Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Scooter noise

Sure is quiet over here.
noticed on Craigslist someone was looking for a Ruckus preferably with a GY6 conversion.
Somebody explain this as I am caught off gaurd by someone prefering the chinese power plant over the japanese. Is the Ruckus only avail with a small motor or what. Apearantly the aftermarket performance parts are plentiful.

dont hear much about performance scooters on hear. How about some discussion and education?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #2

The ruckus only comes in a 50cc and 250cc. The 250 is pretty much a helix without the bodywork.

So anyone wanting more the 50cc, but in a smaller frame would need to go to the aftermarket or swap a china powerplant.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Is the Ruckus the naked scooter I see all the time with 2 headlights?
Are they always naked?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #4

if you watch that show rob and big on mtv, they bought to rukus scooters to ride around and the blacked out everything on them.. it also appears every now and again in the show fantasy factory

Old 08-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

I havent looked at one up close but they appear to be kinda cool. I would not mind trying a scooter out sometime. Looks like a good grocery machine.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #6

http://www.gomotorscooter.com/i-really-like-the-ruckus/

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

A friend of mine is a freak for anything on two wheels (TurboT knows who I'm talking about). He's got a BW (Zuma to Americans) that will be used for a big bore scooter racing class, an Aprilia 50 that is styled like the Aprilia sportbikes, a 150 Aprilia Mojito (similar to the classic Vespa scooter) and a 600 Honda Silver Wing. They're all great machines, and they're very functional. When he rides his Aprilia, he can bring home groceries. By contrast, the R6 he used to have didn't have space for more than a pair of gloves.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

In many places a 50cc moped/scooter is operable by 14 year olds, may or may not need licensing, and insurance is cheap. They are not bad to hammer around city streets in 30mph situations, park as a bicycle (free), and use very little fuel.

Hence the demand.

The main competitors (traditionally) for the 50cc scooter market are Honda and Yamaha. Honda building 4 strokes, and Yamaha building 2 strokes, the Honda is a "slug" compared to the 2 stroke Yamaha.

I am not saying that there are not others in the traditional category, but it seems that wherever you go in N. America, there is either a Honda, or Yamaha dealer, with parts "at hand". Suzuki makes scooters, but have been poor at the after sales service, and are hasty in discontinuing parts. I have not seen a Kawasaki scooter in the N American market. The Europeans make scooters too, but dealers are few, and far between, and they are pricey.

Enter the Chinese, who build literally millions of 50cc scooters, starting with 2 strokers (cheap to engineer and build), and now primarily 4 stroke machines (for export to meet pollution requirements).

Whatever scooter you own, for whatever reason, there are hop-up parts available, because, well, we can always go a bit faster?

My fat a55 (225 lbs) on a tuned Yamaha (50cc) scooter sees 50mph regularly. I say "regularly" because it takes a bit of work to keep a 50cc 2 stroke engine running "spot on". On a tuned 50cc 4 cycle scooter, one would consider oneself lucky to see 35mph regularly, hence the idea to "drop-in" a 150cc GY6 motor.

Dropping in a GY6 motor will give your 50cc scooter 50+mph capability day in, day out, while retaining the benefits of a 50cc moped/scooter. BUT: make no mistake, you will be required to do some fabrication, buy parts you do not own, and sort out the wiring. I have a swap here, ready to go, and am not "hot" to fix something that is not broken.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Mr. Reveeen, I sure hope that you photo-document the GY6 swap. I'll be watching for that.

Did you ever find a good gear source for converting the gearbox to scooter ratios?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #10

I have purchased a Honda Express (or NC50) (a pair of them out of a barn with titles) for the swap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Express

GY6 gearbox gears (and the ratios) here:

http://www.partsforscooters.com/Vehi...e-Transmission

Item #7 http://www.partsforscooters.com/Gear...9&category=359
($60)

The "trouble" being......I can't get a straight answer out of anybody about the gearing of a *stock* 150cc scooter (very likely they don't know and are just selling on whatever they can buy). We both know the ratios in my buggy motor aren't "right", but this appears to be an assemble, try, and make my best guess after I see what I have......real honest to goodness seat of the pants engineering!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #11

Have you tried to reverse-engineer the ratio, factoring in the scooter rear wheel diameter? Perhaps you could use that info to create a cruising speed at a specific rpm.

You'd probably do a better job than the original manufacturers.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

It's all a bit of a "Magical Mystery Tour".....I was hoping to use a "known existing" as a baseline....eg: 8hp, 12000rpm, 13" tire/wheel combo, specific gear ratio, and weight to compare to what I am running and guess at a "good" ratio......without a baseline my variables are unknown, specifically the torque converter ratio and total weight, so I am afraid it will be assemble, try, then order best guess......which is what it will come down to anyway.