Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #1

Thinking of modding my seat.

Took a nice little ride last Sunday, (4 tanks of fuel) and kept thinking of something I could do to the seat.
My bike is a '07 HiBird 250. The seat seams like it forms a "V" drawing my butt to the bottom of the "V" regardless of where I would prefer to sit.
I already did the walmart seat mod, (Thanks Katoranger). It helps but I could use more help. Thinking of finding some foam, maybe closed cell but not sure, and adding a carefull sculptured piece to the bottom of the "V". This would add a little width to the center of the saddle as well as a little more seat hight. The extra hieght is OK cause I'm 6'4" anyway.
At this point I am thinking of just adding the foam to the top uf the seat and putting the WalMart pad back over it. Not really looking to actually re-construct the seat. At least not till I have a shape that I know will be more comfortable.

All tips, wisdom and insight would the greatfully accepted.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #2

If it's like my HSUN was, its like sitting on a Dromedery Camel, between the humps. I did not like that seat shape. I'd bring it to an auto upolsterer and see what he/she could do with it.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

seat padding

I did just that with my klx 300,took it to a lady that does furniture,and she added some padding where it counts and made me a new cover out of marine grade vinyl,turned out nice and much more comfy.but it cost $40.original was like riding a 2x4

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #4

One of the professional upholsterers on a chopper show used an electric carving knife to achieve a desired shape. Maybe you could find some foam with a density you like and start sculpting.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

The electric carving knife is what I am thinking of using on some foam.

Cutting/sculpting a piece and laying it over the stock seat. Putting the WalMart seat pad over this, I could try out some different shapes to see what is most comfortable.

Not sure where I could take my seat to have a pro do it. I am sure there are plenty of places here in the N texas area though.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #6

I'd be interested to know what the Wal-Mart seat pad mod is. Do we have a link that shows / explains it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'd be interested to know what the Wal-Mart seat pad mod is. Do we have a link that shows / explains it?
It's a ATV seat pad that straps on to the seat. Here is a link to a pic of one
on Katorangers bike from his gallery.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=6183

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #8

Found this.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/pics.htm

At first I thought there was only info related to the larger cruiser bikes. Towards the botom of this page he goes into detail the modding of a KLR seat. Much more similar to my seat.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #9

The stearns ATV seat cover available at some walmarts for about $17. If your walmart has the ATV accessories they probably have the covers. Otherwise I have mailed quite a few.

Allen

Old 10-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #10

The Corbin, and Sargeant(?) seats generally try to make the seat wider giving more surface area, so maybe try going that route. The only draw back to that is that it can be harder to reach the ground and less control when jumping, but at your height that shouldn't be an issue.

For me, nothing helps better then saddle time. If I don't ride often, I'll get monkey butt quick, but as long as I ride often my rear adapts. I do a lot of trucking and tree work. My tree boots are extremely stiff and uncomfortable if I don't wear them often, but the more I wear them, the more they break my feet in, not the other way around. My experience with riding is the same. The seat will break your rear in, not your rear will break the seat in. Good luck either way.