Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #1

How do you load your 200cc by yourself?

I am new to motorcycling do not yet have my endorsement. I am signed up for a beginners class through a motorcycle safety and training program. I wanted to load up my Lifan into my Dodge ram 1500 by myself so I could go ride today out in the boonies and play with shifting, stopping, etc.

Well it looks kind of daunting, what are some methods other than riding it up which I am not willing to do.

Ive heard get a running start and push it up. I've also heard feather the clutch.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #2

Whatever you do, don't try to ride it up. Even if you could get up enough speed to go up a ramp, you wouldn't be able to stop quick enough in the truck bed. My brother once sold a motorcycle to a guy who said he was going to ride it up into the back of his truck, but after a couple of runs down the driveway decided to ride it home.

I'm not trying to be smart; the best system is to have 2 hefty guys to lift it into the bed. When I bought my bike, the dealer and another guy loaded it into my truck; when I got home, I called one of my sons and he and a buddy came over and lifted it off. That's the way to do it.

If you're going riding on trails, it's probably a good idea to take a buddy with you anyway. You and he should be able to lift it off and on.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #3

a good ramp makes it easy to load it yourself, i got a big thick board from a hardware store and an old skateboard cut in half and duct taped on, it actually works pretty well

you can also pick up really really nice aluminum ramps at lots of motorcycle shops

Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGongJitsu
a good ramp makes it easy to load it yourself, i got a big thick board from a hardware store and an old skateboard cut in half and duct taped on, it actually works pretty well

you can also pick up really really nice aluminum ramps at lots of motorcycle shops
Do you push it up the ramp? How do you keep the bike upright? What type of bike (how heavy) is it?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

be careful

I'll give my 2 cents on this one as I had the same question a few months ago when I got my 200.

When I bought it the guy drove it up into the back of my lifted ram 3500 and when he did he gave it a little blip of gas towards the top and almost spit the board out from under himself. It was hanging by an inch at that point...yikes! A certain number of people die each year doing this!

The method I settled on was to put two planks on the tailgate, side by side with about two feet of space between them. Stand to the left of your bike, grab the bars and start it. Put it in first and walk along side of it using your clutch. You can very slowly walk up one plank and drive the bike up the other from the side using clutch and light gas. If you're not smooth with your clutch yet you may practice this on a grassy hill first until you get comfortable with how your bike responds.

Just when I thought my system was fullproof I was camping last month and after numerous beers decided to get my bike out of the truck (not to ride it, of course While walking the bike down the plank using front brake the plank I was standing on suddenly slipped out from under me and with my cat-like balance I landed right on my feet, on the ground, well out of reach of the bikes handlebars. SMASH, SMASH, the bike hit the tailgate AND the ground. Bent shift lever, bent clutch lever, broken front blinker, dent in my luggage box and especially injured pride.

Moral of the story: the system works really well so long as you make sure you don't set the planks on loose gravel facing downhill, half drunk Set them on an uphill or even kick grooves in the ground to wedge them in. I think they make kits you can screw onto them to make them bite. If you can find an embankment to back your truck up to then it's even easier. A couple of feet of height takes a ton of angle off those planks.

This illustrates what I'm talking about, though this guy makes it look really hard even with a nice ramp.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

We've got an enclosed trailer and aluminum ramp, we just ride it in.... A pickup box would be a lot steeper I'm thinking....

And this is what happens when you do it wrong...

Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #7

LOL

Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

Before I bought curved aluminum ramps with straps, I had two boards about the length of my bed and 12" wide. I screwed in eye bolts into the bottom of the board and then used adjustable straps to anchor the boards to the truck. On the boards I sprayed glue all over the top of the board and sprinkled sand on the glue. I would position the boards about 18" apart. I used one board to walk up along side the bike and the other board for the bike. At first I would run the bike up, but then as my courage built up I would start the bike and drive it up as a walked next to it, later on I started riding the bike up the ramp. When backing the bike out I always left it in gear (motor off) and used the front brake and clutch to slow the bike down when backing off the truck. Most bikes will grip pretty good with just useing the front brake but on heavier bikes leaving it in gear and useing the clutch to provide back tire grip will help. This method won't work on slipper clutches. Just take your time, have a friend to standby while you practice one of the methods until your comfortable doing it yourself. If you ride it up get a slow running start and slightly blip the throttle while on the ramp but be prepared to grap a handfull of brake once your on top. Some guys will ride the bike back out the truck backwards but I never wanted to try that with any bike let alone the sportbikes you see those guys doing that with.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

