Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

Gears Slipping

After a real good ride on backroads and single track today I got hung up a few times and went thru some big waterholes mudpits ect..
Now when I give er' a good haul on the gas the gears slip out of gear.. when I ease off the gas the gears hold.. Happens to all the gears.. Easy on the gas up to about 1/2 throttle gears hold and when you goose it the gears slip out..

any Ideas??

Old 03-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #2

When you say "gears slip out" do you mean the transmission goes to neutral? Thats a sign of bent shift forks in the tranny, or maybe a problem with the star gear on the end of the shift shaft.

If you mean the clutch is slipping, and the bike is staying in gear, thats different, worn or out of adjustment clutch.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

when you rev it up high the engine feels and sounds like its in neutral... and when you back off a bit the transmission engages again..
my clutch has always been very sensitive where I just have to pull it in ever so slightly to engage the clutch...

Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
sounds like you need to adjust the clutch.. probably is slipping.. does it ever give off a funny smell?

if so, thats your clutch burning up.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #5

thanks.. I've backed off the clutch adjustment and noticed the clutch arm on the engine backed off some then stopped(Fully disengaged?).. I have about 1/2" play on clutch lever before clutch arm on engine moves and I'm gonna test it out when I get back from work in a couple days.. I was only home for a few hours today and spent the bulk of it in the dirt and mud having a blast. I'll take some pictures next time I'm out on the single track trails. I ran into a couple real tight spots and some good steep muddy trails with the bike performing better than I expected even with stock tires.. I ran into a guy on his new KTM 450 with a real good nobby DOT front tire and pure dirt rear, he suggested maybe trials bike tires DOT approved.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Yep, sounds asif the clutch was adjusted too tight. Need to have a bit of free-play.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 03-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #7

I got home yesterday and today the weather finally has co-operated, the torrential downpour has stopped. I went out for a test ride today, eveything works fine again and test ride turned into a three hour ride. However is it just mine or man do these stock chains stretch way more then most. I've never had a bike that I've had to tighten the chain twice a ride every ride. I'm tightned back to the third last mark now.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #8

i stopped tigtening mine along time ago. i just figured that's where is wanted to be then so be it. so far so good. just keep it lubed up real nice and it should be ok. i only tighten mine every 2 weeks now and when i do i barley even adjust it.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
The chains need about 1.5 to 2" of play.
That is a lot more than most of the other bikes that I have ever owned.
If you do that then you won't have to adjust very much as FMYStreetRacer stated.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #10

I've been setting it to 1.5-2" of play riderless. After about an hour its upto 5" of slack from bottom of play to top. This has happened almost every real rough ride and I'm having to tighten a full turn on both nuts."Insert pun"
As long as I stick to the roads, keep both tires on the ground most of the time and don't hit the cross ditches as fast/hard as I'd like it seems OK.
I keep thinking something must be happening and the wheel is moving forwards or something else is going on, that a chain can't be stretching this much. A couple good bumps ( ok I confess.....I jump it. A couple feet in the air regularly and it only takes once or twice and I can hear the rattle, hear that the chain's loose.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #11

after you tighten the axle nut do you tighten the adjuster nuts down as well?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #12

Mine doesn't get near as loose since I put on nylon locknuts and used the stock nuts to double nut them.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i've bee noticing that if i put my bike on the stand, let it idle with the back tire off the ground and wipe the chain clean, then apply chain lube after every ride, it hardly ever gets out of adjustment, in 400km's i've adjusted it one time, keeps the 1" of slack that i left in it riderless.

What ever happened with the clutch? did you resolve the gear problem?

I think i've adjusted my clutch more then i've adjusted my chain (i've been pretty hard on the bike doing wheelies and such here and there)

Also, i've also resolved my chain slider problem:

the chain slider was wearing through the rubber, and i didn't think it was going to stop. I kept on putting miles on the bike and noticed that after a certain point, the slider kinda got a groove in it that the chain literally "rides" in. So i don't think i will be changing it any time soon, i will see how it holds up over the next 500km and update that again.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
after you tighten the axle nut do you tighten the adjuster nuts down as well?
That's one thing I haven't been doing. I will try that and see if it helps. My last ride, last sunday, went well and the chain only slacked a bit with me riding faster/Harder hitting the cross ditches harder and getting more air than I usally do. One thing though the bike bottoms out real easy and I'm only 185Lbs and I'm wondering if this will become an issue ( possibly cause damage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
What ever happened with the clutch? did you resolve the gear problem?
Adjusting the clutch solved the gear slipping problem. I think when I high centered the bike on a log, when I wacked the right side against a tree in a tight spot ( man that hurt my Knee) I may have knocked the clutch out of adjustment or maybe the cable had stretched with lots of use ( I"ve always had a habit of using the clutch to control speed and to keep the revs up)
Side note:
I hit the 600km on the bike last ride as well and I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #15

Hey you guys say here the chain needs 1.5-2inches of slack... I just adjusted mine yesterday cause it had about 2 inches (riderless), I did it according to the manual, which says to stand the bike on the center stand (which it doesnt have) and check the slack. It says it should be 10-20mm (where as an inch is 2.5 cm, a cm is = to 10mm. So according to my manual, the slack should be much less then you are suggestion... Maybe were just talking different bikes here, mine is a lifan lf200 gy 5... Or should I not be putting too much faith into that manual?