Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Lifan Update

Howdy ya'all! First and foremost I apologise for not hanging out and posting more often. This time of year is crazy busy for me. Like you care, get to the bike right? lol 8)

Anywho, I've turned just shy of 11,000KM on my Lifan I got a few years back. It hasn't given me too much trouble thus far: I had a screw head pop off in the turn signal assembly which was causing it to eat main fuses, I've had to replace a rear tire - which wasn't surprising since I ride *mostly* on-road, and about 20 minutes ago while driving in the city my clutch cable snapped (dispite religious lubing). It broke at the head thinging that fits in the handle. Good times downtown shifting w/o a clutch. More of an art than a science really, but I'm bad at it so wifey is picking me up in the truck this afternoon.

It still rides great, everything is still tight (as the official bike prep thread was followed as closely as possible). I need to adjust the valves; which I plan to do when I replace the clutch cable. I've got new pads for the front brakes which I'm replacing - needed or not. Other than that I'm just going to say that this bike I bought for ~ $1200 shipped to my door has been more reliable than any other bike I've had. Some of the welds on the frame scare me to look at sometimes, but they haven't cracked yet. The engine doesn't rattle the fillings out of my teeth and just last week I rode over 60 miles @ WOT. Top speed with me and child #3 65 MPH. Not bad at all. I forsee in the near future: New chain, new rear spocket (stock teeth), new rear sprocket (+3 maybe +4 teeth, for the trails), and a new front tire.

I did lay it over once (not counting tooling around in the sand). After a super nasty wind storm there was a layer of super-fine baby powder dust in our parking garage at work. It was early in the morning and I was wearing sunglasses and didn't notice it until I turned and all the sudden cement turned to ice in a blink of an eye. Thank goodness I wasn't going fast, but even so the proper safety equipment saved me from a slide burn on my leg and arm. Wifey tossed my glove before I could post a pic, but going less than 10 MPH it ate my leather glove and no doubt saved me the pain of not having an skin on the palm. And that was a very minor lay over.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on the bike. I read the parts thread, but off the top of anyone's head, is there a close match I could get from "the big 3" for my clutch cable? I don't want to wait on a part from the internet. Thanks again ya'all!

Daddy 8)

Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Glad your bike is working well for you!

As for the clutch cable, some people have had sucsess with a plastic straw and some JB Weld to make a new slug at the clutch lever end of the cable. Someone on here posted photos you might find with some searching.

When you get alot of miles on chains and sprockets, it is a good idea to change all the sprockets and chain at the same time.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Look at www.bikebandit.com at something like an older XR200. Compare the cable for that bike to yours, it's mostly the end connectors that matter. If it looks right you're good to go. Maybe do the JB trick on the old cable to have as a spare.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #4

Found it.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ighlight=straw

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Hmm, That is a great idea! I think it is worth a shot for certain. JB Weld is some serious stuff. In the Army (a million years ago) we used it to fix a crack in a block of a 6.2L hummer engine. Held for as long as it had to! Thanks for the suggestions!
Daddy 8)

Old 07-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the update, Daddy! I am very glad your Lifan is doing so well for you. I am also glad you wear protective gear while riding, and saved yourself from injury!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #7

So to hijack my own thread...
I did the JB weld thing and it looks tougher than the factory dohicky. Poped right in no problem. Now the issue I have is I'm about 1/2 inch short of the 'clutch out' position. I have that barrel connector reduced as much as possible giving me as much slack as possible, but is there some other trick I'm missing? Even if I did manage to get the cable end in I would have a super sexy Lifan that can shift easily through all 5, but not much fun around town. Anywho, all suggestions are welcome

Daddy 8)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #8

You should have adjustment room at the other end of the cable down on the right side engine case.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #9

Pictures are worth a thousand words
This first photo I took this morning shows the adjuster maxed out at length. There is no more slack.

This pic shows the distance I need. If I broke out the vice grips I could make it connect, but then I would have an always on clutch :?

Daddy 8)

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #10

I think you may be out of luck here. You will need a new cable I think.

One thing you can try would be to carefully cut off about 3/4 inch of casing at either end without touching the inner cable. A Dremel and a cut off wheel and a steady hand would work.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #11

Yep, I dont see how to make it work either. Did the cable break at the old lug or a little farther down the cable?

EDIT TO ADD: Just re-read Doc's post and I think he is on to a solution.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #12

Okies, so it is finished! I removed about 3/4 of an inch of cable. I used a dremel and once again patience paid off. I didn't nich the cable at all which I found shocking. I took some fairly decent pictures of the process.

Here is the first cut through the silver cap at the end:

Next are the discrete pieces that make up the cable:

Inner sheath, last component of the cable:

Finished product (I forgot to take a photo of the beveling I did to make that cap fit PERFECTLY on the cable):

Finished product (not installed):

Broken Lug thingy:

So now I have a 'better than new cable' for the total cost of $6 for the JB Weld. I have plenty of room to adjust it now in my estimate at least 1/2 inch. During the process I figured out that you can get about 1/3 of an inch safely by moving the clutch handle assembly (your mileage may vary). This was nice because if I had needed it it would have been there - and it is a great 'future reference' tool.

The clutch is smooth as glass and I drove the bike to work today. Sweeeeeeet

Daddy 8)

Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

Im glad Doc figured out how to salvage your work. Looks like you did a great job too!

And if you ever find a need for the extra JB Weld, you cost will be cut in half!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

R O F L !

I forgot I did this to my clutch cable and it broke again yesterday. Time to get a new one

daddy 8)

Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #15

Does this mean you feel better about your bike now? I sure hope you can get some quality time with it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer