Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Potential New 250-V4SW Owner

I posted in another forum about getting a quad for my 12 year old son. He's tall so a 250 isn't too much for him. It won't be raced or jumped - just driven off road on our place or some trails or between friends houses on back roads. If his quad turns out decent, I'll get one for myself within a few months so we can ride together.

I test drove a 250-V4SW this weekend at Vbike in Edmond Oklahoma. Tim, the owner was very gracious and let me ride one out back. Overall I was impressed with the quality for the cost, given that I had read horror stories about the Chinese models. The model he suggested had larger wheels and good shocks. Many of the others had shocks that were very stiff. I say that it was a V4SW, but I'm not sure now after reading some other posts about a 250T model. But I don't see the 'T' model listed on the site anymore. Perhaps they no longer carry that model?

I prefer to buy from a local dealer and I have two to choose from: Vbike and another that carries TaoTao and JCL. There was one JCl model that was a flat track 125 that I liked and thought might fit my son well, however it was a 4 speed without reverse and only carried a 6 month warranty. The Vbikes carry a 1 year warranty. Either place has been around for a while and provide service and support.

So I'm leaning toward Vbike heavily. In fact, if he still has the one I test drove, I may pick it up tomorrow evening. Before I do that, I wanted to ask if I would be better off looking at another brand even though I would have to order it? I should point out that I am no stranger to a wrench and have the shop, tools, welder, etc to service whatever we buy. I like tinkering with things like this so adding loctite to all bolts, etc.

Looking for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

Tim has been around for a while. I drove up from the Dallas area a couple of years ago to pick up my motorcycle. He has sold alot of units I would guess.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

From my reading in the forums Tim seems to have a good reputation here for trying his best to look after people.

Really great that you can go down and test drive and inspect the unit you will buy as well. A lot of us get them out of crates and have no idea what we'll get from on to the other. I think seeing and trying goes a long way with these things.

I'm sure when Kentucky Donkey gets to your post he will weigh in as he has a lot of experience with the dealer and the units.

-TT

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

I beleive the v4sw is the one that got the positive reviews from everyone. It was the other models that were not as good.

Tim has a good rep for trying hard. Sometimes things don't go as planned and he may miss details, but you have the advantage of local pickup and inspection.

Allen

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #5

I consider Kentucky Donkey To be an authority on your question, and I would PM him or wait to hear from him.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Well after some research and agonizing over it, I will be picking up a new, black 250-V4SW this weekend. I made sure that it was the V4SW.

I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb this weekend and loctite everything in sight I'll try and do a write-up in another thread for those interested.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #7

Why not try to go to Hi-Bird as they should still have some sports ATV's. Tim used to carry mostly Hi-Bird, and did really well with the 250cc dual sport motorcycles. He is supposed to be very good to deal with, and the prices are good, too, but he does not seem to carry Hi-Bird anymore. In spite of their goofy name, Hi-Bird have a high-quality product line (yes, for Chinese bikes), and are US headquartered in the OK City area.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #8

Can't wait to hear how it goes, I think this is the one the Kentucky Donkey liked. I hope it is the same one. I would like to know who the manufacture is on the title when you get it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #9

I doubt what you got is a V4SW- as they don't make them anymore (and haven't for some time) and Tim ran out of them months ago. You'll have to post a picture to convince me.

Tim touts the 250T as an "updated V4SW", but it is nothing like the V4SW except in looks.

If you did get a 250T, they are not bad bikes for the price compared to most other Chinese brands. I don't even know if brand matters so much on this Chinese stuff- it seems to be more a matter of luck of the draw, as quality control varies wildly, even within the same brand. They seem to assemble these bikes with a mish-mash of components. If they run out of one component while manufactuing...they just substitute something else that fits. You never really know what you're getting.

If you did indeed manage to get a V4SW though...then you got the creme of the Chinese crop! Either way though...V4SW or 250T, for the price, they'll work for what you want to use them for.

Please keep us updated and post some pics if you can.

One thing I've noticed too, is that the front brakes SUCK on my 250T. They just slow the wheels down..don't actually stop. I took them apart yesterday, trying to adjust and fix...but I couldn't finmd the problem (anmd they were like this from day 1). While front drums are never the best...these really stink! I'd be curious to know if others are experiencing this with their 250T.

Good luck...and enjoy! (And despite my negative experience with Vbike...I still think that they are better than most other Chinese dealers- at least they answer the phone and work with you somewhat)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #10

No, I got a 250T (I think you saw my other post by now). I had Tim assure me that I was ordering a V4SW in black. When I called a day early to pick it up, he admitted that he didn't have it in black, but every other color. When I got there, he had a freight damaged green one in stock. I pulled my hair over it for a while and decided to pull the trigger on the 250T even though I had read your report. The V4SW had some hardware already rusting on it and the construction of the two seemed similar with the engine being the main difference that I could see.

I am overall happy with the 250T itself (lesser so with the dealer), probably because I was so afraid of getting a turd and it's actually lasted nearly a week (except for the wreck damage - see other post) with no mechanical failures other than the battery cover. I do plan to buy either an ATV or Enduro within 2 months and like the idea of buying both from the same place, but I have no real dealer loyalty. Besides, I found the Hi-Bird/Komoto dealer nearby and they have a stocked warehouse that I got to peek inside :wink:

Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #11

I am looking for where I can get a V4SW, so if anyone figures this mystery out let us know.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #12

Think I found ya one, RealWorld!

http://www.harwinmotors.com/rapidity.html

After you choose the 250cc option, etc., the price comes out to $1369- not bad. This is the site that used to sell them for over two grand.

I don't know a thing about that site...and I didn't even take a good look at the bike....I'll look some more tomorry, when I'm not on my way to bed...

I wonder if that's really even the bike they'll ship? One might order it and end up with a 250T- there's no telling with these importers.....

More tomorrow....

EDIT: Here's another one:
http://www.olsonpowersports.net/i-atv19-5.html

For $1800...from a back-room dealer who has a horrible reputation. And like I said, with any of these guys (even Tim) there's no guarantee that what you order is what you'll get...and with their "all sales final" statements, one has no recourse with theior credit card.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #13

Great job, I cant remember the manufacturer on the title of yours, so if you recall,I would like to know. I think that might be the secret to getting a good machine. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #14

I was thinking it was a Kandi, but I'm sure KD will let us know for sure.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
Great job, I cant remember the manufacturer on the title of yours, so if you recall,I would like to know. I think that might be the secret to getting a good machine. Thanks for the info.
I wonder if they don't just mix and match the titles, just like they do with the owner's manuals and the mechanical components of the bikes?

O-K, the title on the V4SW said "ZHEJIANG MENGDELI ELECTRIC Co.,Ltd" (Had to Google that to get the spelling right)

The manual said Kandi....(Steve has a good memory!)

Ah! Lemme just go see if I can find a pic of the plate that was on the front of the bike....

["Jeopardy!" music plays]

.....bumpf-be-dum-dum-dum-BOOM-BOOM!

O-K, zeee plate says: "Kandi - manufactured by ZHEJIANG MENGDELI ELECTRIC Co.,Ltd"

Here's a pic of it:

I looked at the $1369 site again- in the pics, everything looks identical to the V4SW I had, except mine had a green colored motor instead of gold- but they look to be the same Lifan motors, regardless of color[I believe on Tim's site, they showed the motors as being gold too- ]. (I can post some pics of my ex-V4SW if you'd like to compare). Again though...there's no guarantee that you will receive the same bike that is pictured! (I wonder if they really still have a supply of them???)

Darn- if I could sell my 250T AND 300 Monster, I'd ortder one of these!