Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #1

200cc Gio Beast Winter=Death????

why is it no matter how hard i try this atv will not start when its cold ... all summer long when its hot it works like a charm takes a beatin and keeps going.. however as soon as its cold this atv will not do anything but sit there lookin good but i never got it to look nice sitin there lmao..

i have tryed 2 bats and nottin i have tryed boosting a bat why tryin to start nottin it just aint happenin lmao anyone eles have this prob with there beast ? or does mine just hate winter lmao..

cant speck for the rest of you but im diein to whip around on this in the snow any help would be great thanks..... :P

Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #2

How cold is it where you live? Have you tried removing the batteries and keeping them inside a warmer spot, and installing when you want to ride?

You could have choke and jetting issues as well in extremely cold weather.

We rode ours in the snow today, and it was a hoot.. but it was by no means 'cold' by Canadian standards, as it was just above freezing. (Vancouver area)

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #3

hmmm not sure as to how cold it has been here in the niagara area but its been snowin for like 5 days with no stopin lol was thinkin it be fun to ride the atv it just aint happenin :(

Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #4

so just and update its like -4 i dont no if that is to cold or not :( new to this hole avt thing... and would i be able to change bat inside or that a bad idea ??? ahaha i just want to ride this and mess around in the snow like im sure so many others do anyways once again any help would be great :P

Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #5

You should be able to change and store your battery inside, but I wouldn't recommend charging it inside.

Is the motor turning over strongly with the battery or does it weaken fast? You could have cold battery issues but there may be something else causing the issue as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

If the engine turns over fine then I would suggest looking at the carb settings. Most of these engines come from the factory pretty lean. You may need to richen it up to get easier cold starts.

Make sure the choke works also.

Also when I needed to start cold tractors and small engines in MN I would take one of the 500 watt halogen work lights and put it close the the bottom end and also warm the carb up. This usually worked. Leave it there for an hour or so. Same idea as plugging your car in at night.

Allen

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7

Heat on the motor will definitely help.
Mine starts in the cold, but it can take a while, and there is a bit of a technique. You MUST make sure the choke is closed all the way, or it will never start in the cold.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #8

Yeah, i'm having some problems in the cold too, i have the mikuni carb, uni filter and monster exhaust on my beast, i have brought the main jet up 4 sizes to a 110 and my new pilot jet will be picked up today, i will let you know if it starts better after the pilot change, i got a 22.5 and a 25 pilot.

I find if i remove the air filter and totally cover the carb with my hand it will then draw enough fuel to start it, if i just use the choke it will not, if it doesn't start any better with the bigger pilot jet then i will also solder that hole in the choke butterfly shut so it can draw more fuel at full choke.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

waynev, are you using the choke cable or the choke lever as shipped with the Mikuni?

Also, wouldn't soldering the hole closed cut off air completely?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Yes i'm using the stock beast choke cable on the mikuni carb, some people said it didn't work on the mikuni but i took a pc of the stock carb and bolted it to the mikuni and the stock cable worked just fine.

The engine will still suck air, when cold the engine needs much more fuel to start it, i can totally cover the carb with my hand and the engine will start and run with the carb totally covered, then i open my fingers a bit while it warms up. Soldering the hole shut will limit the airflow but if you look at the butterfly when it is closed there is still a small air gap around the perimeter. I like the choke setup on my snowmobile carbs, it's works much better than a butterfly choke for cold starts.

If the bigger pilot jet doesn't help than i might look for a 30mm snowmobile carb. How's everyone elses Beast in the cold ?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #11

We weren't really riding in the cold yesterday, although I'm sure it was around 1 degree C. TurboT's quad had a little trouble with the choke cable on the Mikuni, and I suspect that I missed a piece when I installed it. The lever (on the carb) has a small ball bearing that is intended to locate the choke in a specific position, but it isn't mating with anything. As a result, the lever will slowly move, causing the cable housing to pull from the thumb lever, resulting in a rich mixture and bog condition. I'll take another look at it when we have a maintenance day.

Otherwise, our quads started and warmed up like they usually do. It takes a good five minutes of running before we can ride. Anthony's GY6 mod is looking better all the time.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #12

Ok, changed the pilot jet and now it starts much better, cold air needs more fuel. I went from the stock 20 pilot up two sizes to a 25 and i'm still about 1-3/4 turns out and it runs perfect now, even with full choke it started right up and it's -4c outside right now, no need to use my hand this time.

I also changed the spark plug, that Beast performance exhaust was way too restrictve and i think i was on the rich side and that was after raising the jet needle clip up 3 grooves, the old plug looked bad, black and crusty.

So all in all for me it was 4 main jet sizes bigger and 2 sizes up on the pilot and things are looking much better for me in the cold.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
TurboT's quad had a little trouble with the choke cable on the Mikuni, and I suspect that I missed a piece when I installed it. The lever (on the carb) has a small ball bearing that is intended to locate the choke in a specific position, but it isn't mating with anything. As a result, the lever will slowly move, causing the cable housing to pull from the thumb lever, resulting in a rich mixture and bog condition. I'll take another look at it when we have a maintenance day.
When i did mine i used some of the parts from the old carb to do it, i removed that sliver plate with the 3 holes in that is supposed to use that ball bearing and used the stock spring that forces the choke open when not pulling on the cable, i also used the stock bracket to hold the cable.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #14

Re: 200cc Gio Beast Winter=Death????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadBoy
why is it no matter how hard i try this atv will not start when its cold ... all summer long when its hot it works like a charm takes a beatin and keeps going.. however as soon as its cold this atv will not do anything but sit there lookin good but i never got it to look nice sitin there lmao..

i have tryed 2 bats and nottin i have tryed boosting a bat why tryin to start nottin it just aint happenin lmao anyone eles have this prob with there beast ? or does mine just hate winter lmao..

cant speck for the rest of you but im diein to whip around on this in the snow any help would be great thanks..... :P
I had mine out for a half hour or so a while ago. It was around -15 Celsius, it was kind of a bear to start but I got it going. Luckily I had the battery nice and warm in the basement and it was all topped up. I still managed to kill it trying to start the quad so I had to throw my booster on it. Fired right up after that. Was a hoot doing donuts on the icy roads but I could only ride up to about 8 inches of snow, then it was just spinning and hardly moving. Lol, that's when reverse comes in handy!

I wonder why the chinese quads do take so long to warm up? I have had lots of Japanese bikes and one ATC and I don't recall any of them needing as lengthy a warmup?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #15

Well if it was -15C, and assuming that your quad came properly jetted for 10-20C then that is showing a lean condition, a bear to start, and runs great when warm, only problem is running lean will damage your engine.

Here's a good write up on jetting that i found.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/howtojet.asp

Taken from that article
"Let's start with lean conditions because they can cause the most damage. In a lean condition the engine will surge and sometimes ping under acceleration. The engine will also be "cold-blooded" (hard to start and keep running) but will run better when hot."