Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #1

I Think something is missing on my used ATV I just bought

I just bought this ATV and after getting it home I noticed there might be some problems:

I really don't know much mechanically speaking about ATVs but this just does not look right.

Wide View

Closer

I put a piece of paper behind it so you can see, it appears that this hose was cut off, I have no idea what it is or for:

Next this hose that connects to the exhaust seems to me missing a hose

Wide view

Closer - Comes from the exhaust to this item

As you can see there is a place for a hose to come out of this item but no hose? Not sure if its been removed or never existed

Old 06-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #2

HOSE..

THIS IS JUST an inlet hose for the motor to draw air in for cooling.. noithing to worry about... RIDE , RIDE , RIDE

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

This hose is exactly like ours, and ours has nothing connected to it either. As FLASHLIGHTBOY says, it's for airflow.

The other device is a pollution control device; it doesn't appear that anything else should be connected to it. Does it run ok?

I see that your exhaust pipe has a catalytic converter in it. I think that my first order of business would be to remove the cat and the pollution control devices. BTW, your engine is a GY6 Honda clone, first made popular in the Honda Elite scooters in the eighties.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

It seems to run fine, although I think I will be cleaning my carb soon.

We are taking them out to the Sand Dunes today to test them out fully.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Awesome! I rode the dunes in Florence, OR, and it was a blast.

Make sure that your filter is properly oiled before riding in the sand.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

I need to oil the filter?

Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #7

THIS IS JUST an inlet hose for the motor to draw air in for cooling

Actually it is an outlet......keeps the carb cool in summer, and warm in winter.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david805
I need to oil the filter?
Yep. You most likely have an airbox with a foam filter inside, perhaps even two foam filters. If you have two, the coarse one is a pre-filter to catch large debris before reaching the fine filter. I use Maxima filter oil aerosol; it's blue so you can easily see where the filter has been covered (don't use too much). You can get Maxima at local bike shops.

You can choose to throw out the Chinese foam and buy some bulk FMF filter material and cut it to fit. You can also toss out the stock airbox and use a Uni pod filter. In any case, it must be oiled.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #9

I have also clean filter and also change engine oil after few months. I have noticed that It is necessary to remove the spark plug after filling the oil. I wish that Yo will change the filter oil as soon as far.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #10

Ok this is strange both my daughters and sons ATVs do not have filters. I opened the front (filter area) and found:

One (the BMS Coolster 150cc) has nothing, the hose is just wide open in the box. Any sand, dirt, whatever can get in there and thus into the engine.

And the other (the Hensum 125cc) has a screen and a 1/8 inch thick green foam thingy covering the box, but no actual filter connected to the hose in the box.

The hose in the box has a 2 inch opening and the box seems pretty small, is there a after market or easy to find filter I can get for both?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #11

I would suggest getting UNI type filters for both. Allen

Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by david805
Ok this is strange both my daughters and sons ATVs do not have filters. I opened the front (filter area) and found:

One (the BMS Coolster 150cc) has nothing, the hose is just wide open in the box. Any sand, dirt, whatever can get in there and thus into the engine.

And the other (the Hensum 125cc) has a screen and a 1/8 inch thick green foam thingy covering the box, but no actual filter connected to the hose in the box.

The hose in the box has a 2 inch opening and the box seems pretty small, is there a after market or easy to find filter I can get for both?
Got pics? It would be easier to offer guidance if we could see what you have. The 125 has a screen (presumably metal) to guard against backfire combustion. If it's possible to use the stock airbox and screen, that's the safest bet. That said, I use Uni pods.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #13

Here is my daughters BMS Coolster 150cc Air filter (or lack there of) area:

And my sons Hensum 125cc Air Filter Area:

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #14

Thanks for the pics. We have the same cover in the front area of our quads, but ours don't house filters. I always thought that area was reserved for tool storage or something similar.

Your son's filter is a good setup, although I'd buy bulk FMF filter material and cut it to fit. You could likely use a Uni pod on either quad, because you could mount it to the tube that carries air from the stock filter location. You could cut out a larger hole in the bodywork to accomodate the Uni.

Either way, don't forget the oil.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #15

I bought some Cut-n-fit Air Filter material from Walmart. It's about 1/2 inch thick; how many layers should I use? And should I oil one or more layers?