Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #1

Kolpin Hand Guards with Mirrors

We picked up a set of Kolpin hand guards with rear-view mirror that was on sale at Tractor Supply. Even on sale, I thought $29.99 was a stretch, but went for it anyway. Besides, my son rides on back roads and needs to see when someone is approaching from behind. We decided to shoot some photos for anyone interested. I didn't feel up to assembling them until this evening so the photos are taken in less than ideal conditions.

They are a universal mounting type, which is code for 'they fit hardly anything right'. They pretty much live up to that code speak. Read on.......

The guards are packaged where you can't really get a clear idea of just how they mount. Even Kolpin's own site gives no clues as to their mounting scheme:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...th-mirror.html

The packaging:

The mounting hardware consists of some U brackets, a couple of machined aluminum mounts and misc. screws and nuts.

Now the challenge - mounting them in any useful position. The brackets are formed in such a way that you are supposed to mount them on the vertical portion of the handle bar. Unfortunately, our handlebars don't have a vertical portion - only diagonal. No matter which way we twisted things, we could never get a good view of the rear. If we positioned the guards where they gave the most protection to the hands, we could only see objects to the side. If we position them so the mirrors (which are not adjustable I might add) gave a usable view of the rear, they were useless for protection and looked ridiculous. We settled on middle ground, positioning them in such a way they they really don't allow a direct rear view and perhaps don't protect the hands as well as they could.

The remedy would be a design where the mirrors are adjustable within the hand guards. I am certain this would add minimal cost and would make the guards more universal than they currently are.

They seem sturdy enough and are quite rigid when everything is tightened down. Will they withstand heavy brush? Probably not, but bugs and rocks, most certainly. However, I can't say that I would recommend these if a rear view is a requirement of yours.