Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #1

LF200gy-5 back brake calliper seizing

Anyone have any ideas what would be making my lf200gy-5's rear brake calliper freeze or lock up?

It's been happening every once in a while, especially after it has been sitting outside for 8 hours in the sun and then locks up on my way home. Then it just releases after I let it sit and then struggle to get it in the garage.

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #2

I think this might help, check it out.

http://www.hooperimports.com/images/...rear_brake.JPG

The Citadel

LF200GY-5

Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #3

I'm glad mine is drum brake. Don't have to worry about that.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:21 AM   #4

I had to cut a few threads off the rod to get the adjustment correct.

Jonathan.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

Removing mystery shipping fluid in brake is good start.

I bled ,rode,bled,rode...untill brakes faded... (It seemed 15 min of riding was all it took to heat the crappy fluid to the point of siezure.)
I then drained remaining fluid and refilled with dot3/4 fluid. Brakes never needed adjusted during or since....fluid replacement did the trick.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior91
Removing mystery shipping fluid in brake is good start.

I bled ,rode,bled,rode...untill brakes faded... (It seemed 15 min of riding was all it took to heat the crappy fluid to the point of siezure.)
I then drained remaining fluid and refilled with dot3/4 fluid. Brakes never needed adjusted during or since....fluid replacement did the trick.
any hints on getting pressure back? I bled the line and emptied the caliper. Then I filled back up with dot 3 and bled it down to the caliper and screwed back in the bolt trying to line up the bolt hole with the hose. Then I pumped the brake to get pressure....none.

Any input is good...I haven't worked with brake lines much.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #7

If your getting fluid spillage when you bleed then good, if not keep bleeding till it spills, my bike has a bolt just above the brake lever close to my foot peg, when I loosen it it it pushes the brake lever down some, you can loosen it until your pistons are out far enough for your brake to work.not sure this helps? good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #8

I've pumped the brake a thousand times with the nozzle off the bleed valve and no luck.

I've disconnected the bolt to the brake caliper and the hose squirts out break fluid when I push the break.

I've taken off the brake caliper and the caliper clamps when I push the brake, but it still won't bleed even after the brake completely closes and with the bleed valve open.

It obviously doesn't clamp hard enough because it is not enough to even come close to stopping the bike. There doesn't appear to be any leaks.

Any more help? If the caliper is bad does anyone know where to get a rear brake caliper?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

Sounds like you may not be bleeding properly.

Push down the pedal and hold it down. Then open the bleeder for just a moment and close while the pedal is down.

Then pump the pedal several times and then push the pedal down and hold it. Again open the bleeder briefly and again close while the pedal is down.

Repeat till the pedal firms up, making sure you have plenty of fluid in the master cylynder.

I think your bringing air back into the system when you let the pedal go up while the bleeder is open

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #10

Yes. You need to close the valve before you release the pedal. You will never get it bled otherwise.

Allen

Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Sounds like you may not be bleeding properly.

Push down the pedal and hold it down. Then open the bleeder for just a moment and close while the pedal is down.

Then pump the pedal several times and then push the pedal down and hold it. Again open the bleeder briefly and again close while the pedal is down.

Repeat till the pedal firms up, making sure you have plenty of fluid in the master cylynder.

I think your bringing air back into the system when you let the pedal go up while the bleeder is open

Good luck!
:idea:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #12

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement caliper for the '01 lf200gy-5?

I can't get it to bleed no matter what. I wonder what can cause this? Remember it seized up in the first place, and now that I changed the brake fluid I can't get it to bleed.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
I had to gravity bleed mine, open the valve all the way, or even take it out. Hold down the pedal(forever) and just keep putting fluid in untill the bubbles stop coming out and you get a steady stream of fluid, then replace the valve and tighten it until it's closed. It takes forever, but it works, this is the only way I could get the piston inside my caliper to even move.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #14

OK, here's the problem. If you completely emptied the master cylinder, it has an air pocket in it and just pumping the pedal will never get it out. Here's what you need to do. Take the brake hose off the caliper and submerge it in a can of brake fluid. Now pump the crap out of the pedal. With the hose submerged in fluid it will eventually reverse bleed back into the master cylinder. Don't go buy a new caliper, that's not the problem. AND, you need to fix the adjustment bolt like was suggested earlier. Changing out the fluid will NOT fix the seizure problem.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #15

I would remove the whole system, before you detach the caliper use the brake lever to pump the pistons out as far as they go......then I would spray it all and wipe it into new condition with brake cleaner, then you put it all back on and bleed the new fluid in, make sure you bleed proper, push lever down open valve for about 2 seconds while lever is still depressed then tighten valve up good and release brake lever, you might have to open the bleeder valve quite a bit but never release the brake lever any until the valve is closed or you will get air in the system, make sure you push the pistons back into the caliper before returning it to the bike.....should work unless you have something clogging behind the pistons in which case you have to fully remove them to clean or there is something blocking your hose.....if you cant find anything wrong after doing proper maintenance a new caliper is bound to act up as well.if needed these guys might have what you need....www.china-parts.co.uk