Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #1

Question on break in oil change

I bought a new ATV recently and I have read up on break-in procedures both here and at other sites, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the oil change interval. Motor is a 152FMH 110cc. http://www.atvtown.com/atv-26r.htm

When I first got it, it had this thick motor oil in it, darker brown than what I'm used to seeing. I ran it with that for about 30 minutes and then let it sit. Basically smelled like new motor (the smell you'd expect from the heated up paint on the motor). Next day rode it a bit more maybe 45 minutes. I checked the dipstick and the oil was pretty dark brown at this point, no burnt smell... yet. I dropped that oil and it had the usual micro particles in it with just a few tiny shavings exhibiting no bluing. I added Valvoline 10W40 ATV oil (JASO MA) and have been riding around on that in my quarter acre yard for 30 to 50 minutes at a time with varying throttle speeds. Noticed that the auto clutch is more responsive (less slippy) with the Valvoline which is nice. Oil is staying clear and not dark with no burnt or gasoline smell to it.

I dropped about 2 tablespoons of the oil this Sunday and it still had some micro particles in it. When should I fully change the oil again, after 50-100 miles like I've read? That could take me a while.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Since you a talking less less than a qt of oil I would recommend changing it often.

Put about 2-3 hours on this change and then drop it again. After that maybe every 5-10 hours. It is a small engine that is being worked hard at low speeds most of the time. The oil is cheap investment.

I change the oil on my dual sport every 500-1000 miles which is 10-20 hours of riding on the street. It tends to be pretty dark after that.

Allen

Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #3

Got it. So it falls into more of an hourly schedule due to the low speeds and short distances traveled resulting in a lot of heating of the oil. Most definitely cheap insurance to change it out often.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

ATV riders tend to go by hours used rather than miles. You might ride 5 hours and only 10 miles.

Allen