Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #1

Replaced stolen 07 w/ 06 GY-5 some observations

Tonight I went out and spent the insurance monies I received a couple of days ago. I took my new Lifan to my Wife's parents place (about a 6 km ride, storing it there for the long Canada day weekend since we will b away from the apt, less likely to be stolen out there), and I have a few observations: The bike vibrates like crazy, it is non counterbalanced so I expected some vibes but it seems like a bit much; the bike has about 4500 kms on it and apparently he has never adjusted the valves; the bike wouldn't go into neutral when sitting idling after the drive but went in as soon as I turn the bike off (the clutch feels a little stiff maybe he has the cable too tightly adjusted?); I was all excited about trying out my new alarm and it wouldn't work, the lights would flash but no noise from the horn; the signal lights work but as soon as the brake is applied the lights slow down and become really dim, also when brake is applied all signal lights light up along with rear brake light (seems kinda strange to me).

I suspect, maybe I am wrong, but I think that all the electrical problems, signals not flashing when brakes applied and lack of horn on alarm are related to the battery perhaps being low, seeing as the bike hasn't been driven much this season. I am hoping that the transmission being so stiff will be remedied by a simple oil change and perhaps a clutch adjustment.

As far as the vibes go I guess I will just have to live with them for now.

Thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #2

Do the engine rebolt and that will help the vibes. Oil change and clutch adjustment probably fix the shift issues.

Battery may need a good charge otherwise check the connections too.

Allen

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 AM   #3

and adjust the valves ASAP!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 AM   #4

The horn doesn't work with the alarm, it has a separate siren under the seat, there's a ton of extra wiring associated with the alarm so double check nothing is cut... I also believe the alarm, even when not used will drain your battery, my gy5 battery never lasted well, but my 6 without alarm has been fine...

The signals flashing with the brakes can be disabled easily (I did this on mine), under the left side cool boy cover, find the flasher box, and remove the g/y wire from it. (I'll find my post about this).

Oil change and clutch adjustment should help with the shifting.

Definitely check all the engine bolts, especially the upper rear one that goes all the way across the bike... My 5 always vibrated a bit, but when the bolt was snapped it was especially bad.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #5

Quote:
1)remove the seat
2)remove the left side "cool boy" cover (the white one, held on with 3 screws, 2 have bolts behind if I recall correctly)
3)Find the signal flasher box, it should be hanging of the left side on a rubber mount.
4)Disconnect the plug.
5)Remove the G/Y (green/yellow, one wire with two colors on it) wire from the plug, you can do this with some sort of a pin, stick it in the end to push the clip out of the way, and pull the wire out.
5)Wrap some electrical tape around the wire you removed and just tape it off to the wire loom or whatever so it is out of the way and doesn't short out.
6)Reconnect the plug, test, then reinstall into the rubber mount, replace side cover, replace seat, and you are done.

PS. You don't need to cut anywires, just use a pin as suggested... Also, this is a good time to silence the beeping winkers... it's the same box, just stuff some foam or something into the rectangular hole in the end of the box, and wrap it over with electrical tape a few times (before you reinstall the side cover and seat).

Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #6

Make sure your chain is not adjusted to tight. It can really cause added vibes. Shifting can also be sluggish from a too tight chain, your engine sprocket can be binding in the chain causing the gears not to mesh.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #7

I finally have had a chance to fix up my bike some. Right now my hands are covered in Gorilla Glue. I went ahead and did all the engine bolts with gorilla glue, I haven't had a chance to ride it but am looking forward to it (I will be registering the bike tomorrow on my lunch break if all goes well) The chain was extremely tight, that has been remedied, the valves were both at 6 thou. which I also adjusted to the spec of 2 thou.

I pulled out the carb slide just to have a look and see where the needle was and it was at the bottom, so I moved it up one since I found that is where my previous gy5 ran well. When I pulled the slide out though there was some carbon on the slide, I suspect related to the valves being way out of spec and somehow causing carbon deposits to be chucked into my carb.

I disconnected the "winkers" and the brakes from one another and that solved that problem, thanks Jim. I changed the oil to a nice synthetic which I was running in my old GY with much success.

The reason for the poor shifting is because the clutch on this engine seems to be a lot stiffer and has to be pulled back further in order to work properly, I prefer to pull the clutch with two fingers and my old GY worked well that way but on this one the clutch lever is hitting my other two fingers (the ones resting on the bars) before the clutch is fully engaged (I hope I worded that so it makes sense). I guess I will just have to change my clutching accordingly.

I expect by tomorrow evening I will be riding a great running Lifan. My alarm still isn't working well but I suspect it is due to a weak battery.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenski
I finally have had a chance to fix up my bike some. Right now my hands are covered in Gorilla Glue. I went ahead and did all the engine bolts with gorilla glue, I haven't had a chance to ride it but am looking forward to it .
I think GG is the real deal for fixing this vibration issue. I've been pleased so far with how much it helped mine. And it seems to be staying fixed. I thought I had this issue "fixed" a couple times before.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #9

Gorilla Glue didn't seem to stop all vibes, it did help some I am sure but the bike is still quite buzzy. I am hearing something buzzing from around the back tire, I suspect it is the chain guard.

As far as the alarm goes, can anyone suggest a cheap 12V siren of sorts? It appears that mine is not longer working, it will tick but is not loud at all. IF I can find a cheap, loud 12V siren I will just simply unplug the old and wire in the new.

GH

Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Gorilla Glue didn't seem to stop all vibes, it did help some I am sure but the bike is still quite buzzy. I am hearing something buzzing from around the back tire, I suspect it is the chain guard.
It may be your passenger peg holders if they are welded to the frame like mine OR the plaquard holder. I'm ok with this level of vibration. The varying vibration I was getting at different speeds has been fixed so far with the GG. I still may do the front (2) engine mounts to see if it makes any additional difference.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
It may be your passenger peg holders if they are welded to the frame like mine OR the plaquard holder. I'm ok with this level of vibration. The varying vibration I was getting at different speeds has been fixed so far with the GG.
I too am okay with a certain level of vibes as well. It is a non counterbalanced single. I will check the plate holder and the footpeg mounts as well. I got a chance to take it out for about a half hour ride tonite and it definitely has more power than my old counterbalanced bike but I would say that it is very very buzzy and there is varying vibration at different speeds.

Maybe I should retry the Gorilla Glue sometime soon. What was the exact method that you followed for the Gorilla Glue application? I simply removed one bolt at a time and then covered the bolt with glue except for the threads and pushed it in through. I didn't apply water to the motor mounts to act as a catalyst as suggested by the GG packaging. Perhaps there is something else wrong with my bike other than just the motor mounts that is causing the varying vibes.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
What was the exact method that you followed for the Gorilla Glue application?
I didn't use any water either, but I did put the GG in one side of the opening then put my thumb there. Then I pushed the bolt through the other side so as to force the GG around the bolt and out that side.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
I didn't use any water either, but I did put the GG in one side of the opening then put my thumb there. Then I pushed the bolt through the other side so as to force the GG around the bolt and out that side.
That sounds like a better way of doing it that I did. I suspect mine didn't end up with the whole bolt being covered. I was concerned about leaving glue on the threads and then getting the nut stuck on and not being able to remove it if I ever need to. When I get a chance I will redo some of the main bolts that way and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks