Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
2nd phase of carb/exhaust mods

I got my uni filter installed on the bike today. Got the c-clip moved to the lowest point on the needle and i adjusted my set screw.

I now have a great running lifan gy5.

It does full throttle roll ons very well, rev's strong all the way up to the top of the powerband and doesnt feel like it is going to implode/explode at any moment.

If you want to maximize the factory settings on this bike, do the filter, drill a 5/8ths hole in your muffler, drop your c-clip to the lowest setting and back your idle mix screw out 2 1/4 turns or so..

It makes the bike start/idle very smooth and easily. Can't complain a bit.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #2

Suave,
Get some pics of the Uni filter and how you mounted it, I'm sure this will help others that want to do this mod...

Old 03-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #3

well to be honest, the uni filter is nice, but to mount it on the bike, it took some cursing...

i think it fits like #$@#. I will see how it works out. I can say i can recommend the setup, but not exactly the filter...

the filter is foam, wrapped around a metal spring of sorts. It has a band clamp over that that you use to tighten it down. the spring is supposed to catch onto the lip of the carb.. It doesnt really do that well.. i had to snip off a couple rings of it so that it would be skinny enough to wrap around and catch the lip.. then tightening it down made it seem like it was tight till i gave it a little tug, at which point it fell off...

So i finally screwed around with it for a while and it seems to be on there good.. i guess we will see. gimme a some mileage and if it works out for me, i will post pics of the filter.. if not, i will be getting something different.

The filter itself is a cheap one, so im not too concerned with tossing it aside to get another one... or maybe i can find something to do with it... who knows... i will figure out what it takes to get it on better.

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #4

Since you mentioned throttle roll, I'll ask a question here.

I noticed when giving the bike full throttle you have to wrench your wrist all the way down and sometimes even regrab it to pull it open all the way.

Anyone done a mod to make the throttle open "snappier"? Maybe use a larger throttle cam level thing to make it open quicker?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #5

um.. i just tend to grab the throttle up higher.... that way its fully open by the time i get my hand around the bottom...

Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #6

Has anyone seen my "Throttle cam level thing"???

Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #7

dude, do i have to tell you EVERYTHING?!

you left it in the whichamacallit!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #8

lol

Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #9

Thanks Suave, I knew that's where I left it...

Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #10

yep, right next to the doohickey...

i'm always on point... ;-)

Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #11

Do what they don't teach you in MSF couse.....go ahead and grab a handful of throttle!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #12

Suave, I thought I would reopen this thread and add some new info. I finally got to put some miles on the Roketa. About 50 in fact. I had done the K&N style filter and the YZ250F muffler and was hoping for better top end. What I got was a much punchier low and mid, but top end was really sucking. I found out why. WAY lean. I pulled the plug when I got home and it was light gray. Like almost white. NOT GOOD. I pulled off the carb, and took out the jet. FYI, stock jet is an 8mm long Keihin type #109. Called around town and nobody had Keihin jets, sooooo I looked around the shop for a drill bit. Nothing small enough, but on the corner of the work bench there was my torch tip cleaners. Tip cleaners are like little round files, similar to what a dentist uses for a root canal. Well I found a size that just fit the jet, then filed it 2 sizes over. Threw it all together and holy crap man what a difference. It pulls all the way up and through the power band. Puffs a little if you punch it off idle, but the plug is nice golden brown. Engine is definately running cooler and stronger. Anyone that's done the filter mod outta pull the plug and check it. I ended up with the needle clip one position lower (richer) then stock, and the air screw is 2 turns out.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #13

well hmm... maybe i should look into this.. i checked my plug when i changed it last night.. it was brownish, but i still think im running a bit lean, maybe i will do the same and see what gives.. what exactly is that item you are talking about called? torch tip cleaner? where would i look for one of these?

any extra info you can get me would be awesome!

also, i havent done the muffler yet, as i've got bills to pay and the bike stays on the back burner when bills are present, but i plan on getting something decent on there by summer.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #14

also, what gap are you running on your plug? i think i gapped mine at .8mm..

Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #15

Torch tip cleaners. They come in an unfolding metal box with a bunch of small round files that step up VERY gradually from the thickness of a hair to about 1/16 inch. Makes a perfect round hole in the jet to any size you want. Its kinda a pain to file and hard on the fingers, but worked after a while. Any car parts store should have them. When you get ready to check your plug you should warm up the bike, find a good long hill to hold it full throttle for 5 or 10 seconds then immediately kill the engine. Don't let it idle at all or it will give you a false rich reading. Pull the plug and see how she looks. Let us know what you find. You might still be ok with the stocker exhaust, but the top end loss you mentioned sounds exactly like what mine was doing.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!