When I had my dr650 and my full size gmc truck I had a ramp(2 actually) I made out of 3/4" plywood with 2x4's on each side underneath.To allow the plywood to touch the ground the 2x4's were oh I'm guessing 6" to 12"s shorter than the 7 foot long piece of plywood that was 2 feet wide.

I actually made two ramps like that above as I also has quads and a 3 wheeler and they helped when loading those.

of course that was about 25 years ago and now you can buy some really nice ramps for not to much money.

Couple of things to ALWAYS REMEMEMBER the ramps can and will get spit out and cause the bike to fall off the back of the truck and should be chained to the truck to prevent that.
Its not that difficult you just need a small chain and a couple of couplers to quickly hook and unhook it.

I used to load a quad first then drag it over the wheel well and make room for my bike and using both ramps I'd walk it up usually not running and slide it in the back.

Ive loaded my bike both ways with walking it up into the truck and walking along side the truck but along side the truck ais a big pain.

And yes I have riden it into the back but I never felt safe doing it and was keenly aware of what would happen if I spit the ramp out somehow.

I would of course have my tie downs set and in a handy place to make it easy.
In fact this is where you need the most help since you are trying to keep the bike upright and grab and set your tie downs.

Way way back we used to just use rope and bungie cords to secure our bikes amazingly we never had a serious mishap.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #10

I bought one of these on ebay for less then $100 and it carries my bike very well, and is easy to load. Mine is a different brand, but same type item.

2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhyak
I bought one of these on ebay for less then $100 and it carries my bike very well, and is easy to load. Mine is a different brand, but same type item.
I wish I could go that route. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the draw bar from the receiver on my truck.

I am lucky enough to have a 3 foot wall I can back up to and just saunter my way into the bed and strap it down.

One thing to note when hauling your bike: It is a good idea to turn your fuel petcock to off position so the carburetor float does not puke from the bumps.

Oh yea, it's less embarrassing to remember to turn it back to on before you ride off down the trail :oops:

Thanks,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #12

You have had lots of good reponces. I'll add a little something.
I remove the tail gate and place the 2x6 plank that I use on top of the bumper. That way, the end of the plank is level with the end of the bed of the truck. The plank wont kick up as the bike goes over the end of it.

I have no problem rolling up into the truck or out of it by myself. One thing I thought about adding was some anti- slip stickers or some expanded metal to help when the tires or plank is wet.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #13

My two cents.

We rode bikes a lot as kids and the method we used was to back the pickup up to a curb or the back tires in a ditch. This lowered the entry into the pickup.

The last step. Lots of muscle!

Rusty

Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #14

My 2 cents...

I got a tri fold ramp from Harbor Freight....I was lucky enough to get it for $69 on sale...Just watch it it will go on sale about every 2-3 months..
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90018

LoadingWhen Loading I back my truck into a low area like a ditch... a ditch or embankment work great. I push the bike on the Ramp. The key is to try and get the ramp as low and as straight of an angle as possible. DO NOT RIDE IT UP....I did 1 time and that is Why bike has scratches all on the Right side. I lost my balance and dropped the bike off the ramp onto concrete...It scared the SH!t out of me and scratched the bike.

Unloading.
I unload mine the same way. Use the Front Brake to Control the bike when you walk it down the ramp.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #15

i just push mine up the ramp by the handlebars and have a few fingers on the front brake, i usually pull the brake and stop the bike when it's at the top (in the truck bed), then just stick a knee on the truck bed and slide up in there, while holding the brake and keeping the bike upright

then when i'm in the bed of the truck i just walk it forward keeping a hand on the brake in case i need it

to unload you just do the opposite, walk the bike directly back (so the back wheel hits the ramp first), pull the brake, slide your way off the bed of the truck while holding the brake, and then roll it back down the ramp

but it's always easier with two people so the other can steady it and make sure you don't hurt yourself