Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #1

I'm stupid

Ok the same dealer that almost killed me by not having the shock main bolt on told me that to check oil i needed to screw all the way in threads, i now find out that no i shouldnt have listened to them... I over filled oil, leak back from the sensor area. _hit! dealer wants 100-200 to do gasket
if i can fix dells all day surely i can change the gaskets myself. bike runs great, small oil leak pain in arse... mess in my garage.

funny thing is it only leaks after it completely cools down, not while hot telling me that well at least gaskets working when hot and expanded.

one of you rich doctors or laywers please just mail me a new harley.

thanks, suggestions will be considered after suicide. lol

mN. :evil:

Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #2

How much oil did you have in it? I am not sure you are diagnosing the problem correctly.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #3

Oil

put a quart definately leaking from the shift sensor. thoughts?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #4

In my opinion a quart is not going to damage that engine. I don't have a comment on your leak, because I am not sure what that leak area looks like. I do think someone will know. I think you can relax a bit, this should not be a big deal.

Wish I could be more help.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #5

A quart on top of what was aready in it?...By screwing the dipstick all the way in You should have been almost spot on.....If not the correct way You would have underfilled not over filled...Know what I mean.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Take the 200 bucks and save it for your next bike. Buy one of those big flat drip pans to park on and go have some fun. No way the difference between screwing the dipstick in and pushing it in till it touches would make enough difference to create an oil leak.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #7

explain

No i drained it before adding the quart. It had orig. oil from factory, removed cleaned filter screen, added quart only. Leak started. drained oil found where its leaking, had to remove front sprocket cover to reach, leak is coming out of that black sensor plug middle of the picture with the one nut on it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/undertul...06225782688866

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #8

The leak is not likely the result of over-filling; as AZ200cc says, screwing the cap in all the way would result in under-filling.

You likely either have a vent problem or, more likely, a bad o-ring. Remove the vent hose from the back of the engine and make sure it's not kinked or plugged (if this hose can't vent pressure, the pressure will find another way out).

To repair the leak, drain the oil and remove the sensor (which is likely a shift indicator or a neutral light switch). There will be a small o-ring on the sensor that you need to change; remove it carefully (use something plastic to remove the o-ring if you can).

You can buy an assorted kit full of o-rings from places like Harbor Freight for very little cash (this is the set I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2901 ). Failing that, a local industrial supply store can match up the o-ring that you removed. Carefully install the new o-ring and make sure to put a little fresh engine oil on the new o-ring before you slide the sensor back in place. Don't over-tighten the retaining bolt, and you're done.

Far too simple for talk of suicide.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #9

Also Ace hardware or good parts stores like Napa carry oring assortments. Usually you can buy just the one you need for pennies.

Allen

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #10

Re: explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertulsa
No i drained it before adding the quart. It had orig. oil from factory, removed cleaned filter screen, added quart only. Leak started. drained oil found where its leaking, had to remove front sprocket cover to reach, leak is coming out of that black sensor plug middle of the picture with the one nut on it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/undertul...06225782688866
Every time i change my oil i use a full quart. It puts the level right between the high and low level in the sight glass. I don't think I've ever used the dipstick.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #11

Oh and You're not stupid, Stupid people CAN'T or WON'T learn...You'll get it. Nobody is dumb because they don't know about something they have never done before.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #12

so perhaps

well ive only every put a quart in it so maybe this was defect from start?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #13

Yup. Now you've got it . Welcome to our world of ChinaBikes :roll: .

Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #14

O ring

Ok went to local parts store gave guy oring to match he only had one slightly bigger (YEAH!) thats exactly what i needed this time installed and fits snug tightened down, but not too much its plastic piece on the sensor.

bought a spare at 55cents a piece.

based on how snug it was almost had to force it in put finally went into place having to push down on it to get it in. dont think it will leak now, check the pressure valve tube off the back of engine not clogged or restricted.

gonna test ride now

Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Cool. BTW I'd love to see some pics of where you ride in laska!