Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #1

Greasing the swingarm and the speedo cable?

Hi there, as per the prep for ds bikes, I have a couple questions...

How much grease should I put in the swing arm, just wait till I see it come out somewhere?

And question 2, I dont know what Im supposed to grease on the front hub for the speedo cable, can someone maybe post a picture please?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #2

The speedo cable just unscrew it from the top and spray alot of good lube in there.
Don't know about the zert. Mine is so loose I can't get anything to hook onto it to get any lube in it. :x

Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #3

Oh.. ok, I was confused at the part from the prep guide that says:

"Lube seal on front hub The odomeeter housing on the front hub has a rubber seal. Lubricate with a thin layer of grease to prevent tearing."

I guess that is the same thing we're talking about?

And what is a zert?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #4

I think we're talking about 2 different things. I put some thick lube around my odo housing (on the wheel) and shot some thinner lube down the cable because they come way too dry.

Zert=Nipple

Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #5

Ok, yeah I can find the top of the cable to spray something down there, but the part I am confused about is what part of the odometer housing on the wheel needs grease?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
Savage, what brand did you spray down the speedo cable? One website we visited recommended pulling the cable out & coating it with regular molybdenum (sp?) grease, costs a little more than regular grease, but still widely available. I went through a phase where that was all I'd run through my grease gun... :wink:

Jim, I think he meant "Zerk" which is a brand name for a grease fitting. Fatboy posted something about giving it about 12 (?) pumps until grease came out at the sides. I don't think you can make a mistake about having too much grease on the swingarm; any excess will work out with time. Someone feel free to correct me, I grew up greasing combines/tractors where you pump it until it comes out.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #7

Alright thanks for the tip, will do that... I know that theres a few things on the trucks I'm not supposed to put too much grease in.

Now the only thing I'm still fuzy on is what it said in the prep guide... the part I quoted,

Quote:
Lube seal on front hub The odomeeter housing on the front hub has a rubber seal. Lubricate with a thin layer of grease to prevent tearing.
I looked all around the front wheel, (the right side there where that cable comes down) and saw no rubber seal or anything I could grease... this is the part that is confusing me.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
When we assembled the bike, the odometer cable connection was in a rubber hub (on the Viva, it was already greased, but the spring inside was screwed up, we just straightened it out and pressed it back against the edges). I'm guessing that on some bikes this isn't greased inside the rubber hub, so you would have to disassemble the front axle to get grease inside there.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #9

When I was installing the front wheel, I noticed the seal where the axle spacer went into the hub was dry. That's the seal I would grease. Also, inside the speedometer housing looked greased but it didn't have much in it. I haven't greased anything on my bike yet. This was my long week at work. This week I'm only working Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday. I should have plenty of time to get the final prep stuff done on my Jialing Viva this week. I still need the 6mm angled zerk fitting. Spraying grease into the speedo cable and the end is also a good idea.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 04-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #10

Ahh ok, so it's not something I would be seeing post-assembly... That solves the confusion here, I didnt assemble mine it came from a dealer, so I wasn't sure what seal was being talked about, thanks so much everyone, not only all of you who helped with the questions I had here, you especially, but also everyone on the site... great resource, thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #11

07 roketa db-05 cant find any zerks to grease swingarm thanks in advance for any help

Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #12

Like freek, I have no Zert,Zerk or nipple on my swing arm for greasing. I'd like to pull the swing arm bolt and grease, Does anyone know how I'd go about pulling the bolt, safely, properly? Anything tricky? And any suggestions on what type of grease? :? Thanks in advance. New.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #13

Mine has a zerk but it's pretty worthless. My gun doesn't jive with it so no grease goes in. It's very loose so it may have vibrated out by now.
Look on the top of your swingarm and look for a hole, maybe yours fell out.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 AM   #14

Nope no hole nada. Smooth cylinder, I'd take a pic but it's just a tube with big bolt through it.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #15

N2R, I would find a bolt or rod the same size, or slightly smaller, and at least 1/2 the length. Use a grinder so the the pusher contacts the S.A.B. in the center, avoiding contact with the threads

Put the bike on a crate, with the rear wheel gently touching the ground. Undo the nut and use the rod to back the S.A.B. out about 1/2 way. Be careful not to damage the threads! If it does not move fairly easily, STOP, time to think a bit about having a replacement handy; stuck S.A.B's sometimes can be a real bear to get out, you might want to wait until you have a replacement.

Got it 1/2 out? Study the "empty side". Does the S.A. still align with the frame? If not, do what yo have to do to shim it into position. This will help you not damage threads later.

Coat the side sticking out liberally with Moly axle grease, then fill the empty swingarm pivot as well. Plug the open end with a thumb and tap the axle back in. Install the nut, and clean up!