Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #1

31-250

Brand new bike, looks great sounds great but when i put it into gear it jumps ahead and stops. i put 20w 50 in for oil is this to thick? I also have no idea how to adjust the clutch. any help would be appreciated Thanks

Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #2

what kind of oil ? it needs to be a oil ment for wet clutch 4 stroke motors.. reg motor oil will damage the clutch plates..

the adjustment for the clutch is on the handle bars in front of the clutch lever, and then again down on the motor where the 2nd lever is just follow the clutch cable.. but i couldnt tell you how to adjust it properly, woudl be interested in finding out my self..

Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #3

The clutch must have slack in the cable to be adjusted properly. There should be 1-2mm of slack in the lever indicating the that clutch is fully engaged when you don't have your hand on the lever.
If there is no slack, then the clutch is not fully engaged and will slip slightly causing clutch wear whenever you are running the bike!
I find with the GIO's however that you cannot have slack in the cable and use the two finger clutch pull method... You must pull the lever in all the way so that it is touching the grip in order to get the clutch to disengage fully...

This is hard on the hands to use all your fingers to pull it in, and you end up getting really sore after an hour of riding.
Oh well, it's the GF's bike after all..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #4

oil for 250 cc

the oil for the bike is posted in the manual.. you can use sythetic.. there is no wet clutch... this is a manual transmission... automatic atvs can not use the sythetic unless it is the new stuff.. the biggest thing to setting the clutc so it does not stall when shifted is .. low engine rpms.. and take the shifter arm off so you can adjust the clutch linkage as short as possible.. it will seem like there is no freeplay in the clutch adjsutment.. you will see tthat the clutch will release and let you select the gear without the bike jumping when the gear is shifted from nuetral... it says somewhere ... the bike should not jump forward when gear selection is made... if you do this and it does not jump... then the clutch is adjusted..I will try to find this is the manual for the bike and post it

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #5

250 cc engine oil

OK I just went to the GIO site,., it says engine oil... 15 W 40.. Same as the ATVS call for..

Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #6

wet clutch

ok.. sorry again.. It is a WET CLUTCH.. but you have to adjust the cable until it does not jump into gear when you shift it into 1st gear.. it would be nice if the clutch lever was designed a litlle better to allow you more pull before it hits the handle bars.. as this would give you more pull when dis-engaging the clutch.. once again.. 15 w 40 oil.. you could go lighter but use ATV.. OR MOTORCYCLE OIL.. regular car oil uses the synthetic stuff.. check the label . for the energy star saying this..15 w 40 does not ... and dike oil does not.. all bike shops will sell you the right stuff..

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #7

Re: oil for 250 cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
.. there is no wet clutch... this is a manual transmission...
Are you saying the clutch runs dry in this bike?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

Re: wet clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY
ok.. sorry again.. It is a WET CLUTCH....
Oh, i thought so, didn't think those clutches ran dry in there.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

wet clutch

I had thought that since it was not an automatic that it was a dry clutch.. I read some more info and I was wrong as I quoted in the above reply.. I do know that youhave to take up the play in the clutch adjustment as I do this to all my bikes that I sell as you have to have full release of the clutch to dis-engage it so it will not jump into gear when shifted from neutral to 1st.. and that regular car oil should not be used.. atv, bike , or 10w-40 Is what is required.. lighter for winter..