Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Front wheel interchange

I guess I messed up by hi-jacking my sprocket thread. :oops: LoL so here goes my question.

Which wheels will interchange with my Maxfine? So far, I think we've concluded that the Trailmaster & Loncin bikes are the same bike? I know a lot of Honda XL parts swap, but just want to double check what wheels do before dropping coinage on a new front wheel. It seems that the Chinese wheels can't take too hard of a beating on rocky trails (or at least not from my fat butt).

I'm finding all kinds of Suzukis & Yamahas with no motors for sale dirt cheap on CL, but not sure how I'm supposed to measure what will fit?
Are all hubs the same?
How about swapping out the whole triple trees, forks, etc. to a Japanese bike? Just wondering what is going to make this an easier task to deal with in the future.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #2

Either option is workable, but it will depend upon the quality of information that you find. If you wish to swap over a complete front end from the big four, you'll need to confirm that the stem is the same length (or slightly longer), and that the bearings are the same. Start with www.cmsnl.com and use the fiche to see if bearing sizes are shown.

Bear in mind that if the new forks are longer, the low speed handling will be compromized, but high speed handling will improve. Be mindful of the steering stops as well (nothing that a MIG welder couldn't fix). New forks would give you access to better quality and more accessible front end parts.

If you choose to just swap on another front wheel, you'd need to ensure that the rotor clears the caliper properly, and that the axle is the same diameter. The spacer on the right side is immaterial, because you could always cut a new one.

Whatever you decide, please publish the results.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

Re: Front wheel interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rago
I guess I messed up by hi-jacking my sprocket thread. :oops: LoL so here goes my question...
You didn't mess up, Rago. However, I am very glad you started another thread. You have asked excellent questions, and they deserve a new thread. I hope your questions get greater visibility, and generate more responses because of this separate thread. Please do keep us updated; we are interested to hear what you discover.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

It might take me a little while to do some research & shopping around, but as I get information I will post my findings.