Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #1

HELP! Should I buy this Chinese Bike? [Edit] GOT IT!!

Found a chinese bike for $799, used. It is a 2007 NewStar with 620 miles on it. I talked him down $100, so for $699 its mine. I test drove it, and it drove great. Electric starter is broken, but seems to ride good. The reason I'm asking is because I want to know if it is a good deal.

I also want a bike that isn't going to break down, as I am clueless on how to repair things. I realize these bikes are less reliable than a Japenese, but only have $700 in my bank account. However, my intentions of riding it are:

-Light dirt trails
-3 or 4 weekends a year
-No jumping
-Short 1 mile rides around my block
-No road registration

Do you think I can get by on this without having to repair a ton of stuff for a few years? Is this bike for me?

I realize I could buy a really old Jap bike for about the same price, but I have had a 1980 Yamaha 650 xs for the last 15 years, and it's not that reliable, breaks down once a year.

One more thing. These bikes aren't selling well in my area. In the classified ads, most bikes that are chinese bikes being sold around me aren't being sold, so I take it if I buy this bike, I wouldn't be able to sell it very easily, and if so, would probably get 1/2 what I paid out of it next year.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #2

HELP! Should I buy this Chinese Bike?

Forgot to mention that the reason I'm so scared, is because I saw some YouTube videos yesterday of reasons you should never buy a Chinese bike, and they scared me... 8O

Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

It actually sound like a china bike may be perfect for you. The reliability is more based on if they get setup properly and get alittle maintenance.

A $700 jap bike will likely be just as "unreliable". I ride mine almost everyday in nice weather. 45 miles roundtrip.

You will need to check things on a regular basis, but that is needed on any dirtbike.

Allen

Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

It is a common opinion amongst us that the Canuk in that video is an idiot so I would not go by that. The bike you describe should fit your mission well, but you will have to learn how do make some simple repairs as the need comes along. No bike is maintenence free.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #5

Most any repair other than a major rebuild is simple enough for a beginner with basic tools on these little bikes.

Allen

Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #6

Re: HELP! Should I buy this Chinese Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhkram

One more thing. These bikes aren't selling well in my area. In the classified ads, most bikes that are chinese bikes being sold around me aren't being sold, so I take it if I buy this bike, I wouldn't be able to sell it very easily, and if so, would probably get 1/2 what I paid out of it next year.
Why don't you hold off paying $700 and get the guy down cheaper? I had a complete, but non-running Jetmoto enduro, that no one would pay $100 for. I found an engine for $400, got it running, it had some issues (generally my fault--it was the clutch cable was too long, so would not shift into gear--long,sad story, but I parted it out and ended up with around $200. That was about 1 year ago.

I would guess that the guy would jump at $500 in a week or so--maybe less. Consider the lack of an electric start--one from a parted out bike would cost you probably $75 or more, so think that you are paying $800 for a bike that, by your own words, would get you less than 1/2 in a year or so.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It is a common opinion amongst us that the Canuk in that video is an idiot so I would not go by that.
Are you talking about this video?:

He makes comments like he expected it to come with a stainless steel chain, and bemoans the fact that the fasteners are all METRIC...Shock, horror...

How many bikes have a stainless chain?. I was also under the impression that the rest of the world uses metric...
Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #8

To paraphrase Spud Rider, don't buy a Chinese bike if you don't like to wrench. Parts are harder to find, and most shops won't touch 'em. I really enjoy the three Chinese machines we have, but they took alot of work to get them to where they are.

You say that you're clueless on how to repair things; are you willing to learn? If so, there are several patient people on this forum who would gladly offer guidance.

I miss my old XS650. Mine was a '79.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Got It

Well I decided to buy it. Thanks for the input. I tried to talk them down like culcune suggested, since the starter was bad, but they wouldn't budge. The starter wasn't bad after all, the battery just needs to charge. I went on my first ride around the block, and already lost 1 screw and 1 bolt. Will definately have to invest in some locktight.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #10

Nice looking machine. Except for some bodywork differences, it's the same as my HSUN/Lifan or whatever...

Read the Dual Sport Prep Thread stickie and go over the bike with a fine tooth comb. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #11

Good score!

I recommend blue Loctite 242; it is removeable without heat, and it will match your blue bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #12

It looks to be in great condition.

The stock batteries are a know issue. I must have got a good one since mine still works after three years.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. I am sure any problems you will find have been covered before and we are here to help.

Going over the bike now while it still has all the parts attached will pay off in the long run.

If you need something explained just ask.

Allen

Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #13

Congrats on the purchase! You tried, but in the grand scheme of things, what is a few hundred bucks, if you like the bike? You could have waited but ended up losing the bike to another buyer, so you took the plunge!

Here is a listing for New Star on a business to business site, so you could get hold of them directly, although I doubt they can help you much

http://www.alibaba.com/member/cqshineray.html

I am fairly sure that New Star and Kinroad are related

http://www.kinroad.net/index.asp

and I know that Kinroad's US distributor is called Runmaster

http://www.runmasterusa.com/

Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #14

Congratulations, Mark! That is a very nice looking motorcycle. Welcome to the fraternity.

Get some locktite, search the threads, and ask all the questions you please! We are very happy to have you join the forums.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #15

Congrats on the purchase. Glad the starter is OK. Might need a new batery but thats cheaper then a starter. Looks like the seat is mounted incorectly or it is missing one of those little bumper pads. It appears cocked to the right in the pic from the rear.

Enjoy!!