Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

A review of the Kenda 760 TrailMaster tires

I had decided to replace the stock dual sport tires on my HSUN 200 GY with some high-performance knobbys. I had some free time yesterday, so I did it after work. This is the first time that I had ever dismounted and remounted the tires by myself,I had always just brought them into the shop. But,in the spirit of inexpensive Chinese motoring, I decided to do the job myself this time. When I ordered the tires, I ordered some good quality tire irons. I found the job to be easier than I had anticipated. The front tire in particular went easy, the rear required some more muscle. Ironically, the hardest part, was getting the valve stem through the hole in the rim.

I had ordered new heavy-duty rim strips, which I simply laid over the old trim strips, so now there is even more protection there.

The new tires themselves are Kenda 760 TrailMasters, and they are very beefy knobbys.I do not think you could buy a much more aggressive tread pattern and still have a DOT legal tire.

These are my observations so far. These are based on a 60 km ride which involved about 50% singletrack, part of which was up some semi-steep hills. Most of the singletrack was dusty/sandy, in some places deep.

About 40% was on gravel and dirt roads, mostly hardpacked.

10% was street riding, mostly visiting a friend, and writing it to work this morning.

On the street, naturally the stock tires were better. The new tires have a somewhat abrupt turn in, likely related to the profile of the new front tire. Also, the bike sits noticeably higher, about three quarters of an inch, but it seems even more than that. Of course you only notice this at stop signs etc. As far as street traction is concerned, I have noticed no issues, but the conditions have been dry, and I have not been asking too much of them in terms of cornering. Interestingly, they ride surprisingly smooth, at least as smooth as the stock tires.also, my seat-of-the-pants feel, is that they are naturally balanced very well.

The biggest advantage of course was technical and climbing singletrack trails, especially when the soil/sand was deep. They are much more stable, and we’ll spin is minimized. Breaking, especially as it applies to the front wheel, was improved going down such hills.

On gravel and dirt roads, I think that the stock tires have an advantage, as there are not big knobs feeling through the gravel to different depths at different points.

As far as gearing is concerned, the differences very noteworthy. These tires have an outside diameter at least an inch greater than the stock tires which effectively raises the gearing even more. In my opinion, a rear sprocket between 48 and 50 teethwould be ideal when combined with the front sprocket of 17 teeth.

Top speed is probably increased, especially taking into account that the larger front tire induces speedometer error, making it read between five and 10 km/h slower at higher speeds. The bike will easily cruise at a true 60 miles an hour (about 90 km/h indicated).

In dense sand, or loamy soil, these new tires stand head and shoulders above the old. Also when blazing new trails across desert terrain with sagebrush and other small grassy plants, these tires have a very strong advantage.

I did have to remove the chain guard. I also had to cut off its lower mount for the tire to fit. I expected this based on the results of other members here on the forum. Other than this there was plenty of room for the tire, and it did not interfere with the toolkit. Watch out however as it can interfere with the battery, so make sure that the battery is pushed outwards as far as it will go easily.

To summarize:

If most of your riding is soft surfaces, and were very hilly or technical, these tires present a strong advantage. If most of your riding is on gravel or dirt roads, the stock tires may have an advantage, and wore a less aggressive dirt tire may work.

Obviously if most of your riding is on the street, the stock tires would be significantly better than these.

Furthermore I would also recommend changing them yourself, as it is not too hard, and the very important skill to have.

If you are riding your bike primarily under surfaces that are ideal for these tires, I would recommend the rear sprocket between 48 and 52 teeth.

I hope this review was helpful.

Fast Doc

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #2

Doc, since you said this is the first time you've changed tires, i was wondering how you would compare the existing tubes/rim strips etc. from the ones you bought to replace them. Was there a huge difference or anything that you found noticeable between them? I'm especially interested since most here have suggested replacing the tubes and having troubles with blow outs at low miles, the kind of thing i would attribute to low air pressure spinning of the tire and the resultant severing of the valve stem.

Just wondering what observations you have on what you found inside.

Seer
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #3

The new heavy duty tubes were at least twice as heavy as the originals. Ditto the rim strips. No way would I not upgrade them when changing the tires. Since I regularly ride alone, far from the roads, I was always concerned a tube would let go and leave me out of luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #4

Doc, Great review. Glad to hear you got them mounted. I found that my tire was hitting the tool can because the front mount was improperly welded in at an angle.

Did you have any fitment issues with the heavy duty tubes?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

No real problem, but it took a little while. Both wheels, soup to nuts, start to finish, including dismounting and remounting, took 1 hour 15 minutes.

Whatch your battery case, mine was too close for comfort. I also removed the chain guard.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on the battery box and next time i need tubes I'll be getting the HD ones.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

Thank you for a thoughtful, detailed, well-written review, Doc.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

Just wanted to maybe help some others here in the way that they have helped me.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #9

Pay it forward, or pay it back; either way, everyone benefits. Thank you, Doc.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894