Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #1

sprockets again

I must have counted wrong before, but riding on the street showed me that I am barely keeping up with traffic. 45 mph seems easy, but 55 is wound out. I counted my rear sprocket today and found that it is a 50 tooth. How much speed will I gain going down to a 46 tooth? How bout a 44 tooth?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #2

The jetmoto site has a 44 tooth rear sprocket for $34.99. Anybody know if it would fit my bike?

http://www.jetmotousa.com/part_info.php?pid=2548545

BTW Hooper is carrying a pretty good assortment of parts too. He has a 46 tooth sprocket for $39.00
http://www.hooperimports.com/product...=LF200GYRrSprk

Hooper also is showing the only digital manual, or any manual for that matter, for these bikes that I have seen.

http://www.hooperimports.com/product.asp?pf_id=OMCD

Anyone seen any better deals on sprockets anywhere?[/url]

Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
I dunno if it's been confirmed about the Lifan bikes, but my Kazuma rear was compatible with a honda sprockt(sl.xl.xr 125-200) mid to late 70's models. I bought one off ebay new less than $20 shipped, I believe it was a 45 tooth. I went to a 16 tooth on the front, got that from JC whitney, it too was a honda sprocket.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
i got an owners manual with my bike. Its a blast to read, mainly because of all the chinese to english translations.

I dont have a scanner, but maybe i can find someone that does, and just put it up on the net as an adobe reader?? i am pretty lazy tho, maybe if someone else has the ability to do this, i can mail it to them, they can make the adobe file and then send it back?

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #5

I have the same "owners manual" if I actually took the time to scan it and post it and then have to reply to all the laughs I would get from it, I would have to be Chuck Norris status, HA, HA, I'd have to drink some wine though... I have the day off w/ no kids tomorrow, I just may do it, or go riding, Hmmm...

Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #6

What is your front sprocket size? I have 17 in the front and 44 in the back and it is a little too high. I was thinking to drop the front one tooth.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #7

Guys, can someone post the exact sprocket they know has fit and the cross reference bike for those looking for other sizes.... I will add it to the Cross Reference List for Parts Thread.... Hopefully this will become the one thread that everyone can go to get information about parts for these bikes.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 02-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #8

I have front and back sprockets & chain on order from Bruce Matty @ EJCycles. BUT, these are the 520 upgrade from the 428 setup. I'll post numbers when I get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy250
Guys, can someone post the exact sprocket they know has fit and the cross reference bike for those looking for other sizes.... I will add it to the Cross Reference List for Parts Thread.... Hopefully this will become the one thread that everyone can go to get information about parts for these bikes.

Jason

Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
The jetmoto site has a 44 tooth rear sprocket for $34.99. Anybody know if it would fit my bike?

Anyone seen any better deals on sprockets anywhere?[/url]
I think it would fit; as bfe71730 mentioned, these GY's are somewhat universal in the sprocket dept. with older Hondas--Jetmoto is no exception.
My Jetmoto has a 44 tooth sprocket that I ordered from Dennis Kirk. However, at the time I ordered, I looked, but was unsuccessful in finding, a sprocket on Ebay. Alan (bfe71730) had linked me to an auction for a 40 tooth rear. Perhaps he can tell you the key search words to use as I had no luck on my own...

If worse came to worse, the Jetmoto would (most likely) fit. The main (and I think only) parts guy, Dmitri, is quite knowledgeable and usually calls back if he doesn't pick up the phone and you leave a message. He should be able to set you up and answer any questions regarding compatibility. Call and see if they would deal on the price a little bit ("I can get the sprocket from Dennis Kirk for $25...")

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
I dunno about anyone else, but if I can save an extra $10-$15, I'm gonna do it. Some of these internet dealers are marking up the price on their china bike parts just for the folks that won't take the time to do a little research. There was a site link in the parts section on here that had sprockets for like over $40 and their other stuff looked like it came out of a JC whitney catalog. The only reason most of us bought these bikes was because of the price and now we got ***holes out there trying to sell sprockets and other parts priced nearly doubled than aftermarket or Japanese OEM implying their made for china bikes. I had my bike for over 3 months before I found a sprocket comparison and SHARED my findings on yahoo groups. That was over 2 years ago and then this site came along which I must say is a little more organized far as messages go and spam free. I've seen links to Ebay auctions on search engines, why not put a section on here with the key words for parts that will most likely fit and be of interest and update the links weekly, this may piss some dealers off but who cares, the whole purpose of messageboards is information. Hey Frostbite, do you reckon Ebay would allow or even pay you to put a searchbar in our forums?
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #11

Beerslayer, I'm not sure what the front sprocket is, won't have a chance to look till I get back from Fl.
Looking at the other post, looks like Bruce also has sprockets. Can you PM me with prices?
Still, if I am winding out at around 50mph (hard to tell with a broken speedpo) and I have a 50 tooth rear now, what will going to a 46 get me? An extra 5 or 10 MPH?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #12

[quote= and I have a 50 tooth rear now, what will going to a 46 get me? An extra 5 or 10 MPH?[/quote]

My GY-5 came stock with 17 front, 46 in the rear. If there is no wind, on a flat road you can run 70 mph. That is if the speedo is correct on my bike. One other time I got my bike up to 80mph with the wind at my back, and getting a draft from an 18-wheeler in front of me. Now my speedo said 80mph, I am not sure if it was correct or not. I sure felt like I was flying, and the Lifan was about to explode.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #13

Any sprocket

I already did one post on this, you can get ANY sprocket custom made for you out of high grade aluminum from "Rebel Gears" (www.rebelgears.com). If you cant find a sprocket that works for your bike or have a particular ratio in mind (I spent a few hours calculating the best one for me), they will make you a custom kick ass sprocket for a personal setup. I got mine today, it weighs nothing (the original one is pretty heavy) and this thing is perfect, plus looks cool. I did send them my original sprocket for reference, got it back with the new one, the whole process took less then a week and cost me 50$! There is a ratio sheet on their webpage, you can calculate the best setup (helps if you know your transmission gear ratios), you can figure out your top speed this way (need to know rear wheel diameter also). Hope this helps, you get what you pay for =)

Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #14

Deputygene, my GY-2 came with
17x56 and it winds out at 55-60. Rides great off road but sucks on road.
tried
17x38 way to high
now have
17x44 a little too high
going to try
16x56 and see what that does.
I have the 38 and 44 available for anyone who wants to try them. PM for prices.

Oh, wait! I could trade my 44r for DGene's 50r and we would be set!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #15

Dumb. I forgot Deputygene has a Zongshen. The GY stuff won't fit. Suggestion: Drop 1 tooth in the front. Try it. If that doesn't do it, one more tooth will. Front sprockets are cheaper at $15 to $25.