1984 KDX200...tho' she was a heavy pig it was a great bike to learn on.

Then I owned a 1987 Cr125,1990 YZ 250, 1992 CR 500(Big mistake) 1998 RM 125cc, 2002 Kawasaki 250cc 2005 Rm 125cc.

But my favorite bike was the 1993 KX 125cc.....I bought it in 9 boxes and rebuilt it myself from scratch....

Go small and work up to bigger bikes when your comfort allows but becarefull...it get addicting when you feel the snap!!!!