Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Won't Run when warm :(

I need help from anyone with a V4SW or something with the same 250cc water cooled engine/carb.
Last season my nearly new V4SW from vbike wouldn't downshift at all. After weeks of searching the internet for people with the same issues I was kind of forced to do some exploratory surgery by removing the engine and finding out what went wrong.

The good news is, I fixed the shifting problem, turns out the shifting bracket was bent. Bad news is, I was only able to take 5 or so pictures before I tore the engine out of the ATV and well I'm no camera man.

I'm hoping that anyone with a carb or an engine like this could go and take some snapshots of the electrical wiring (specifically the gounding wires) the carb (specifically the clutch cable and how it connects) and where the hoses all fit (The hoses I'm pretty sure I got down, but better safe than sorry.) This will help me immensely to get this thing back up and running.

I've attached the pictures I do have and plan on writing up a whole 'how to fix this' once I actually get it running Thanks again!

P.S. the battery is charged, the lights all come on but when I try to get it to turn of all I get is a click, so it seems I've wired something up wrong.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #2

I don't have a machine like yours, so I'm no direct help. That said, your engine certainly appears to be a liquid cooled Honda clone. Perhaps that'll expand your search criteria online.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

That little tid bit of info did help, found that I had a ground wire hooked up incorrectly, luckily I didn't toast me starter!

Now that I got the thing running I've run into another problem, lol seems that the carb/throttle is stuck at wide open. The gas lever operates fine (it's got a little catch about mid throttle but nothign serious) but it has no eefect of anything. Going to start reading other carb posts but if someone happens to know what I did wrong heh I'd be glad to read it here too.

Air leak in carb boot??? whats a carb boot?

PS thanks everyone for help, this is a great community of people!!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

It looks like you have a typical round slide Mikuni style carb, so I'd guess that the slider is in backwards. Carefully unscrew the top cap, remove the slider and examine it. It will have a groove on one side that runs the entire length of the slider and a short groove at the bottom of the other side. The short groove is actually a ramp that engages the idle screw, which means that as you tighten the idle screw, you're pushing the slider up, just as if you twisted the throttle a bit.

The side with the long groove engages a pin inside the carb bore that keeps the slider inline. You won't lose anything when you pull the slider out, and the carb calbe will still be attached. Take care when screwing the cap back on so as to not damage the threads. Don't use any tools.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #5

Weldangrind you are close becoming my personal hero. Did as you said, sure enough I had it backwards, started 'er up and whamo nice smooth throttle control.

I ran it for a few minutes and it started dying on me. Couldn't get it to start warm unless I had the choke out all the way, ran for a few minutes like than and now it won't start at all. Is it safe to assume that I let the gas sit a little too long and I'm going to have to clean out the lines and get some new gas, or is this a sign of something else I have on backwards?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #6

It may sound silly and I don't mean to offend, but double check your fuel level... If it was running fine then started to stall you might be almost out . Done it myself as have a few other forum members.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #7

went and checked to make sure the fuel was in the tank and reaching the carb, it is. It's been sitting for about an hour, went to start it and it fired right up again, but the minute it starts getting warm I have to start using the choke and it's only a matter of time before it won't run at all. Weird. Thanks for the help though MIC, lol for a minute there I thought you had it!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthalis
went and checked to make sure the fuel was in the tank and reaching the carb, it is. It's been sitting for about an hour, went to start it and it fired right up again, but the minute it starts getting warm I have to start using the choke and it's only a matter of time before it won't run at all. Weird. Thanks for the help though MIC, lol for a minute there I thought you had it!
Sorry, thought it might have been the problem. Did it myself on my Beast once, when I shook it there sounded to be lots but it turned out that it was almost empty.

Funny that it starts fine then dies as it warms up... If it wasn't for the choke thing I would say maybe your plug or CDI is going south. I think I will leave this one to better troubleshooters than me, I'm sure someone here will be able to help you pinpoint the problem. I wish you the best of luck with it

Cheers,
Stew

Old 05-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #9

8O :o 8) it's alive!!!! yay!

After a change of gas and some carb cleaner she's running right as rain.

Thank you everyone for the help an advice! Woot I'm too ecstatic for words lol this poor ATV has been sidelined for months and it's just great that thanks to the help I've gotten from this an other posts a guy like me with 0 experience in small engines can tear one apart and put it back together again. Cheers to ALL OF YOU for my qaud running again. lol I owe you all a 6-pack!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #10

Gotta love a happy ending... Congratulations on fixing your quad

Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #11

I'm gonna enjoy that virtual six pack tonight.

Cheers!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'm gonna enjoy that virtual six pack tonight.

Cheers!
Can I too since I also knew what was wrong with your carb, just got beaten to the answer by Sensei W&G?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #13

If you get a chance we'd love to see some pics of your quad, if it's the one in your avatar it looks like a cool machine!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #14

Congratulations on getting your engine running! The guys here in the ATV forum are very knowledgeable, and very helpful.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #15

as per your request, this would be the V-bike V4SW, discontinued.

I think this might have been the best $1200 I've ever spent

It's got 1.5" spacers on the back wheels. One came loose and snapped the bolt, but it was easy to replace and applied locktite the second time around to all of them

[/img]