Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 PM   #1

X31 - tires, now bearings

I got a set of Dunlop MX-51 tires for my X31 from www.rockymountainatvmc.com
they arrived last week, finally got around to pulling the wheels off to take them in to get the original tires replaced.

Decided to check the bearings, at least get the numbers off them. I have been down this road before with Chinese bearings, they are the worst. Well sure enough, the rear bearings I couldn't even turn by hand, so looks like I will be shopping for bearings tomorrow. The seals are kind of crap, but I will be using sealed bearings, so the seals aren't that big a deal, basically to keep water and dirt out.

FYI to anyone, these are the bearings you require for the X31:
front - 6301-2RS, 6201-2RS
rear - 6302-2RS, 6302-2RS

The 2RS refers to 2 rubbers seals, one on each side. I recommend either SKF or Timken bearings, I usually buy all my bearings from a company called "BC Bearing", I ain't no expert on bearings, but I have used both SKF and Timken and I think they are fairly high-end.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #2

Excellent info.

I've found really good prices at Precise Bearing in Abbotsford, BC. I agree that SKF and Timken are high quality, but I've also had good luck with Nachi bearings from Japan (at low prices).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

Do you have a stepped axel shaft? why 2 diferent sizes on the same wheel?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Same shaft size, one bearing is wider than the other.

FYI, it cost me about $65 for a set of SKF high-quality sealed bearings.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Quote:

Wow. 8O

Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. 8O
wow does not express the full shock value of 65 dollar bearings.. i think

holy crap batman covers it slightly better

Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. 8O
wow does not express the full shock value of 65 dollar bearings.. i think

holy crap batman covers it slightly better
I tried to keep it family friendly.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
wow does not express the full shock value of 65 dollar bearings.. i think holy crap batman covers it slightly better
That's for all four, not each! So like $17 each. A small price to pay, as I will likely never have to touch them again. Or worry too much about seized bearings out on the trail somewhere.

A tip to anyone else doing this - even though these are sealed bearings, you should be greasing the hell out things as you reassemble. Especially the seal - you should have grease packed in the back of it, and make sure you put grease on the silver-colored small tubes, where they go through the seal! Mine had zero grease, and not only was there water inside the hub, but the seals are wearing out where that tube goes through them.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #9

Agreed. Grease is excellent for displacing water. That's why I drilled the rear axle for a zerk on my Beast; grease occupies the space between the bearings to keep water out.

BTW, I did the same thing on my utility trailer.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #10

For anyone that cares;

Use MARINE grease to lube the inside of the hub inside the inner spacer for the axel bolt. This will truly repel water, as regular axel grease does so but for only a short time.

Also, chinese bearings that I have used, have been very good. I had a set locked up and then lubed it up with penetrating grease and they were good to go again. However they had a good 1-2mm of play side to side after that. Good idea if you need a quick fix and no one has the bearings in stock at the moment.

Finally, keep your front and rear wheels out of deep water and avoid the pressure washer where bearings are present! There is enough power even in a weak pressure washer to force water into sealed bearings like the ones in your front and rear wheel. Mud holes and river crossings will penetrate the bearing eventually if done enough.
You can open up sealed bearings and lube them, just takes a bit of work. As for linkage and suspension bearings/swing arm, use the marine grease to prolong life.
If you happen to go through a few river crossings, check the bearings at least and make sure the grease is still greasy and no drying up.

Lube your axel shafts as well with marine grease to prevent them from siezing inside of the wheel hub when you need to take a wheel off.
I lubed mine up very well on my yz250 about 3 months ago and they were starting to sieze inside the hub when I took my rear wheel off yesterday. Was very hard to get off, but I did not use marine grease and I also put 30 some hours on the bike with unforgiving terrain (water/mud holes).

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the tip. Do you have a preferred brand of marine grease? Where do you buy it?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #12

Any hardware store, you can get it in a tub or a grease cartridge for a grease gun (small and large). It's usually double the price btw, very sticky and tacky stuff but holds up much better than regular grease.
I was buying some cartridges and a pack of two small ones was 6$ and the marine grease ones of the same size was 16$.

It will be labeled "marine" somewhere on the package.