Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #1

Performance CDI Upgrade - Gio 110cc Mini Beast.

I decided to do some minor upgrades to my daughters 110 cc Gio Mini Beast... Mainly because I like to tinker with things and also because I thought it 'might' give her a little more oomph without me having to give her more throttle (governor). The Gio site says the CDI increases spark intensity, has a better ignition curve, increases horsepower, acceleration and top speed. While skeptical, I tried anyways. Here is the link to the part.

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...VS-Dirt-Bikes/

I managed to pick it up cheap on the Gio auction site. Always a bargain there.

Now my results might be a bit tainted because I changed the spark plug at the same time I did this. I had left the original in for break in, but since that's over with and I had an NGK in my growing spare parts stash, switched it over at the same time.

Here's how it looks in the box. Note the FOX racing background, not sure why that is?

The installation was very simple. I popped off the seat and found the original CDI box hooked by a rubber contraption to a bracket in the frame. It slides out and the wiring harness disconnects.

The new CDI box just plugs into the existing plug, no re-wiring needed. Very simple!

As you'll notice, the Performance CDI is quite a bit bigger than the original, so getting the plastic booty/mounter thing back on was a bit of a beotch. If I had thought and got some more zap straps it would have been simple just to zip it up to the frame bar under the seat. I did manage to get it on and back to it's happy spot.

Now I have to say, this particular Gio product of mine has been the best runner of the 5 or 6 I've been around (Losing count). It has always idled the best and been trouble free motor wise. That's not to say the others aren't alright, but this one has always been the most stable.

Now, I'll try to keep my enthusiasm to a minimum, but when I started it I could immediately tell it was better. Now again, better spark plug installed as well, but the thing idled stronger, not a lot of missing or farting, just ran extremely well. I touched the throttle and had an immediate response. This one before used to take a bit more throttle to start it moving, but not anymore.

I just had to take it for a test drive. Now I'm sure some of you will realize I'm a bit oversized for this item, and my neighbours must either think I'm a complete dork or be on the phone calling the fuzz because there I am, roaring up and down the street and sidewalks, over to the school ground doing power slides and high speed laps around the gravel soccer field.

I wouldn't say the speed difference was anything overwhelming..like 'Yeah, that was so worth my 20 bucks!" However.. I can feel the difference, it pulls a bit harder, picks up speed faster, and just feels stronger.

I spent a good 20 minutes on it before hastily retreating into my back yard before the RCMP rolled up to wag their fingers at me. It was a fun 20 minutes, and I'm always impressed by how a little 110cc, can put a smile on my face.

So in summary, I think the CDI is a good upgrade for the money spent. It makes the motor run better, and gives it a bit of extra oomph. I definetely noticed the difference in these areas. There was one point, about mid acceleration, where I could notice it pulling and revving better than before. Top speed, I don't know, I personally don't ever want to max that thing out without getting the engine balanced, and that's not going to happen.

Next Mod Up will be the performance exhaust and I have high hopes for that. Just have to win a bloody auction on one.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #2

Quote:
I just had to take it for a test drive. Now I'm sure some of you will realize I'm a bit oversized for this item, and my neighbours must either think I'm a complete dork or be on the phone calling the fuzz because there I am, roaring up and down the street and sidewalks, over to the school ground doing power slides and high speed laps around the gravel soccer field. Spent a good 20 minutes on it before hastily retreating into my back yard before the RCMP rolled up to wag their fingers at me.
That's frickin awesome! 8) I couldn't resist the temptation either when upgraded to the Mikuni carb on a 110 cc. A little gravel on the road from the current construction and I got some wheel spin, felt like I was 18 again. I'm sold!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #3

TurboT, what do you know about balancing engines?

Excellent post. Like you, I wish that the spark plug could have been quantified somehow, but encouraging news nonetheless.

Have you considered the speedometer that LynnEdwards installed?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #4

I know nothing about engine balancing at all.. 8O Don't even know why I mentioned it.

I didn't want to put the CDI on with the old plug, in hindsight, I guess I could've installed the new plug, drove it around, then put the CDI on for a comparison.

Speedo would be cool.. my wife was just at Wal-Mart I should've got her to look for one. I definetely might need your tools for that mod though.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #5

Anytime. I checked at our local WallyWorld, and they were out. Too late in the season I guess; they'll probably be putting Christmas stuff out soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #6

[quote="crhunter"]
Quote:
That's frickin awesome! 8) I couldn't resist the temptation either when upgraded to the Mikuni carb on a 110 cc. A little gravel on the road from the current construction and I got some wheel spin, felt like I was 18 again. I'm sold!
I'm usually a bit more reserved on it, knowing I'm overloading the poor thing quite substantially. I figured I've fooled with these enough that I can fix most of what I'd break, so tonight I let loose on it some. Locked up the back wheels and slid on the street sideways some to neede my neighbour a bit. Had a good time on it.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #7

That does it. I need video of you hangin' that thing into the turns!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That does it. I need video of you hangin' that thing into the turns!
I think I'd be a youtube star! I can see the title now.

"Fat guy on little kids quad trying to show off, oops, rollover.."

Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #9

Back to the speedo, maybe we should try Crappy Tire, even though we both dislike that establishment. I'll bet that they have 'em.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM   #10

I only see one on their website, and it doesn't get great reviews..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...peedometer.jsp

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #11

Not sure if any of these would work. They also come in a wireless model.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442623583

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_listing/51