Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

car talk

yup went for a little drive to get some more smokes.. decided to take a quick spin and listen to the radio.. stopped at a light in the front row a black 94 honda civic vtec swap pulls up next to me :twisted: on the left, then a new nissan maxima pulls on the right :twisted: ..

the honda starts his bee swarm ( exhaust sounds like a swarm of bee's in a tin can) but he is throwing out white smoke from the exhaust so his motor has problems somewhere.. then the maxima lets out a little throttle blip.. im holding my revs at 2500 light turns green and i pop the clutch..had to feather the gas cuz the rear end started to break loose..

i leave the honda like it was broke down, but the damn maxima's nose was even with my rear bumper and spinning his tires. slammed 2nd gear got some decent wheel spin, i can hear the maxima slam 2nd too and spin his tires.. here comes 3rd gear, slam it again got a decent chirp, maxima chirps 3rd too. so im thinking crap this maxima is giving me a good run.. but i still got him, or so i thought..

from 3rd to 4th the maxima is slowly pulling me, we both slam 4th and he is now pulling harder.. our doors are even now, we top out 4th gear and go into 5th and my doors are even with his rear tires and thats when i see the sticker.. "got boost", then he sticks his hand out the window and waves by.. damn beat by a 4 door family car.. we pull over at the gas station and sure enough he is supercharged, with a intercooler, injen intake, greddy exhaust, lightened flywheel, act stage 3 clutch..

we both agreed that if he had only been supercharged with the flywheel or full exhaust i would have slowly pulled him every gear..but still my ego for american muscle is now brused not to bad tho.. it was a good run and i jumped them both off the line, gotta love rear wheel drive.. even told the guy with the maxima that he should turbo cuz not only will it make more top end power, it will also reduce wheels spin off the line. since maxima's are fwd.. had it have been hotter and clear sky's the roads would be way hotter and thus id have a little more power hookng up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with less wheel spin..

but now i want to mod the stang more, but all i have left to mod is boosting, cams, i have all the bolt ons already and a minor tune so i can get a few more ponies out of the bolt on's.. just sucks ive hit the point where getting more power means some serious money to be spent..

Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

Nos !!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Reduce weight. Gut the interior, spare tire, jack, power anything, A/C, radio, heater core. It would not be pretty but it would work. It would also improve cornering and braking and mileage.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #4

oh i know about gutting it, but untill i get another thing to drive weither its a truck or a bike im not going to gut it..

ive already got a camber kit for when i do lower it, but man once i get something else to drive i am going to gut it and pull the ac.. prolly keep the radio.. not willing to boost right now..

and no to nos, its a cheap dirty way of making power

Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

Did you say cheap? Isn`t that the chinariders motto

Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #6

it might be the motto, but im against nos..

Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #7

I was sorta kidding about gutting it. I was thinking Chinariders. It's free and improves all aspects of performance. Looks like crap though.

Paxton? NOS?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

I consider that Synthetic power, Although that Maxima can pull hard with all of the "extras" the smaller motor will blow sooner. Fart cars may be slick for the moment. But they are massive money pits.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
I consider that Synthetic power, Although that Maxima can pull hard with all of the "extras" the smaller motor will blow sooner. Fart cars may be slick for the moment. But they are massive money pits.
if the maxima had a tune done by a tuner who knows what they are doing, then that motor will last a long time.. nissan motors are damn good motors.. unless its the gtr, well the motor is good but the transmission is crap.. if you ever own one do not switch the vcd off to use launch control.. if you do and the center diff blows up and you file a warranty claim.. nissan will send a few suits out to your place or to the nissan dealership to plug a little computor into the car to tell them if the vcd has ever been switched off. if it has then you are sol on getting it fixed for free and out of pocket the bill is around 20 grand.. 18k for parts and 2k for labor..

fastdoc

people under estimate what gutting a car can do.. when i gutted my acura i shaved 435 pounds off the weight of the car.. also a lightened flywheel translates roughly into this 1lb = 25pds off the car..

so if a stock acura flywheel was 20pds and you installed a 16pd flywheel it would be like shaving 100pds off the weight of the car in terms of acceleration.. but you also get the quicker revs from the flywheel..

i am going to be gutting this stang at some point, just as much as i love a stiff suspension and a loud car.. sometimes it gets annoying in traffic.. also stangs suck in the rain, the rear end is already so lite as it is.. so i might gut it and leave my system in just push it more into the trunk to not only hide from prying eyes in parking lots when its gutted but to also keep some weight over/behind the rear axle

Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #10

Not sure what bolt-ons you have now, or what motor you're running. Have you installed a GT40 intake? How about underdrive pulleys?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #11

03 gt with the stock 4.6 2v v8

not going to underdrive it, just makes everything else work harder, and i have no need for the gt40 intake or any other intake as the gains would be tiny since i dont have the "cams" to get full use out of it.. but should i decide to cam or boost the motor a new intake manifold and ported throttle body is on my list.

better suspension would give me better hook up off the line and right after shifting.. might look into vortechs new superchargers.. they are self lubed so no need to drill the oil pan, they also have a dip stick, and a steel braided drain line so you can change the oil in them every other motor oil change. then agian i want charger whine, and roots style or they are also called twin screw blowers are about the only ones that have that look at me whine when you step on it..

blower - $3000 if im lucky
getting it tuned $500 - $800
supporting mods $1000 - $2000

could very easly top the 5 grand mark for a good reliable name brand parts blower build not including blower cams.. im sure i could talk myself into again.. but then again that 5grand is a decent down payment on a 2010 gt or 2011 305hp v6.. i like to be different and since ford redid the v6, the v6 is no longer the laughing stock of the mustang and american muscle car world..

i know maxima's are pretty fast in stock form and this guy would be really smoked me but he had really bad wheel spin and from what i could hear of his motor and exhaust.. he was not working throttle or clutch to reduce wheel spin.. he was pedal down the whole time...

what i have done that i can recall right now

k&n cold air intake
mac long tube headers
mac cat back with mufflers removed and the pipes dumped at mufflers
mgw orange handled shifter *a must for any mustang or muscle car*
aluminum drive shaft
custom X pipe
act stage 2 clutch
screamin demon ignition system
live wire plug wires to handle the ignition system
sct sf3 hand held tuner

i would post pictures of my car, but i dont do that anymore.. to easy for some one to figure out where a person lives and seeing as my car is out in the drive way and not in a locked garage. i just dont post pictures of the stang.. would hate to have to put a extra hole in some ones head for breaking into and or trying to steal it..(i live in tx, your car is a extension of your house)

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #12

i think i read in a hot rod magazine one time that 40lbs shaved from a car is like adding 10 horsepower. the back seats would probably be good for that . just a thought

Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
i think i read in a hot rod magazine one time that 40lbs shaved from a car is like adding 10 horsepower. the back seats would probably be good for that . just a thought
I did clean out about 40lbs of dirt, mulch, trash from the back of the ranger.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #14

i doubt 40lbs = 10hp

dont look at shaving weight as adding power.. if anything its freeing up power.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #15

Correct. Not adding power just helping the power to weight ratio.

My truck weighs in at 2900lbs with me in it. I think it has a 90hp engine.

2900/90=32lbs per hp. There is not much to my truck. No airbags, very little interior. Stock wheels and tires. Not much that could be removed for weight loss.

Your car by my estimates.
3500/300=11.7lbs per hp. That is a big difference.