Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

I'm not an electrician

Hi All,

Quick question, after "reading" the wiring diagram it seems to me that the green wire running to the rear signal lights is the positive, is this correct?

I am hooking up my aftermarket flushmount signals which consist of two LED cab mount lights from Canadian Tire.

Thanks in advance.

Glenski

Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

go get a little cheapo tester light 5.00 usd. stick it on the connector if it lights up it is the pos if it dosent it is neg. also the ground earth or neg whichever you call it should be the same color on both signals. only difference is the pos connections

Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #3

Re: I'm not an electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenski
Hi All,

Quick question, after "reading" the wiring diagram it seems to me that the green wire running to the rear signal lights is the positive, is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Glenski
:!: STOP! :!:

Get your multimeter and see if the GREEN wire has continuity to ground. :idea: :idea: :idea:

I have a suspicion that your green wire is COMMON GROUND. You will be looking for a different color wire for the left and right positive wires...for instance, orange for left and sky-blue for right.

It would be helpful to have your make and model in the post. I'm sure someone has "been there" and can help you more.

Good luck,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #4

It is an 06 Lifan GY5 if that helps.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #5

Yes your green is common ground. The RH pos is Sb sky blue...and the LH pos is O orange.

Tap into the connection under the seat if you can.

If you want I can send you some pics of a typical LED mod 8O

:idea: :idea: :idea:
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #6

yes please send if you have time, that would be great

Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

This is pretty easy once you know what wire goes where. You must consult your installation pamphlet to map your new colors. Also, be sure that your connections are tight and tucked away.

Wire colors: Green=ground, Sky Blue=right hand winkers, Orange=left hand winkers, Brown=tail lamp, Yellow/Green=stop lamp

Close up of rear components, tail light and rear signals.

Another view of the back.

Everything tucked away and water tight.

This is the main bundle to the rear lamps.

This bundle is for the turn signals...note 2 black into 1 green (ground)

This bundle is for the tail lamp/stop lamp.

Have fun, call if you get stuck,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice. I got my cab mount LEDs all installed tonight. They perhaps aren't as bright as I would like and I haven't taken any pictures but I will try to do this and upload sometime.

They are flashing a little slower than they used to (Presumably because they LEDs are a lower wattage therefore less draw), I am thinking I might be able to remedy this by inserting some form of a resistor inline to each signal light. Any suggestions on this?

Overall I am quite impressed with the finish of it, I know that I won't break them off next time I crash on the trails.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #9

Most LED upgrades cause faster-than-normal blinking, however, some blink slowly!

Mine blinks slowly too. I thought about a balancing resitor, but decided against it afterall. The reason being, "legally" they work, and installing a series resistor of the required ohms, would put the drain on the electrical system, that I freed-up with the LEDs.

I'm glad it went without a hitch.

I use ImageShack to upload pics. With The Hotlink For Forums size you can cut-and-paste, and your pics will be viewable without having to guess and click on some link with a bunch of cryptic numbers on it. 8) Here's the link, if you want it.

http://imageshack.us

Please share,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #10

My LEDs aren't very bright so I think having them to flash faster would be good. My solution to this will be one of two things:

Upgrade to an electronic flasher unit

OR

Install a higher wattage bulb in the front signal light since I only turned the rear into LEDs.

Let me know if I am crazy!

PS.

Thanks for the tips on uploading pics, I won't likely get around to it this weekend but hopefully soon.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #11

You don't sount too crazy to me. I've done crazier stuff before.

I don't believe your front and rear would blink in phase if the fronts and backs are not the same. You could try the higher watt bulbs in front and observe the results. I don't think that would hurt anything. Those flshers and resitors are expensive, so that would be my last option. But if it was the only thing that worked, I would go with it!

Try disconnecting the filament bulbs and see if your LEDs get brighter. The filament bulbs draw more current and might be robbing the LEDs of their bias voltage...I'm not too sure about this, but it is my hunch :wink:

Are you more concerned about the blink rate or the brightness, or both?

Here is a link to something to consider. You can then replace the filament bulbs too.

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_...rd_DOT_Flasher

Let us know,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

I bought a generic 3 prong electronic flasher tonight and want to disconnect the old one and hook up the three prong one. Does anyone know which three of the 5 wires are the ones that would be required to make this thing run?

GH

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #13

Did you get a wiring diagram for the generic flasher?

Without a diagram or instructions, it is a guessing game!

I would guess that a pair will be for the left, a pair for the right and a separate wire for the module power...

As to which wire goes where, you are goind to have to use deductive reasoning: :?: :?: :?:

You will probably have one wire that is a bolder color to denote hot...maybe red. Then you will probably have two pairs of the same color, except one of the pairs in each pair might have a stripe to denote grounds.

It sounds confusing at first. What you should have is a left pair, for example one orange (pos) and one orange with a stripe (neg). And then a right pair, for example one brown (Pos) and one brown with a stripe (neg). Lastly would be the power (12 volt dc) to power the 555 oscillator in the module.

The negative branches of the left and right circuits may also be a solid color such as green or black. If you have a pair of these colors, good chance these are your left and right grounds and it would not matter which is left and right, as long as the both go to a grounding point. The remaining two solid colors should be the left and right positive. Then all you would have is to figure which is left and right. You only have to connect, and observe to see if you need to switch sides 8O

Like I said though, I am only guessing here :wink:

I may be able help you more if I knew the manufacture, part # and, or schematic/installation instructions or even where you aquired the module.

As you may have guessed, I am curious about your installation so please don't leave me hangin' when this is finished. you will be helping all of us with this mod

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #14

Quote:
I would guess that a pair will be for the left, a pair for the right and a separate wire for the module power...

As to which wire goes where, you are goind to have to use deductive reasoning: Question Question Question
The flasher that I bought was at Canadian Tire and it is a Tridon EP36 12Volt Electronic flasher (3 Terminal). http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochur...ocation_id=129

The above is a website that links to the specs of the flasher.

I tested to see what would happen if I removed the front incandescent and just left the rear LED and I found that it flashed at the same rate with or without the front incandescent bulb in and the LED didn't appear to get much brighter with the incandescent removed (maybe a little but not noticeably). Not sure exactly what conclusions to draw from this.

I may not have been entirely clear in my last post. I don't really understand how three terminal unit flashers work. I presume one input is the hot for the left signal and one for the right with the 3rd and final being 12V power to the flasher?

I am also not clear as to what the existing 5 wires are going in the unit. My guess as per your previous post would be that the existing 5 wires consist of 2 ground wires, 1 12V power and a "hot" wire for both the left and right signals. If my presumption is right this would mean that once I find out which two are ground wires I just connect them both to a frame ground and then play guess and check with the last three on the new electronic flasher?

I have no problem with trial and error as long as error does not lead to $$ and I have an edgamucated guess as to where to start.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #15

Now you know my motivation to keep the slower blink rate!

I also have a hunch that the mixing of incandescent and led lamps on the same circuit is causing some troubles.

Meanwhile, the Trico website has basically nothing on installing their product...maybe they should stick to wiperblades :roll:

I know you must be getting impatient by now. Can you get a few detailed pics out, with wire colors and pin-outs?

One step at a time Brother,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.