Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #1

Iridium, AMD stg2, GY-5 test results

Hopefully this will put to rest a few questions on performance of the 2 up grades.
Firstly I had drilled out the exhaust through the exhaust hole with a extra deep 3/8ths drill. I drilled through 2 baffels low and hi for 4 extra holes inside. The bike is ALOT louder, probably too loud. But ill fix that this winter by cuting the end off and making a bolt in glass pack perforated core. other than that, I had the trottle needle clip 1 notch up from the bottom. With the bike in this condition, it would slow down to 49mph on a long grade before toping the hill.
I installed a new Denso IX24 Iridium from http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5222794 and didn't expect any difference except longer plug life, but I was wrong. The bike actualy idled on its own cold with out the normal minute or 2 of reving i had to use to get the stock plug to idle. Next, I droped the thottle slide E clip down to the bottom notch giving max fuel out of the stock jetting. Here at start up the bike picked up about 200 rpm's at idle with the richer fuel setting and a very slight mid range hessitation disappeared.
With the bike in this condition, I hit the 3/4 mile hill. Right off I noticed the bike would pull 8K on the tac for 60mph before hitting 5th. With stock fuel setting, you had to wait for ever to see 8K on a slight hill! the bike now pulled the hill at 54mph!
Now i install the stage 2 AMD box and right off the top, the starter sounded like I had a week battery. It did start tho and when it did, the idle was way up to 3K. So I turn it down some and found it rather rough and uneven idleing. I hit the hill climb and much to my dismay, the bike seemed a tiny bit lazyer to get to my 8K shift point giving me a approch of 59 mph at the base of the hill. The hill slowed the bike to 53mph. I went back and put the stock timing box back in and hit the hill. Again, I pulled it just at 53 or just a tad under 54 and I noticed it would recover stronger toping the hill over the AMD box. I other words, Does anybody want to buy a once used AMD stage 2 box for 30 Bucks?? Torque wise, I know I wasted my money.
The only other mod Im thinking about is possibly scrounging up a pair of titanium push rods. I used to have an old CL100 as a kid and that OHC engine would red line at 11000 rpm's. The push rod cart racing engines are all running light wieght titanium rods. With steel rods as long as they are in this engine, I bet you would find a noticable power difference with no MPG penalty. There are a few outfits that will make up custom titanium push rods. Would anyone be interested in going in on a pair?