Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #1

Where to buy a LF200GY-5?

I am about ready to order my 2nd Lifan, bought my LF200 (sportsbike version) from T-motorsports, but I am thinking of getting the GY-5 enduro from a different dealer. Does anyone know of a good place to buy one? Im looking for quality more then the cheapest price... If you bought one, please tell me what you paid total. Has anyone bought from EVOsales.com? Thank you in advance!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
what makes you not want to deal with T-motorsports again?

i ordered my gy200 5 from them yesterday and i was suprised at how fast they called me afterwards to verify my info and make sure everything was correct, give me a tracking # and the info to the shipping company that they use.

So far so good, we will see what happens when it arrives.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #3

Well....

When I ordered my first Lifan I asked for a bill of sale (it never came), I also didnt know the MCO (certificate of origin) would not be stamped with EPA/DOT compliance. Soooooo, when I went to register the bike they told me not a chance, must proove the EPA compliance and get a bill of sale that includes the VIN number. So I spend the next two month or so trying to get all this paperwork in one place, faxing and mailing things back and forth, finally got it all and barely registered the thing, because on the EPA paperwork the model covered is LF200 but on the MCO it is TMS (for T-Motorsports). It was a very painful process, I think I got lucky in the end (three differend DMVs I tried) and I would rather not repeat it if I can...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #4

I have also had "not so pleasant" dealings with TMS on eBay. I would NOT recommend them.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #5

Find a local dealer. If not, keep in mind that the GY-5 is a 49-state DOT/EPA certified bike (however, not for California); not so sure about the LF200 sportbike. Evosales had some happy customers (although close to a year ago, haven't heard of anything recently), and Hooper Imports is supposed to be okay. Buy from Bruce at EJ Cycles or Tom at RPM and ride the bike home; it would be worth the extra cost to have the bike assembled properly and the 6 month warranty!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
I have also had "not so pleasant" dealings with TMS on eBay. I would NOT recommend them.
well SH!T... haha. Well hopefully i won't have to strangle the chinaman that i talked to the other day, through the phone. Hell i can already imagine a helluva time to get this bike squared away at the DMV, it's ALWAYS a pain doing ANYTHING there.

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #7

also, i have a bill of sale already. Its the page i printed out when i bought the bike off their site. I would just have to get it notarized and i would be good to go. (luckily for me, my dad happens to be a notary too!)

Vlad, where do you happen to live? just curious to know if maybe your state law and rules about vehicle registration is a pain, or if it was more TMS's fault.

I'm sure you will all know how my ordeal turns out, it will either be:

me posting here in the future with mods to my china bike, and entertaining stories of me doing stupid things OR

me on the new on a rampage in cali where TMS works out of, with my chinabike and an uzi. HAHA

Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #8

Diamo.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #9

Yeah...

Im in Oregon, the DMV is a serious pain here. Their own website said different things from what they kept saying to me. I also had the receipt printed from the website, but the DMV told me without a signature of the original owner (TMS representative) and the VIN number of the bike on it, this receipt is worthless. I am sure other states may have it easier, but some may even have it worse. I got a bill of sale form from the DMV, filled it out with the VIN and everything and faxed it to TMS. I got it faxed back to me signed, took it to the DMV and they didnt take it cause the signature was faxed... So I filled out another form and mailed it, got it back a week later signed. Took it in, then there was the EPA/DOT issue. The bike MCO didnt have the compliance stamp, therefore I had to prove compliance before registry. I emailed TMS and they got me a general year/model compliance form. This form had the models that comply listed EXCEPT that on the MCO the model listed was: TMS, and the EPA paperwork only had the LF abbreviations. Soooo, the DMV told me to go &^$^%$ myself once again. I went to a different DMV, where I got a nice old lady, used my charm and distracted her from looking at the model thing... She let it pass, but I think I got extremely lucky. When you go to the DMV, a definite clue you are in trouble is when they take your paperwork and go in the back room, nothing good happens from here on =) Anyways, this is my Lifan saga, I have a folder full of papers and phone numbers, like 30 emails and a serious dislike of the DMV to prove it. I wish you good luck, but if you do run into similar situation above is a blueprint of action...

Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #10

damn vlad, sorry to hear about all your troubles, and i knowwww all about the dmv and the backroom managers.. thats when you are just like SH!T!!! what do i have to do now! bahahahah.

i will post back and let you all know what the situation is when i try to get my bike on the road...

Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #11

Hey Vlad call that number that I gave you and talk to Al Gou, tell him you are interested in buying a GY-5 from him if he would work with you on the paper work. Trust me...this cat will do anything for a sale. When my cousin bought his GY-5 from him, he mailed a legit bill of sale which he himself signed and filled out everything on the back of the MCO you just need to clearly express what needs to be done. When the bike arrived...before we even had the bike together my cousin already had insurance and tags for it and got the inspection on the test ride. Louisiana is one of the hardest states to get anything done at the DMV without having to give a DNA sample to prove everything is legit and this is due to all of the corruption and sale of hurricane vehicles. So if you talk to Al and get everything squared away you shouldnt have any problems at the DMV.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #12

A not active member, 'eddyfx' who happened to live in Phoenix told me about an off-site licensing office that is officially endorsed by the AZ MVD, but is privately owned and for profit. I had the "back room" deal, too, but mine would have been taken care of had I title bonded the title, and brought the bike back for a visual inspection. (They didn't think the MCO looked "official" enough). This is simple enough, and is the same process that one uses in AZ to get a quad street registered as they are off-road only bikes; you need to get the title bonded due to the fact that they were never intended for the street--the visual inspection proves that you have the minumum required street equipment.

However, a bond is about $125 or more (supposed to be 10% of the value). It would be worth it to get a quad registered if I really wanted a streetable quad, but an enduro has all the required equipment for the street; I figured that the supervisor who gave the thumbs down is affiliated with a title bond person as there is alot of the wild west, old boy network mentality here in Yuma.

It took about 10 minutes at the Cash and More MVD offsite office--they charge $10 (maybe $15, I don't remember) over the cost of the paperwork, so my total was about $47 instead of $37. Vlad, you proved my point--you can usually go around the system if you run into a snag.

However, like I said earlier, your bike is not recognized by the DOT for 49-state certification, but the enduro, the LF200GY-5 is, and would have been an easier bike to register in Oregon. But I do stress to go with a physical dealer to help avoid such problems. BTW, Vlad, you should look up member 'Alchemy' as he is from Oregon, although not sure where.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #13

So it appears that t-motorsports is only a pain if you buy a TMS (a rebadged Lifan)??
So if one bought a Lifan, there would be no problems?

I wonder why he even bothered with a TMS, who the heck would want to buy a no-namer?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #14

all the chinese companies are no brand.. they are pretty much the same bikes but rebadged for sale. The TMS lifan is a lifan with their stickers and whatnot..

Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #15

I think the MCO says TMS, and some stickers on the bike says it, but the bike should still say Lifan on the manufacturer's plate. TMS used to import the Shineray enduros, and still import the Shineray off-road bike (liverchip's bike) but put their own name (somewhere) on it.

I don't know why they do bother to do this?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150