Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #1

Air Filter - Recommend Changes

Hi Forum,

This post may come as no surprise to many but thought I should post to heed warning to new china quad owners.

I decided to pull the air filter off my Gio 110cc Mini Beast today, just to give it a clean up and check it over. When I removed the rubber hose attached to the carb (with some annoyance due to the angle of the clamp screw) I was quite surpised to see a lot of caked on crud along the walls of the carb intake. I would think this should be clean in there, as should be a filtered clean air zone, but no.

Now the air filter really was not that dirty, a little dusty but nothing serious.. it didn't look to me like it was doing a good job keeping much out of there other than large stones and small animals.

I cleaned this up as carefully and gingerly as possible, and will be sourcing new air filters for both my Gio's. I would recommend an upgrade in this area for many Gio owners who haven't done so already.

If any small Gio owners have sourced a good filter, and know the dimensions that would help me, as I can't seem to find my damn calipers anywhere. I should perhaps look in my kids toy box! :roll:

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #2

Re: Air Filter - Recommend Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT

If any small Gio owners have sourced a good filter, and know the dimensions that would help me, as I can't seem to find my damn calipers anywhere. I should perhaps look in my kids toy box! :roll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welngrind
I use a Uni pod filter. Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html Scroll down to "Clamp-On Dual Layer Pod Filter Straight / Black Inner / Red Outer / Urethane Flange". Also scroll down to the next item that lists the 15 degree angle. You'll see that you can select from 1" to 4" ID, so there should be one that works with your carb.

These are the filters to buy if you're playing in the dirt. The red outer sleeve is coarse and the inner black pod is fine. Oil the inner black pod only (I use Maxima blue filter spray sparingly). They're usually about $20 from the local bike shop. :roll:
I remember asking about this a couple of days ago. I'm looking for an air filter as well. Let me know if you find one that works.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #3

Yes I might need to crash Weldangrind's shop to steal his calipers.

I was surprised at the amount of crud in there, definetely on the priority list don't want to sandpaper the cylinder walls.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Yes I might need to crash Weldangrind's shop to steal his calipers.

I was surprised at the amount of crud in there, definetely on the priority list don't want to sandpaper the cylinder walls.
Yes I remember for sure and Weldangrind's opinion the stock one's were 'losers' ... I had expected that meant they were constrictive of air and not allowing good breathing for power, not allowing free flowing dirt in.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #5

The K&N knock off filters I have seen on these little china bikes have been pathetic.

I found a seller on ebay that has UNI knockoffs. I got one and it is pretty good. I would suggest a UNI or a knockoff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It appears they ship to Canada.

Allen

Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

Hey Allen thanks for the ebay link.

I will investigate a real uni here and check the costing and then make a decision. I will need two, one for both my little quads here.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #7

With shipping it may be cheaper to get the real deal locally.

Allen

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #8

I just got my 110 cc gio and have a filter question related

Hi,
I'm posting a reply to this thread, as I'm interested in a good replacement filter as well. I just received my 110cc gio today and I'm curious if the carb is on correctly. The filter is hanging from the bottom of the carb and I can look right into the carb as see the choke. When I try to push the rubber housing from the air filter up to the clamp on the carb, the gas tank seems to be in the way. It looks to me as if the whole carb assemble is on backwards. On mine the air breather is in the front, under the gas tank. It looks to me like there would be a lot more room for it if the carb assembly was pointing the other direction, so the breather was under the seat. On my 50cc gio, this is how the air filter is configured.

Can anyone tell me if the 110cc should have the air filter in the front (pointing frontwards) OR pointing towards the back?

I can't seem to get the existing filter housing attached to the carb the way it is pointing now (frontwards).

Appreciate any help.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #9

There have been some Chinese clones or horizontal Honda engines that point the filter forwards, but it's not typical. Can you remove the intake from the head and spin it around?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #10

Did you oil the filter?, as all K&N air filters must be oiled for best results,i used to run K&N's on my microsprint and it was wash and oil every week.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #11

From what you're describing it is in backwards, and should be the same as your 50cc.

Strange way to come out of the box.

What kind of gio is it? Hummer or Mini Beast?

A picture of that would be great if you can get your camera in there.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #12

It is a 110 Hummer

I have taken some pictures, but I can't figure out how to attach them to this post. [C:\data\ben\4_wheeler\gio_110_C.JPG]

How do I paste a picture?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #13

Easiest way for me is with photobucket.

If you open a photobucket account, upload the picture to their site.

You then can hold the mouse over the pictures and a drop down appears, hold the mouse over the "html" link, right click and copy it. Move over to chinariders and paste that html link into the body of the message.

Easiest to do in 'tabbed browsing mode' so you can go back and forth easiest.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #14

Thanks for the tip TurboT...bombing around at Paul Lake, Kamloops BC on the gio 110 mini beast

Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #15

Wow, that doesn't look very mini, crhunter. It's definitely smaller than a Beast, but it's no 50 either. I hadn't seen one with a rider for reference before.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer